Worm - a floating, tag based window manager

Someone actually created such a thing, and good-looking it was too! Unfortunately, development ceased. It wouid have made a much superior alternative to the abortion that Gnome foisted on the world to go with its CSD initiative!

I wish I could find a link to it now, but it is ‘lost’ to me at the moment… I think I first saw it in a list of ‘alternative’ options…

1 Like

Awesome WM supports vertical titlebars, just in case you want to explore.
I’m a lua noob though, can’t get to customizing and using it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Awesome (!) - does Awesome include close/min/max in the verticals?

I haven’t much lua myself (mostly in conjunction with conky!) so I doubt I could help… :grin:

1 Like

The thing you talked about might not be AwesomeWM, but it does support vertical titlebars.
Here’s one of my favorite rices

5 Likes

Definitely headed the right way…

Now - is there a mouseable version? :duck:

You mean the environment is mouse friendly? Yes it is. But you gotta customize it using Lua, thats the only issue (at least for me).
No graphical settings app like KDE or Gnome.

man, this is so beautiful. seems you are going to come with the leanest and meanest WM that is out there.

2 Likes

Lots of progress has been made, and I’m really happy. A release is being tagged tomorrow.

5 Likes

I’m really impressed by this project so far. I assume picom is the compositor of choice here?

2 Likes

The user can use any compositor he or she pleases, really, worm doesn’t particularly interact with any specific one. a wm is entirely unrelated to a compositor, and for the most part doesn’t need any code to integrate with it, aside from the occasional transparency stuff

1 Like

Looking forward to it. Does it tile also, or do you plan on implementing the possibility to switch between floating/tiling?

1 Like

Besides having a lean WM (like desktop) my goal is to learn a programming language (python). That’s why my choice was Qtile. If the objective is different then worm looks very tempting. still i think it does not harm to try another WM.
If i remember correctly according to distrotube guy most window managers are made in one language and configured by end users in another language. few exceptions are Awesome (lua) and Qtile (python)

It already tiles. that possibility already exists.

2 Likes

Awesome isn’t really an exception if I understand you right; it’s written in C, not Lua.

So I noticed that some WM’s like awesome use XCB instead of Xlib which is supposed to help with latency. Does that also apply to Worm?

No,worm uses xlib. the thing is xcb has saner naming,but it’s very verbose because of the nature of the X11 protocol.I like to think of it as ‘3x the code for 1.01x the speed’; unless you’re benchmarking with a high precision tool, and even then, the user will in practicality not notice any difference, even on 10 year old systems and software rendered systems and 512 mb raspberry pi zeros. I’ve tried worm on themall!

Yeah, reminds me of when distrotube said he can’t tell the difference in speed between any WM.
PS: You should ask him to showcase Worm on his channel, I’m sure he’d love it.

1 Like

so from github stats i understand finally its more nim and 0 javascript. is that right ?

does the distrotube guy has any choice. after all he loves WMs

yes, why would there be any js?