Attention grub update

update to grub 2:2.06.r415.g1a241e050-1 is live.
Like on every update of the grub package it is recommended to reinstall grub files into the system (grub-install) and regenerate the grub.cfg as you will get noticed in the update terminal.
Make sure to do this before rebooting after the update!!

:: To use the new features provided in this GRUB update, it is recommended
   to install it to the MBR or UEFI. Due to potential configuration
   incompatibilities, it is advised to run both, installation and generation
   of configuration:
     $ grub-install ...
     $ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

see here:

18 Likes

Not trying to be a stickler about this, but this is absolutely necessary?

It is recommended. It is your system and up to you if you choose to do it or not.

6 Likes

what are the consequences of not updating the grub? o:

It is more about making sure the used package and installed files work nicely together, in cases it could be something changed on package what is not compatible with what is installed by older package into the system.

This will not be the case for every grub update but redoing these two steps is the recommended safe way to handle it.

1 Like

It depends what you mean by this.

1. Don’t update the package grub at all: It will probably break eventually when something becomes incompatible. You also won’t get security updates.
  2. Don’t run grub-install but do run grub-mkconfig: Any updates that grub makes to the EFI stub(including security issues) will not be present on your system. Additionally, if there is an incompatibility between the EFI stub and the generated grub config it could result in an unbootable system
  3. Don’t run grub-install or grub-mkconfig: Any updates that grub makes to the EFI stub(including security issues) will not be present on your system. Also, if you ever add/remove a kernel and run grub-mkconfig you will could cause the same situation as #2
4 Likes

well… I thought I was getting security updates through UpdateInTerminal…

I would do it if it didn’t include so many things that I have no idea about and feel anxious about even trying to touch these settings…
but asking someone to do a 5-year-old step-by-step guide for me feels like too much to ask :face_holding_back_tears:
I guess I’m just gonna hope that if anything happens, someone kind and smart here will help me out :face_holding_back_tears:

by the way… will installing rEFInd free me from these issues?..

1 Like

The bootloader is special in that updating the package isn’t the same as installing the bootloader into the system.

It will free you from the grub issues but create refind issues. :wink:

After updating:

sudo grub-install --no-nvram
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
11 Likes

Phew lucky, I already updated it yesterday without running grub-install afterwards :sweat_smile:

1 Like

wait that’s it?.. I just run these two commands?..
I thought it would be way longer and more difficult lol
thanks so much!!

oh, also…
if I have already fully updated my system through terminal and rebooted as of this moment… am I in trouble? :"d or should I still do all this? Will it not cause any issues?

2 Likes

yes you need only this two commands

1 Like

Why this though?

There is no reason to keep updating nvram for every update. In addition to the risk you introduce by constantly writing to nvram, there is no real benefit to do so.

As long as you update the EFI-stub, nothing else should be needed.

In theory you should only need to update nvram when you are doing your initial grub install.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, if I have already updated my system through terminal and rebooted as of now… should I still do this? Or am I in trouble?.. :"d

1 Like

not real trouble as long as you can boot just fine :wink: there is no issue it is only the recommended way to handle grub updates on arch now… to reinstall grub files and regenerate the grub.cfg…
and using --no-nvram option is smart to not rewrite the bootentry in the nvram.

3 Likes

if you run the two lines then it’s not a big change in your system, you just reinstall grub and regenerate the grub.cfg.

otherwise, if you don’t run these lines, then your grub could be corrupted and fixing it will take more effort than the two lines from dalto.

1 Like

Just a big thank you to the admins & others who support EOS users through this forum … The guidance and explanations shared here are simply first class. :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes