Worm - a floating, tag based window manager

No level of expertise here but here’s my 2 cents worth:

If the idea is functionality, and you can get your head around it, lua is a good bet. Downside is ‘other’ users NOT getting their head around it - without lots of examples of uses (commented out alternatives in the script?)

Javascript is more widely known/understood, but less capable in my uses of it so far. nimscript I do not know. Good luck!

I’m right now thinking of JavaScript instead of Lua. The language sucks far more, but as you said more people know it; it also has very fast optimized interpreters. In addition, it has about a million languages that transpile to it, which allows for a lot more flexibility; you can use a nice, typed language. :thinking:

1 Like

Lua is incredible but very tough (for a lot of people at least). Is the "only problem’ of awesomewm.
Probably JavaScript is better if you want to maintain it more easy for the “masses”.

Sorry for a lot of double quote but tonight the words doesn’t came to mind here :joy:

2 Likes

I think lua is very simple, simpler than javascript, the bigger problem is not as many people know it.

Anyways, I’ve already implemented a functional javascript backend with Duktape. It is working perfectly; it is very fast and lightweight on memory (no difference from ipc method other than couple hundred kb!).

Probably by next week rewrite will be in usable state and I can publish it.

2 Likes

After trying out scripting more I don’t think this has any advantage over the old IPC system at all, so I’m probably going back in the rewrite. Still considering. Might use static toml file.

1 Like

Well, the rewrite is working excellently! It is now a dynamic WM instead of a floating WM, with first class support for master-stack tiling w/ gaps:
Publicly releasing the rewrite soon, stay tuned!

13 Likes

Very excited about it! Thanks for your work.

2 Likes

3 Likes

fancy! planning on finally releasing the rewrite tomorrow, and starting the community edition.

8 Likes

Thats a tint2 panel at bottom, right?

Also, can window be minimized?

indeed.

in the future, yes, but not implemented yet

3 Likes

I need to create a new README and some docs… buut, i’m really happy to announce the rewrite is released! check it out at the same github link (https://github.com/codic12/worm)

https://forum.endeavouros.com/uploads/default/original/3X/7/b/7be8d5436b1bddeedbe4604ec85c282487a6d6e7.jpeg

8 Likes

https://github.com/codic12/worm/blob/main/docs/wormc.md finally documented worm!

6 Likes

Working on drawing window buttons. They don’t do anything yet :wink:

2 Likes

Pssst ( they go on the left)

3 Likes

Right now text is hardcoded to left and window buttons to right. I’ll make it configurable later, not a huge amount of work.

That said, psst; it actually goes on the right :wink:

4 Likes

I apologize. In American we read top to bottom, left to right. I naturally start top left. :upside_down_face: hahaha

But seriously, looks like it’s coming along great!

2 Likes

Sorry for the inactivity, been working on a lot of features. Title-bar customization is almost done! here’s my current setup:

the positions of the button and text are configurable. after this I want to improve multi-monitor support a bit and tag a release! (and start working on the CE finally)

4 Likes

Only if you are unduly influenced by Windows attempts not to be sued by Xerox and Apple and… You will note that a opportunity to close the window STILL exists on the top left of Windows too…

Or, of course, you read right to left :grin:

1 Like

I demand a vertical title bar feature for those who read top to bottom :wink:

1 Like