What does it mean by "terminal-centric" distro?

Thanks @dalto, that was useful!

So let me see if I got this right: by using the command “sudo pacman -S <>” I’ll be using the Arch repository, whereas if I use the command “sudo yay -S <>” that means I’ll be using both the Arch and the AUR repositories? Is that correct?

I also have one more question: I just found out that yay development has been discontinued, and people have been recommending paru instead. Can I use paru on EndeavourOS too? And are there any disadvantages to using a discontinued “wrapper” like yay?

It is mostly correct with the exception that you should never use sudo with yay or any other AUR wrapper.

This is completely not true.

Of course. The syntax for yay and paru is nearly identical for basic operations. You can use whichever you prefer.

If it was discontinued and abandoned, I wouldn’t recommend using it. However, this is not the case.

5 Likes

I think it was someone from Youtube channel “EF - Linux Made Simple” who said it. He said “yay is not anymore maintained”.

But thanks for the correction!

Virtually every youtube video I have ever seen on Linux has incorrect information in it. I would never consider it a reliable source of technical information about Linux.

3 Likes

Being a rolling release makes it even more likely to be outdated.

1 Like

Share Your Linux Memes - #156 by Kresimir

1 Like

Believe nothing you hear on the internet. Research things for yourself: looks like the most recent update was 10 days ago.

3 Likes

Plus a lot of false information spread like butter :sweat_smile:

Like yay is not maintained anymore… it is not getting much new features but is maintained well and easier to use as paru or others.
That’s the reason we have it there per default.

But indeed you can use what ever you want.

4 Likes

I mean, everything works, there’s not really a need for major development if it’s feature complete?

2 Likes

exactly… it is more stable also if it does not get any new exotic feature added to the code :wink:

But but, I like exotic features, like swirling the desktop with one key press or…umm…yeah.

I take it you were around during the height of the compiz era?

Pudge

Yep and before even :wink:
I was being somewhat sarcastic…at this point, I wouldn’t know what feature to suggest to KDE that I need (or want). Most DEs do everything you need and don’t need much anymore. Sometimes you might wish they were ‘different’, but they’re all pretty much functional and I could exist in Sway as easily as in KDE, or GNOME. It’s just what you prefer now (IMO) for the most part (and for general computing use).

Proper multi-monitor support? :frowning:

Lol, I have one monitor, so multi-monitor support isn’t of any importance to me. At risk of being a US citizen, it’s a very first world problem lol. Even back when I worked, I really didn’t need multiple monitors to do my job(s). Yeah I know…different strokes for different folks.

Never had an issue with that, my dual monitor setup works flawlessly on Plasma (though I seem to be an exception, I have to see it to believe it).