Curious about general consensus of DE among Endeavouros users?

:rofl:

30 fps are readable to the human eye. Anything above is mere marketing. :rofl:

etc. etc. etc.

:bearded_person:

1 Like

Show me a Linux user whinging about how Wayland is buggy and broken, and I will show you a KDE user. :wink:

Your grievance is not with Wayland, it is with KDE where Wayland is not well implemented (still). Once again, KDE is offering a feature which is still a bit rough around the edges. If I were using KDE I probably wouldn’t be in a big rush to switch either.

If you long for anecdotal accounts of Wayland’s superiority, how it feels faster and smoother, blah blah blah, look at my frames per second now, blah blah blah, then you will find a lot more of that in the Gnome community where Wayland has been the default for a long time. I have also seen many issues in the forums where folks are anguishing over config files trying to get a display to change resolution or whatever, when finally they will switch to Wayland and it will work as desired with no intervention needed.

Personally I use mostly Sway, which doesn’t offer a choice…but I use i3 as well for certain things. Sway does feel faster and smoother, but my i3 rigs are weird (an LXC container that runs on Xwayland, and a VNC server) so there are many other factors that contribute to that experience. Side-by-side it is unlikely I would notice an appreciable difference, because both code bases are incredibly lean anyway and tend to be blazing fast because of that.

A web browser is an example of an area where most folks will be able to appreciate how Wayland is faster and smoother, particularly media playback. Give it a shot and decide for yourself:

$ MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox

or

[chrome-based-browser-of-choice] --ozone-platform-hint=auto

I get that you have to operate a machine that gets along with Wayland in the first place. :wink:

Specific, personal, relatable story of Wayland improving my life...

Polly wants a cracker!

honka_animated-128px-28

That might be true, yes, a lot of stuff with Wayland is broken on KDE. But I doubt all my problems with Wayland are specific to KDE.

For example, I want to have a window that is not focused be able to poll for global coordinates of the mouse cursor – an elementary and pretty common task, you would think, right? Impossible on Wayland. And I really need my Xeyes! :eyes:

Or, I want to save my global clipboard history or use the clipboard to share data between applications… Or, I want one program to register key presses in another program and react to them… Wayland just makes it so difficult, if not impossible. These are elementary features that I would expect from any desktop – a lot of my daily workflow depends on them. Screen recording? Remote desktop? Such a pain on Wayland. Have a 10 pixel gap between monitors? Nope, your mouse gets locked on one screen!

Also, the performance being better on Wayland is mostly a myth. Many games work better on Xorg if I turn off compositing. On Wayland I can’t do that.

Sure, but ɢɴᴏᴍᴇ sucks, that’s hardly a selling point for Wayland. :sweat_smile: If I wanted to use a crappy version of MacOS, I’d use MacOS.

Sway, on the other hand, is pretty nice, I wouldn’t mind using that.

When it comes to web browsers, my philosophy is that the purpose of a web browser is to display hypertext. It’s not a media player, and I do not use it as such. In fact, my browser is so hardened, it won’t play any video or audio whatsoever. If I want to watch a YouTube video, I download it and watch it in my media player of choice. The experience is much better, because the online player YouTube uses is just awful, I think the kids in the special needs class could program a better media player than the engineers at Goolag.

2 Likes

This explains a lot of “cembaloing”. :laughing:

Well, yeah, it lacks the most basic functionality (which is often justified with some mythical “security” ideal, while most of the actual security issues that are likely to impact me do not actually depend on the display server and are just as present on Wayland as on Xorg).

2 Likes

Love your “baroque” ways. :smile:

EDIT:

Tell this to your grand-children. I still keep trying to teach my children, and it is more than hard to get them off a YouTube app, already. :wink:

The future seems dark in that respect. :new_moon:

Perhaps they already did, it’s Goolag after all :rofl:

1 Like

Well, I have actual reasons why I don’t like Wayland – it severely limits what I can do with my computer and negatively impacts my daily workflow. That’s why I’m asking people for actual, personal reasons how Wayland improves their experience. I don’t care about the official sales pitch. :parrot:

3 Likes

You overestimate their abilities (and underestimate the kids).

Still waiting for my cracker here!

honka_animated-128px-20

:v:

Me too, Polly, me too.

:skull:

Screenshot_20230529_181220

I’m sticking to Xorg. I get all the talking points for Wayland but still don’t see much reason to switch yet. The only thing that might get me to switch someday is HDR support. There’s been some recent development (finally) in HDR support on Plasma. Hopefully it’ll be here by the year of the Linux desktop.

I’ve been using Gnome+Wayland since Oct 21, mostly fine here but I have a simple setup.
Discrete AMD GPU without integrated graphics in my CPU, single monitor, I don’t use non common apps…

I have one problem that is affecting me right now that is related to qt6 6.5.1-1… This QT version is causing problems to qBittorrent, but it still usable. So, for me, Wayland is perfectly fine but I do understand why a lot of users don’t want to jump into it yet.

Well, my system, my rules… :slight_smile:

Could you explain to me how Wayland support improves your Linux experience? Especially in regards to your hardware setup and the software you use.

How does someone who uses “discrete AMD GPU without integrated graphics, single monitor, and no uncommon apps” benefit from Wayland support? What specific issues do you personally experience with Xorg that Wayland fixes?

I use Firefox, Thunderbird, HexChat, Signal-Desktop, MPV, Drawing, Drawio, Libreoffice, Brave, Wireshark, Qbitorrent , Conky and Xsane… These are my daily apps for media consumption and work.

I see that mostly of the problems people have is when using multiple GPUs, and/or Nvidia GPUs, or multiple monitors with different resolutions/refresh rates.

It feels smoother and faster… Firefox with VAPI HW acceleration is the best experience I had since always.

So, for my use case, if it wasn’t for this glitch in QBittorrent, Wayland would be working flawless.