Windows 11 Thoughts!

Hi, has anybody on this forum had tried windows 11?

What u like about Windows 11?
Tell the things you hate about it.

My company will slowly change to Windows 11, so I will have some experience in a few weeks. Otherwise Iā€™m mostly interested in having better WSL. Besides programming in Visual Studio I have changed my whole working environment to WSL. So my hope is to just be reliant on Windows for Programming and running our programs, while I do everything else in WSL.

2 Likes

Tell me more about your experience in WSL

Why do u prefer WSL over native LINUX

Tell me more about your experience in WSL

Itā€™s mostly just working in the terminal and having a lot of scripts that do certain tasks inside my Windows file structure. So itā€™s not that interesting in terms of special thing I do. With WSL slowly getting GUI support that may change soon. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m mostly interested in at the moment.

Why do u prefer WSL over native LINUX

Because I need Windows for certain tasks and our programs are Windows only. On top of that, I simply donā€™t have the permission to change to Windows. Would be pretty pointless to run a Windows only program from a WM, if itā€™s your job, because a ā€œrealā€ install is always better for testing.

1 Like

@I0F I think you and me are on same boat.

i love linux, but there are some windows programs that i need, to do my work

I have one question, can we rum gui linux programs in WSL?

I tried it a bit, but had some problems because back then I had a not officially released AMD GPU with a closed source driver, so it didnā€™t work that well. Itā€™s pretty hit and miss right now. At least thatā€™s what I heard from colleagues.

But this is mostly just running GUI apps in WSL. Iā€™m more interested in working with a full DE or WM. That also somehow works, at least from my research, but still has to grow a little bit more.

1 Like

at-least they are improving support for it

In the end itā€™s just incredibly funny they are slowly implementing full Linux installs into Windows. Itā€™s so weird to have a software developer implement a free opposing product into their system. But I guess they really just want you to use Windows for data collection and having Windows as a operation system has become secondary. They just hope people will mainly use Windows because of this.

I hate everything about it, the fact that it exists I hate the most.

We already have a topic about this.

9 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I didnā€™t try it because the system requirements donā€™t allow it to run on either a physical or virtual machine. At the time, I was testing Windows 10 as an insider.

I hate everything about it, the fact that it exists I hate the most.

In the end it does somewhat the same as WINE. They use an open source system an let it run on Windows, so people can use Linux programs. Hating it is besides the point, because itā€™s all about having all tools at your disposal on the same system. Most people use their PC as a tool for a specific purpose, so the philosophy behind it is at best secondary.

3 Likes

As long as we have Linux. . . . Especially KDE/Cinnamon. . . I donā€™t really care about Windows 11.

All of my other thoughts and views can be read in the previous thread of very similar title/topic.

1 Like

Extend. Embrace. Extinguish.

-M$ dev team

2 Likes

I donā€™t use windows on my computer, and am not really excited about that release unless they would go full open source and replace their system by gnu/linux. Which is probably not going to happen (yes I had some naive hopes).

I have two computers at work with windows, it is almost impossible to login or add another user without being logged into ms online account. I donā€™t know when that happened, but users donā€™t own a copy of windows or their pc, they become owned by ms. I really dislike this philosophy.

Well, you have to remember, that any program you use through WSL still has to work inside Linux. Overall this will probably be a good thing for Linux software, because WSL will increase the reach Linux software has. So how exactly does Windows extinguish Linux and its software, if exactly that is necessary for WSL in the first place?

I never had to use an MS account, though. May that be a thing for Home Editions? Because the Enterprise/Professional Edition doesnā€™t have any restriction like that, afaik.

Could be, I would have to check. Itā€˜s just an annoyance for me, they make it extra difficult to change the account from online to local, on purpose. :unamused:

You should care, for the reason you yourself have stated:

1 Like

I fail to see how what Microsoft does in WSL would extinguish Linux kernel and operating systems based upon it. Please shed some (informed :wink:) light!

:school: :books: :bulb:

That has long been Microsoftā€™s attitude and their actions, not only towards Linux but also every little software developerā€™s application or utility that MS envied. And it is not just their mantra, but their actions that prove it as truth.

That being said, Iā€™m posting from a machine that is and has been running Win 11 Insider builds for the past six months. Their posture is that greater hardware security features implemented means greater physical security. To some degree that is true, but Windows users have always been more impacted by socially engineered malware/spyware/viruses.

And you canā€™t beat common sense into people that havenā€™t developed any.

At one time prior to my retirement I worked for a small-mid sized local government and everyone ran a Windows desktop. However, all of their serversā€“all of themā€“ran on Debian, except for the mailserv that ran SuSE. That was their security model and their servers were bombarded daily, as are most governmental agencies.

During the five years I worked there, no outside vectors ever made it past our server security. What did slow everything down to a crawl system-wide was when a construction engineer installed (unknowingly) a virus-laden ā€œgameā€ application to his personal laptop, then plugged it into the agencyā€™s system and yada, yada.

Again, you canā€™t beat common sense into people that havenā€™t developed any.

Oh yeah, what I like about Windows(11)):

• Itā€™s easier for me to setup surround-sound server audio output. We stream to this machine for all of our A/V, so that is important to me.
  • We arenā€™t limited to 720p streaming in everything except Netflix, where we can only watch at 1080p with the help of a browser extension. MS Edge (win vers.) does not have this limitation.
  • Windows basic email & calendaring is better integrated and looks* better integrated than KMail (GNOMEā€™s Evolution is the most similar).

What I donā€™t like about Windows (11):

• Everything else.

However, now that Windows 11 has gone live and Iā€™m running and have fully explored the release build, itā€™s time to return to Linux. Something, something Archā€¦
:wink:

8 Likes