What does it mean by "terminal-centric" distro?

Quoting this again for you.

Don’t worry too much

just yay
:wink:

Thank you for the clarification!

And it’s not about worrying too much, I just want to try to understand how this operating system works. Linux has so many options that ends up being confusing for a new user like me.

I’m still testing on a virtual machine.

1 Like

Read up at the Arch Wiki, pretty much everything is detailed.

4 Likes

wow, that was a lot of chat for just 3 letters - yay :thinking:

3 Likes

Was thinking the exact same, or even float around a few forums, its how i learnt everything i know, also youtube

3 Likes

YAY !

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:
centric not focussed or terminal only

centric

As also mostly all EndeavourOS apps are based on terminal or commands you can use in terminal.

5 Likes

I want :clown_face:-centric distro!!11

honka_animated-128px-6

5 Likes

Windows??? lol

5 Likes

The point is made and I use the terminal as much as I have learned so far.
So where does this discussion go from here other than posting amusing memes or marking one as a SOLUTION?

2 Likes

Nowhere, was answered a while back

2 Likes

Wait guys, I’m not done yet.

I still have lots of questions about package managers.

From what I gather, in the Linux world it’s the package manager that makes a distro or breaks it.

Like I am still very confused about the difference between pacman and pamac, why EndeavourOS does not come with a GUI version for the package manager, etc etc.

This is me departuring from Debian-based to Arch-based distributions.

It doesn’t ship by default but you can install GUI package managers like pamac, bauh, octopi.
Community member @moson has also developed a tui tool called pacseek which is my personal favorite.

Its your system, you can install whatever you wish. :enos: is a starting point to get Arch up and running in an easy manner along with a small set of apps which makes life very easy to manage an Arch system.

3 Likes

Answer top of page !! it pinned when you login ( latest )

EDit Endeavouros give you help hand on basics ( working install ) you do rest ! how you want :+1:

your system ur rules :wink:

1 Like

Maybe it will be better to mark this as a SOLUTION and start a new topic on package managers, if you still have questions after reading the pinned post by the :enos: founder Does EndeavourOS allow GUI package installers?

3 Likes

no need for topic on why no gui package manger by default . all info needed in pinned post.

2 Likes

pacman is the package manage. Pamac is graphical application that comes from the Manjaro project which is unfortunately named. The challenge with pamac is that since it is intended for the Manjaro, it is often broken on Arch.

The reason we don’t ship a GUI package manager is described in that link in the 2nd post of this topic.

We do, however, provide Quickstart, a simple GUI to install some common applications to get you started.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I also just finished reading Does EndeavourOS allow GUI package installers? thread and I think I understand it better now.

One more question: even though the Quickstart application offers a simple GUI installer alternative, it doesn’t provide with a lot of software options. So how can I search new software that is not listed in the Quickstart application? Is there something like a “apt search” command for EndeavourOS?

yay -Ss <words>

For example:

yay -Ss partition manager

As a shortcut, you can just type:

yay partition manager

This will bring up all the packages that match and allow you to install them by pressing the number on the screen.

3 Likes

Thank you for crisp explanation. I also learned something new today, all because of you.

2 Likes

You may find this helpful.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

5 Likes