What games are you playing?

Oblivion on PS3, hooked up through a RGB scart to BNC adapter on my JVC CRT.

I love the fact that Bethesda games on PS3 have 4:3 display modes as well… Most of the PS3 games only output at 16:9.

Whenever possible I play my games on a CRT. Even though modern TV’s have come a long way, they are still no match for the colors and contrast levels that a CRT is capable of producing.

Given that my JVC is a professional studio monitor with 750+ lines instead of the regular 480 lines ( or 576 for PAL) that consumer crt tv’s had, makes the image all the more clearer

20201115_124108

5 Likes

2020-11-15_18-13

2020-11-15_18-03

Swat 4 multiplayer is barely a shell of what it used to be, but still has some people kicking around and nowdays most of em just play more like Rambo, less like a Swat officer.

With the SEF mod, the game is a lot better IMO and runs decent on Wine. Minor stutters, audio issues and a few specific crashes – still fully playable tho. Well worth picking up on GOG or your favourite Ubuntu ISO distributor and slapping SEF on top. Highly recommend the singleplayer campaign.

Started playing Horizon Zero Dawn, some crashes on Proton 5.13-2 unfortunately. Just about to try the new GE build.

Edit:
No crashes and significantly better performance with the latest GE build \o/

It is super fun though.

2 Likes

Decided I’d have a look at RPCS3, a PS3 emulator…

Seems like PS3 emulation has come a long way!
Was expecting a laggy slideshow, but instead I had to manually lock the game to it’s native 30fps, because it was running like a videotape at fast forward at 2-300 fps, even with resolution scaled to 1440P.

Only tried Tales of Xillia for now (and yes, I own a physical copy :slight_smile: ) but I’m curious to see how other games run

The emulator is in the AUR btw, only other thing you need is a firmware update file from the sony site

Game compatibility list

Screenshot_20201128_223324

2 Likes

A useful page is: https://ps3packages.herokuapp.com/list , it provides updates for the PS3 games.
It’s currently offline :frowning: though I’m hoping that’s only temporary.

1 Like

Do you happen to know a good way to rip ps3 games?
One of my PS3’s has CFW, so I can do it through there, and then use FTP to transfer the ISO’s, but it’s really slow that way.

I have an external Blu-ray drive for my pc, but it doesn’t seem to read PS3 discs.

I also want to avoid going to :pirate_flag: sites to download them, since I have a rather large physical collection anyways

1. :pirate_flag: torrents
  2. https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Help%3ADumping_PlayStation_3_games

:partying_face:

1 just because it will be faster and less hassle, if your sources are good :upside_down_face:

There goes wanting to do it the honest way :joy:

Unfortunately I’m a pirate, I actually own the games that I’ve shown but downloading them is much easier.

1 Like

Seems like I’ll have to do some jack sparrowing myself

It’s just how things are. It’s a shame that a pirated game is often bjectively a better product than a legit copy. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Prey (2006).
screen

3 Likes

Is it good?
I kinda missed this one in it’s time…

Very good.

1 Like

I gave in to temptation :grimacing:

3 hours in now… No gamebreaking bugs yet… fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:
Running at high settings 1080P, but had to enable Dynamic FIdelityFX 90% to ensure stable framerates in busy scenes

Screenshot_20201211_205517

1 Like

The dark side is strong with this game, it is. :laughing:

What GPU are you firing at all pistons on this game?

1 Like

An MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT Mech OC…
It’s struggling though… On indoor scenes it manages 55-60 fps, but when I enter an outdoor area with a lot of acitivity, the frames sometimes drop to 45 without the use of FidelityFX

Maybe next year I’ll buy a RX 6700 XT whenever it comes out

2 Likes

Hmmm… Seems that on Linux a lot of the audio is missing… a lot of the ambience isn’t there (car radio, background music in clubs, npc bullets, some dialog)

I hate to admit it, but for the time being (till this is fixed at least), I plugged in an old Windows 10 ssd, in order to play it :scream:

1 Like

Most i play is megaglest 0ad and solitaire and ltris lol on steam motorsport managere here and there have other but hardly play it i take it when in commercial for some off but stil haha

:beetle: :upside_down_face:

cyberpunk

4 Likes