Curious about general consensus of DE among Endeavouros users?

What is the issue with qbittorrent. I’m running Wayland on KDE and i launch qbittorrent and it seems to be okay. I’m on Ryzen with AMD Gpu.

Did you upgrade to qt6-5compat?

Edit: Just wondering how you have qt6.5

2 Likes

System is up to date but I don’t have that package :thinking:

Not sure if you have them or if they might help:

local/qgnomeplatform-qt5 0.9.1-5
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt5 application inclusion in GNOME
local/qgnomeplatform-qt6 0.9.1-5
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt6 application inclusion in GNOME

Just installed qbittorent and I am not seeing any glitches. Not sure what I should pay attention to.

1 Like

hm, just installed, rebooted the system just to be safe, but the problem persists.
Only downgrading qt6 from 6.5 to 6.4 solves the issue.

But thanks for the suggestion :+1:

1 Like

So. . . basically everyone likes something different. Wayland and x11 are both solidly in use today, while wayland is the future (it’s been said so for like forever many years now) and x11 is the past (it should have been retired also forever many years ago) but both seem to be supported for the foreseeable future anyways. So. . MORE CHOICES.

Basically if your computer works, and you’re happy with it. Use that one.

1 Like

This might interest you:

1 Like

Cool. So, basically x11 is xwayland and still supported going forwards and can basically just run together?

How does this work for xeyes so Kresimir can use Wayland? I just tried it on my (Fedora - so very much RHEL that has deprecated the package) and it appears to work within xeyes - but if I move out of the window to say a terminal or desktop that is clearly wayland, the eyes stop following my mouse again. So, it’snot working right, even though I have xwayland installed. . . it’s not really supported by xwayland, even if they claim it to be.

X11 applications will be supported through xwayland.

Seems they are working to resolve the remaining issues, so perhaps with time …

Turkey Linux

I just asked one of the devs of RHEL/Fedora - and about xeyes specifically - and they said - xeyes is impossible due to security. Possibly a kde widget or gnome-extension can be made, but “due to security xeyes is flat out impossible to implement”

Pretty disheartening for @kresimir - and I know he’s not the only one out there who needs some ofthese things. x11 proper will be around for a very very long time I’d guess.

update:

Screenshot from 2023-05-30 09-43-33

That’s sad but I guess it’s sort of a “collateral damage” :rofl:

It’s fake security, an utterly bollocks excuse.

Linux desktop is crippled by removing essential features, yet most of the real security issues have nothing to do with display server.

That’s why Wayland will never replace X11. It has no future, it’s just a fad that people will get bored of.

For the sake of xeyes, I hope you’re right. . . Cause without it, xeyes is completely dead, and your computer will need to be run over and pitched in the bin as if it were yesterday’s trash.

No, I’m not talking only about Xeyes. Xeyes merely illustrates what is wrong with Wayland. I’m talking about all the other features and practical applications of one window seeing other window’s data, shared clipboard, keypresses, etc. This is not security, this is a crippled feature set.

It’s exactly like saying: your computer is most secure when it is turned off (technically, that is true), so this new display server will not let you turn on your computer. It’s for the sake of security.

HACKERMAN

Yes i can see this if they are talking only about Gnome?

Looks like RHEL/Fedora are planning to drop Xorg completely :thinking:

2 Likes

It’ll be in xwayland for now. But, I’d imagine eventually that will also get deprecated.