Windows lets you now to access your Linux filesystem, but

I wrote what I think is a rather nice rant about how I hate the current state of gaming on the old Manjaro forum. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to repost it here, though :smiley:

TL;DR: I hate the current state of PC gaming.

3 Likes
  • “so its just Window gaming with extra steps?”
  • No, it’s way better, once you set it up you can backup your whole game library and never install it again, also you don’t have to think about Windows update break my PC!

See, i’m a good Wine salesman :sunglasses:

I love it, but i hate current state of private property respect, meaning people use clouds…
I don’t. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Yes, you’re the forum’s official sommelier. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ghastly!
frog_scream_72

1 Like

I won’t judge, but that’s very weird indeed :laughing:

1 Like

I use C out of love and C++ when I need to get stuff done. I’m trying to teach myself Rust, but that’s going very slowly… :smiley:

I also use AWK a lot. And R. And sometimes I’m forced against my will to use FORTRAN, because I’m a physicist. That part sucks. I dabbled in Python, a bit.

I also know JavaScript, but let’s not speak of such unpleasant things.

Do markup/markdown languages count? I use LATEX almost every day, and HTML/CSS when I must.

2 Likes

If you have any programming experience, you can go through the entire Kernighan & Ritchie at a leisurely pace in about three to four afternoons. I can’t recommend that enough.

C is a really minimalist language: it is easy to learn, though quite difficult to use. On the other hand, C++ is the exact opposite, difficult to learn, but easy to use. I don’t like it, because it is so bloated, but I use it because I can get stuff done with it quickly.

The entire C language is practically a footnote in a book about C++.

C# is just an M$-Abomination®, made as an M$ response to Java’s popularity. I wouldn’t touch it wearing a hazmat suit.

2 Likes

Python is great, don’t get me wrong. It’s excellent when performance isn’t critical (i.e. in cases when you save more time in writing code than you save in running it). It’s also a great first programming language for beginners, but it remains useful even for seasoned programmers. So it’s a valuable skill to learn.

C is not very good for beginners, I agree. Especially manual memory management, which is quite error prone and can introduce bugs that are difficult to fix. Same thing about C++, even though they are trying hard to implement automatic garbage collection into it, programmers simply are not following the latest recommendations.

C# has awful garbage collection, though. If it had good garbage collection, it would remove itself. :rofl:

1 Like

For the science! :superhero:

He definitely know :frog: language :laughing:
Also he know Egyptian hieroglyphs too :rofl:

Wise choice :wink:

1 Like

Let’s wait :slight_smile:

Still it’s advisable to keep off, if there is a possibility and tool for M$ to access your Linux / files…

For example we all know that Intel management engine is backdoor with Minix inside, has it been addressed officially by M$ / Intel / Agencies ?

Of course not, you just see 100s of CVEs added each year :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, the future will tell. For now we can only speculate.

Yep, still while we’re waiting - common sense certainly tells not to offer your house to worldwide known thief…

Just don’t! :laughing:

2 Likes

Without any proof based on hard facts, I don’t think exercising “common sense” would get one any closer to the truth of the matter. That is if Windows will use WSL behind the users’ back to access their Linux partitions.

Long history of M$ collecting and selling your data will show direction of truth, until there is something which tells otherwise :upside_down_face:

But technically yes, i’m waiting for the news :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought the principle was “not guilty until proven otherwise”.

This makes more sense. Common or otherwise.

1 Like

Would you advise your child to sit in a room with known mass-murderer, who just got out of jail?
I wouldn’t, coz if / when he kills my child - it will be too late. :slight_smile:

Again, technically you’re right, and we all waiting…
But why not advise to keep away by default unless it is really needed for some reason?

I mean, Windows 10 is not nice in any way shape or form, but this is potentially real danger for Linux dual-boots, coz you can’t “sandbox” it anymore on same system, unless it’s in VM.

2 Likes

I look at it more as MS HAS been found guilty of those types of things in the past, and:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

6 Likes

That is kind of a drastic analogy. I would be cautious in this case. But I couldn’t judge the person beforehand for any possible future crime he or she might possibly commit.

Some users do need it for some personal reasons as the user here

It is not up to me to advice them against doing so because Windows

without us knowing if it “actually” is. That is without enabling WSL. Do we know for fact that it is an actual danger to Linux even with WSL enabled?

And let’s get things clear. I am in no way a fan of Windows or defending it here. But I need hard facts to make up my mind for or against something.

I mean, we’ll see it anyway, but…

Few more rhetorical questions:

1. Would you trust company with history of M$, on system which can get full admin access with WSL feature exploit, from basically 0 day?
    https://www.recon.cx/2018/brussels/resources/slides/RECON-BRX-2018-Linux-Vulnerabilities_Windows-Exploits--Escalating-Privileges-with-WSL.pdf
  1. Knowing fact 1, would you trust such system with perfectly working Linux and data inside it, knowing that WSL can access Linux partitions?

2. Even if it was fixed by now, wouldn’t it be wise to not rely on such huge privileges of Windows 10 WSL, which potentially will always be vulnerability, by the fact of having access to Linux data from extremely vulnerable Windows 10, which sells your data to alphabet agencies / ad companies / whatever else 3rd party?

I hear you :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

There are all reasons to be cautious. I am not arguing against that. But until there are some actual reported cases that there are one or another form of exploatation going on with or without WSL enabled in a dual boot system, the only thing we are left with, to base are judgement on, is a shady past.

By the way, I don’t think the “average user” will ever enable that feature at all. Let alone using it to access other Linux partitions on the system.