Stability vs Manjaro?

Hi. I am a very new user to Endeavour OS, but not to Arch as I was using Manjaro previously.
I thought I would try Endeavour OS out, and so far I like it a lot. However I just have a general question.
In terms of stability in comparison to Manjaro, how does it compare?
I know using the AUR can lead to breakages/security vulnerabilities and what not, but in terms of testing updates or making sure updates are stable, do the Endeavour OS team do that to any degree?
Manjaro has broken for me a few times, hence why I decided to distro hop. I don’t use the AUR too much, only if needed, but was just wondering how much more, or less stable this is compared to Manjaro?
TIA

5 Likes

Welcome @anon78451888

2 Likes

Define “stable”?

If you mean “how often do you get updates?”, then you will find you get more updates more frequently because you’re using the Arch stable repos.

If you mean “will things break?”, then you will get the same number of breakages as any other rolling-release distro, but you will get smaller breaks than with larger sets of updates.

9 Likes

Welcome! :slight_smile:

It’s mostly really tested on Arch itself, however here we got announcements to alert people if something will / could break, or you can get help on forum here very quickly! :slight_smile:

All in all - a little less hand-holding than Manjaro, but pretty stable if you know your system well :wink:

3 Likes

It is the Arch devs who do that. By default you are on the Arch Stable branch, which is similar to Manjaro’s Unstable branch.

The terms Stable and Unstable are somewhat misleading, they have little to do with stability of the system, but more with update frequency. So in that regard, pure Arch (including EndeavourOS) is more bleeding edge than Manjaro, which is slightly delayed.

It’s a double edged sword. On one hand, Manjaro is less prone to breaking, because its updates are curated and tested on other Manjaro systems. On the other hand, Manjaro updates are huge, and whenever you have such a large update, chances of something breaking are higher. I don’t have much experience with breakage on either distro: I’ve used Manjaro for about a year, and never had anything break, and I’ve used EndeavourOS for about three weeks, and also, nothing broke yet, to knock on wood.

But, I did have to be mindful of the last kernel update on one of my computers running EndeavourOS. Had I not installed a backup lts kernel, I would not be able to update to the latest kernel before the drivers in the AUR were updated as well. I foresaw that there could be an issue with it and had asked about it on the forum some three weeks ago, and so I was warned about it in time and ready.

Whenever you’re using a rolling release distro, it’s a good idea to learn about Timeshift. It can make your life much easier in case of an update that breaks things.

8 Likes

welcome

1 Like

Welcome to the fun :tada::balloon:

1 Like

I’ll second the point @Kresimir makes here. It’s a real game changer when you can roll back to a prior snapshot of your system with little delay.

I’m set up with daily system snapshots via TimeShift and hourly snapshots of my home directory with BackInTime. I no longer worry about what the next release might break, since it can reliably roll back to an older version with out a lot of hassle.

PS - Welcome to EndeavourOS!

4 Likes

Welcome and enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Welcome to the most stable OS ever!

6 Likes

a bold claim…

Only Suicide Linux is more stable :zipper_mouth_face: :laughing:

11 Likes

Thank you all for your replies. I can already tell this community is very helpful.
Though after reviewing all the answers it begs the question, why should someone choose Endeavor OS over Manjaro?
OTHER THAN the obvious being that Manjaro isn’t as close to vanilla Arch as Endeavour is and Manjaro has more preinstalled packages.
I’m not being condescending, I’m genuinely curious.

If you’re excluding the main differences between Arch and Manjaro then it’s mainly down to personal preference. You might also find other views in some other threads on the forum:

4 Likes

I tend compare with car, with a new car i always need to find out the handling of the cae wwhen i used to a car i know the limits :sweat_smile:

Stability is subjective sure if you can hold packages back. And test with more pc’s for dome short comings is also not a waterproof concept. Also how bigger te updates is also bigger the search range.

Things from aur need sometimes a rebuild if example gcc is updated.

Personal is pretty subjective but hang on the community can educate a lot to know the.limits :sweat_smile:

Well that 1st thread - (Manjaro to EndeavourOS experiences) was horrible and did a bad job at explaining the differences. It was just people making jokes and going way off topic.
Anyway, I guess I found my answer from the other threads. I am still stuck as to which to choose as my daily driver but I am enjoying EOS so far, outside of the few offline installer bugs I had and initial XFCE bugs with my wireless keyboard,

1 Like

Well, I’ve only been using EOS for 3 weeks now, so I can’t say much about its stability yet. But at least the many smaller updates have been running smoothly so far. My reason for choosing EOS before Manjaro was another one (Manjaro Management, direction the Dirtri seems to be going). But I can already say that I learned more in the last 3 weeks than in the years before with Manjaro and other distributions. Besides, a freshly installed EOS is wonderfully clean - no bloatware on it.

edit: with Manjaro I had problems every now and then after an update …

What direction are they going?
And what are some of the things have you learnt using EOS in the last 3 weeks?
I have also had problems every so often with Manjaro after updates. I am hoping I don’t have the same update hell on EOS, and as someone earlier pointed out, I always use TimeShift and backup regularly, but for me it’s the principal of the matter. Just hoping I don’t have the same update hell on EOS

I will use EOS at least until I reach my own limits with rolling updates (I am a bit older and not as receptive and ready as before). But basically I am very happy to be able to use Arch in an easier way. I will continue to watch Manjaro, if only because I still have to maintain it on my wife’s computer. For me it would probably be plan B if I ran out of brain cells for EOS. What have I learned? I’ve definitely learned to do a lot more with the terminal, I’ve learned what needs to be installed after a fresh installation to achieve what I’m used to. I have learned to walk more myself than to be carried (Manjaro).

1 Like

I must say that I had the most problems with Manjaro after updates when I was still using KDE. With Xfce things became quieter. Nevertheless I like KDE and I will try EOS KDE sometime.