Would it be bad to get an AMD laptop?

So from what I noticed today people had problems with the new AMD GPU drivers, can someone explain what caused this wave of errors ?

I’m fortunately using Intel + Nvidia in my old laptop, but I was contemplating to get an ryzen 5/7 , would that kinda affect the fact that I’m using endeavour os?

This kinda raised my skepticism, like a lot, cuz I used to have friends that told me never to buy an AMD laptop(but they were MacBook users) , despite the drastic price reduction AMD laptops have for some reason along with the insanely better battery life(idk why Intel uses so much more power)

Could it be possible that an AMD iGpu would be more unstable than an Iris Xe or Intel HD graphics under endeavour os/Garuda/Fedora ? Could it be possible that an AMD iGpu would require more manual intervention than Intel ones?

And funny enough, it’s the second time I heard people complaining about AMD GPU problems under arch Linux

Keep in mind this a forum where people come to get support. Seeing a small number of people having issues is not representative of a widespread problem.

In general amdgpu is far easier to work with than intel+nvidia.

I have several amd ryzen laptops and have never has any gpu related issues.

It is almost certainly true that amdgpu will be less trouble than nvidia. While I haven’t has any major problems with embedded Intel graphics I do find amdgpu to be a bit easier to work with than i915.

In summary, if it was for running Linux, an AMD option would be my first choice with a hybrid intel/nvidia as my last choice.

11 Likes

I have two AMD laptops running Linux over here and both run without hitches since day one. One of them runs both Fedora and EndeavourOS, and the other one EndeavourOS and Windows.
On the latter one, I have a handful of minor issues on Windows with it and zero issues on EndeavourOS.

4 Likes

I have all 3 amdgpu laptops 1 amdgpu desktop and one nvidia desktop. AMD is by far better than any Nvidia.

5 Likes

This may be the first time I’ve read this on Linux forum in many many years, and possibly ever.

Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 here, with AMD 6600 and 6700 GPU and no issues whatsover here.

Intel and AMD are kings in Linux. Nvidia barely gets a mention, and it’s not even an honorable one.

6 Likes

Generally speaking AMD will be trouble-free on Linux, compared to novidya…however, GPU is least of your problems when getting a laptop.

In the words of a famous man:

Nvidia F*** You!

4 Likes

also trouble free sailing here with only AMD GPU’s (and CPU’s) in desktops and notebooks in my private machines for several years now.
Before with Nvidia I had troubles with almost every major kernel update (I was using only distributions without precompiled nvidia packages …).
Intel integrated graphics of my work machine (i5 6500) was also quite troublefree but it was the missing features and performance due to years of neglected drivers by Intel that made me get a RX 550 into that system, too.

2 Likes

Also using AMD Notebook with Ryzen 7 7840HS and Radeon RX 7600M XT GPU, only issue is not working sleep or hibernation, everything else is working like a charm

everythin ok on my amd/amd laptop

Fully AMD here (7800X3D) with an RX 6700XT. Zero issues with EOS.

AMD Ryzen 7 5825U with Radeon Graphics here.

Zero issues with EOS. Have not tried other distro’s on it.

I switched to Team Red after the announcement that x11 will be dropped soon by the major distros and DEs. I don’t regret it.

Basically the summary you’re going to get across the board is AMD is generally many many many times better of an experience than Nvidia will likely give you. Nvidia is the number two biggest issue with Linux second only to users breaking their own system.

1 Like

I see, perhaps the only advantage I have is that my Nvidia card is literally ancient… Like MX 150 could have mature enough drivers in order not to act up and break the system

Most old Nvidia is better supported with the open source nouveau driver than most of the new ones with proprietary. Especially since they’ve been EOL and there’s never going to be proper Nvidia updates.

Hmm, strange, cuz with open source Nvidia the Nvidia drivers took like a bit more to open, but with the new non open source one, it works very well

I don’t remember if it was closing or opening of Linux distro, but this one is definitely faster, of also keeps the GPU at an ok temp… Max 40°C

Shrug, I might buy a new laptop this autumn, till that I’m still learning about this os, I kinda like it, the only thing that concerns me a bit is how quickly the Kernel is updated, but I guess this is the norm since this ain’t Linux mint anymore :joy::joy:

If the frequency of kernel updates troubles your thoughts, know that it is easy (and recommended) to run with an LTS (Long Term Support) version of the kernel to reduce the updates! (only security updates to the version you run will occur). Enjoy!

akm is tool provided for kernel exchanges/additions)

Isn’t this the LTS? If not how do I swap to LTS?

Looks up-to-date to me… There is information on our wiki (see header on our forum to access) or you can just use akm as it should be fairly straightforward on that! On the Welcome app is an entry for eos-apps-info as well, which will give you this:
file:///etc/eos-apps-info/pageinfo/akm/akm.html - which will display a similar info set if that url is dropped into a browser.

1 Like