Windows lets you now to access your Linux filesystem, but

… you will have to do it from inside WSL and then use File Explorer to browse it.

So if you dual-boot Windows and Linux using different disks you can, with this update, access your Linux files on the Linux disk from inside of Windows 10 (albeit inside WSL 2 inside Windows 10).

And because WSL 2 is able to expose Linux file systems to File Explorer (the file manager, previously called Windows Explorer) you can use browse a native Linux filesystem (mounted in WSL 2) as though it was a regular one

2 Likes

how many time before a malware windows will use wsl2 to go on ext4 disks ?

7 Likes

If you needed another reason not to dual boot…

6 Likes

Only ext4 or Btrfs too ??

In that article, they mention “native Linux filesystem” and “filesystems like EXT4”.

You could follow this blog post if you want to find out more or ask questions:

Starting with Windows Insiders preview build 20211, WSL 2 will be offering a new feature: wsl --mount . This new parameter allows a physical disk to be attached and mounted inside WSL 2, which enables you to access filesystems that aren’t natively supported by Windows (such as ext4).

So, if you’re dual booting with Windows & Linux using different disks, you can now access your Linux files from Windows!

That’s terrible. :mask:

3 Likes

wsl2 will need a mask :mask: to just access on filesystem linux

2 Likes

This was literally my first thought when I read the OP. I’ll pass, thanks MS, and your insistent trudging towards trying to ruin linux…

3 Likes

Windows is intent on wiping out Linux for good. Windows loves other software then they destroy it

4 Likes

Hijack -> Subvert -> Destroy…What a classic :unamused:

I suggest we officially disavow dual-boot in wiki as not secure option from now! :penguin:

5 Likes

Only if Windoze is involved and if Windoze has network/internet access. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t let Windows infect your Linux … :mask::face_vomiting:

5 Likes

Like letting a syphilitic hooker screw you bareback.

No thanks.

3 Likes

You know you can always dual-boot arch with arch. :rofl:

3 Likes

My recommendation for Windows users who want a Unixy experience is to format their windoze drives and install Linux.

10 Likes

How dare you?! :upside_down_face: :wink:

Shiissh, that’s heavy! :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s either the spreadsheet done the lame way or the “Unixy” experience. Your choice, buddy!

Ain’t that true…
I was myself same (except office obviously :rofl: )

Not really. now it’s very hard to find a game that doesn’t run on Steam (which requires zero work), and Wine + Lutris (which requires some work initially, but with guide it’s easy)

WHAT? :astonished:
Can you give some sources?
First time i hear about that…

2 Likes

I think this is about anticheat. :roll_eyes:

Oh yeah,…I always forget about online games which i don’t really care too much about personally :laughing:
Well that’s a bummer, but i’m sure there are countless ways around it

P.S. Btw that Denuvo Kernel-based anti-cheat is such a joke :rofl:
I’d rather die than play game with such idea of…Well…

1 Like