Vote! (the only Poll with impact)

You can make ten polls, they will all show the same thing: about 40% KDE, 25% Xfce, 15% ɢɴᴏᴍᴇ and about 10% Cinnamon.

1 Like

0.00000001% DWM

honka_animated-128px-34

1 Like

Very few use dwm alone, it’s just doesn’t suck enough :rofl:

1 Like

i can also make-up one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fake it till you make it! :rofl:

Let’s do TTY

2 Likes

Most polls on DEs have this general pattern:

There is lies, damned lies, and statistics.

honka_animated-128px-48

with an upvote of 249% TTY wins the Poll! Trailing behind was 5% for KDE and a sad 0.2% for GNOME

2 Likes

Sounds like free & fair elections!

honka_animated-128px-40

ALL HAIL TTY!!!

2 Likes

Not enough chainsaws!

1 Like

TTY!

Clap. . . Clap.

All hail hypnotoad!

2 Likes

4 Likes

I am more of a box kind of guy, openbox
box

3 Likes

Does the “new” Unity count as D.E.? Because I read somewhere it’s even being packaged with Manjaro. :open_mouth:

Yes, it should. It is interesting that it is starting to get traction - it was moribund for years then Ubuntu Unity restarted development.

I would certainly consider using it. Canonical, in my opinion, made a huge mistake in dropping it. (On UU it certainly doesn’t feel that it didn’t change between about 2016 and 2022).

We need new poll!

The thing about Plasma, in my opinion, is that it’s solidly keeping up with what the users wants and need. And it is what you want it to be. Simple, out of the way, keyboard·oriented or mouse-oriented, you name it.

Whether it’s support for integration or workflow solutions, it’s very far-reaching.

I liked Plasma before, but the updates we’ve seen the fall 2022 and recently with 5.27 shows how serious KDE are and how competent they at making stuff happen.

The official tiling-support, which also is opened up for third-party expansion and integration is one of my favorite recent developments. So expect kwin scripts to expand this in a way that feels polished instead of hacked together.

The improvements that are in the works is also reason to be optimistic. While 5.27 is both lightweight, stable and solid - Plasma 6 will fix some outstanding issues and limitations. We also have HDR coming our way. Wayland was already good on multi-monitor last summer, but is also getting constant improvements. Using X11 would overall be a worse experience in many ways, so those who still doubt Wayland should just try it already.

The progress makes sense with the recent improvements convincing more users and companies like Valve implementing it.

To me, Plasma is a no-brainer. They are fully FOSS and play well with other software. Gnome on the other hand sort of insist on doing things their way and sort of disregarding broad support and integration. I don’t like the philosophy a lot of the time. It’s too “willy nilly MacOS-esque”.

It think part of why some are reluctant to try Plasma is past impressions and the nature of how customisable it is. It can be anything you want, but you have to define what that is. But even out of the box it’s pretty neat.

I never got tiling-only environments, it’s a prison. But you could have the same in Plasma. Even without borders or titlebars. I’m sure there’ll be kwin scripts making it work just like i3.

So if you ask me, Plasma sort of pleases (almost) everyone. Or at least, it’s good at everything. As opposed to being really good at a few things and bad at other things. Other DEs lock you into a philosophy and are more focused towards certain aspects. With Plasma they cover just about all aspects and you just make it your own. Have it your way.

I thought Plasma was the default DE in EndeavourOS. Must have forgotten fetching a flavored ISO.

5 Likes

Openbox

1 Like

there you have it a new … Poll 2023…

Welcome at the forum! :enos:

And no default for offline install and the LiveSession is XFCE4 on the ISO… also we do not have a real default Desktop… there is XFCE4 themed and setup because we are using it on the ISO plus i3 what is not really usable without a setup.