YAD window at login

Did a fresh install today (online install of Xfce) and when I log in I get a small window that’s too quick to get a screenshot of:

It just says “YAD” as header and then Cancel and OK, no error message or information.
I don’t even have to click on anything, it disappears after less than a second.

Edit: Managed to snatch a screenshot:
Screenshot_2021-01-11_12-28-21

EndeavourOS welcome uses yad (yet another dialog?) package i think, perhaps it’s bug in welcome

1 Like

I disabled welcome, didn’t help I’ll try enabling it and then disabling it again maybe?

Not sure, check your journalctl -p3 -xb to see if there are some detailed errors / coredumps
@manuel @joekamprad should know more

Oh yes. Tons of… something.

Here is the relevant bits at the end, I think. It’s what the summarizing says, look at these items.

jan 11 10:34:54 endeavour-xfce lightdm[979]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
jan 11 10:34:55 endeavour-xfce pulseaudio[1070]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
jan 11 10:35:33 endeavour-xfce systemd[1385]: eos-update-notifier.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/eos-update-notifier: No such file or directory

Edit, disabled the eos-update-notifier since i don’t use it, so now down to these two:

jan 11 11:32:25 endeavour-xfce lightdm[976]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
jan 11 11:32:26 endeavour-xfce pulseaudio[1067]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
lines 137-181/181 (END)

It seems the Autostart in Xfce insists to try to run several programs that are disabled? Might be the cause? Blueberry is set to start, but the icon is not there so it doesn’t and therefore fails.
Wallpaper-Once runs at every startup for some reason?
Welcome is set to autostart despite being disabled?
Update-notifier is that EOS-update-notifier (that is disabled and uninstalled) or Pamacs update notifier?

Screenshot_2021-01-11_12-20-28

Managed to snag a screenshot:

Screenshot_2021-01-11_12-28-21

I also have a coredump every login.

Update: Simply being brutal and uninstalling yad, welcome and reflector-simple removed the message (since yad is no more).

Update: Reinstalling any of these causes the error again.

This is really not a solution. The real way to resolve this is to ping @manuel and ask him to check on this. You have simply posted a (and not a very good one) workaround for the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the thourough investigation! :sweat_smile:

That little yad window is a known old bug and comes when session saving is enabled. At logout it leaves a yad window “hanging around” as a “zombie” for the next session.

There’s a quick&dirty workaround in Welcome to kill that “zombie” yad window at login, that’s why you may see it briefly at login.

These autostarters are in /etc/xdg/autostart.

Blueberry is set to start, but the icon is not there so it doesn’t and therefore fails.

This comes from the blueberry package.

Wallpaper-Once runs at every startup for some reason?
Welcome is set to autostart despite being disabled?

Both of these apps know by themselves if they are supposed to actually run. So to make all work independently of the DE, this approach was chosen. Probably another solution to do the same would work as well.

Update-notifier is that EOS-update-notifier (that is disabled and uninstalled) or Pamacs update notifier?

It is from Pamac.

2 Likes

Thank you, unfortunately that checkbox is NOT checked. I forgot to mention that. :frowning:

Strange. Did you have that enabled before?

No, it was actually the very first thing I checked (I remember this bug, tho the window was slightly different) from… 2019 I think?), but butterfly-brain me forgot to mention it.

When did you notice the extra yad window for the first time? I mean after the workaround was implemented (maybe about a year ago?). Is it a very recent discovery?

Back then was well… back then.
This time it was today, after my new install at lunch time. I did two earlier reinstalls within 5 days and neither of them had this problem…

That’s even more strange! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hang on, testing something. brb asap.

Okay, weirder!
I just reinstalled reflector-simple and welcome (since I don’t use notifier, I use pamac for update checks and package search, although i use terminal for installing / removing packages)

No weirdness.

HOWEVER; I also had to switch to the LTS kernel since I got Xorg-caused coredumps at login with the latest dkms nvidia drivers (460) today which I also never had before.

So, switching to the LTS kernel stopped BOTH the coredumps AND the weird window appearing. So… weirder and weirder, but at least the LTS kernel handles all my hardware just fine so I stick on it for now.

1 Like

That’s interesting!

There are a lot of weird little bugs in the 5.10 kernel. Fortunately they seem to have caused only relatively small and/or annoying issues so far. Surely many of the bugs will be fixed in the near future as the reports reach the kernel dev team.

Fortunately we have the LTS kernel available! Let’s see how it goes when 5.10 gets the LTS status in Arch…

1 Like

And let’s remember the unofficial LTS kernels by @jonathon

1 Like