Windows 11 - Leaked

Although apparently fTPM (AMD) and Platform Trust Technology (Intel) can function instead of having a physical TPM. Several people I’ve read reviews of that they got their machines to show as compatible with Win11 just by enabling the Platform trust in the bios.

I haven’t tested if it shows compatible, but my Chuwi laptop has the Platform Trust on it, so enabled it last night and if I get around to it I might throw Win10 back on just to test if it shows compatible.

The module is an add on you have to purchase. So the board supports it but doesn’t have the module installed. What I’m saying is if Microsoft has made it so Windows 11 won’t install because you don’t have TPM they are stupid!

Edit: I’ll just run the test from Microsoft and it will tell me. But i can’t see it being that way.

This is afaik and I’m happy to be corrected: Platform Trust Technology is an TPM implementation in an enclave on the CPU itself instead of a separate chip.

So yes, you might have TPM/PTT support and it is just disabled in the BIOS. But you wont be able to retrofit support by an BIOS update. Physical hardware support is required.

Mine has support but as i said it doesn’t have the TPM module which is an add on you have to purchase.

IMG_20210625_115037

From what I read non-TPM system still work with Win11, but aren’t considered supported. We’ll see.

Overall it isn’t stupid from MSFT’s point of view. There are real-world, end-user security benefits. But it requires tighter integration and might lock out open alternatives, which negativly impacts us as Linux users.

I currently have it disabled in the UEFi setup.

Edit: This sytem only has Linux on it but my other Intel 5.0 Ghz system has Windows on it as well and i think it is the same. There is no TPM module.

Edit2: All my systems are custom built not from a manufacturer which most supply Windows so they include TPM.

This is what I did on my T30:

Whenever something has “trusted” in its name, chances are, you shouldn’t trust it.

Let us not talk of such nasty things on this nice forum :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What do you mean??? I trust Microsoft. They have my best interests at heart. They know what i need! :rofl:

1 Like

That’s what I’m wondering…From what I understand, the TPM module is required for Bitlocker for Windows 11.

That’s possible. My HP laptop 4700U came with Windows 10 on it and it had Bitlocker on it and i wiped Windows off and put EndeavourOS on it. I’m not very familiar with how bitlocker works but this laptop does have TPM on it. Of course it’s pointless on Linux as i have disabled secure boot anyway. I think it’s tied to that also.

Edit: I just don’t care about TPM. Maybe in the business environment it is needed or better for security.

I’m right there with you, I don’t understand either. TPM isn’t required for Bitlocker in 10.

NOt required, but makes Bitlocker a lot easier. The advantage of TPM is when encrypting the drive, you can use the TPM instead of a passphrase, so you can have it just boot instead of putting in a passphrase to boot. If it worked (easily) in Linux distro’s I’d probably use TPM. However, while it is POSSIBLE to use it, it’s not an easy “click, click, working” setup, so I don’t.

1 Like

Linux also supports Secure Boot and TPM 2.0. At least some of them.

Edit: Oh Oh… @keybreak I see it’s used to prevent online cheating in games! :laughing:

Mainly it’s used to make your life miserable and less secure in every way :wink:

2 Likes

Along with Windows that’s really terrible then. :rofl:

3 Likes

There are two basic reasons for the limited processor support on Windows 11. First, Windows 11 requires a system to be installed with Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (TPM). … On Windows 10, an enabled TPM wasn’t a necessity. This is changing with Windows 11, as it will require users to have the BIOS options enabled

Edit: Just another move on their part to force people into buying new hardware.

@sothis6881
Are you kidding me? Like i said before.

Screenshot (14)

Okay. Dug a little deeper. My processor is on the list as supporting TMP. It’s an Intel 50th anniversary processor I7-8086K. Intel calls it something else. Go figure! I had to dig a bit and finally found the right setting to enable it. Now it’s listed in device manager and it is TMP 2.0

Screenshot (16)

Screenshot (15)

Edit2:
Intel PTT is Platform Trust Technology
I have it enable now and the device manager shows TMP 2.0 so i will test again Windows 11 support.

Edit3:
Here we go! Now it works!

Screenshot (17)