Which DE are you using?

I’m reviving an old Antergos post over here. (This is just for fun, we’re not going to throw out DEs from our installer, after this poll.)

So, which DE are you using and why (multiple options are possible)

• Xfce
  • LXQT
  • Mate
  • Cinnamon
  • Gnome
  • Plasma
  • Budgie
  • Deepin
  • i3-WM
  • Other

0 voters

9 Likes

Wow, Plasma in the lead, that’s a surprise, considering Xfce is our default DE. Keep on voting! :smile:

18 Likes

What’s more surprising to me is that i3 ties for the second place with Gnome. It almost feels like a DE with the new Endeavour theming :smiley:

7 Likes

Multiple options are possible, but what should I do if I have 6 PCs/Laptops and 3 testing PCs all with Gnome? I can not give 9 votes for Gnome.
:wink:

7 Likes

@Bryanpwo
I think it is not really a surprise that KDE (Plasma) is in the lead. It offers a great standard configuration out of the box. In addition to that it has a great history which started with KDE 3 (I think) . It’s already proven to be stable and reliable. It’s got some nice add ons like KDE connect. I could add a lot more. But I think for the beginning that’s enough.

8 Likes

I was just teasing and also to keep this thread alife. :wink:

4 Likes

This is bad luck, or “first world problem”. :smiley: :wink:

6 Likes

@Bryanpwo
:wink: :beers:

1 Like

No, a family with 5 members. :grin:

4 Likes

Yes, sorry, I close too often from me to others, especially since I personally can’t imagine anything more beautiful than a single household :slight_smile:

When does real life begin?
When the children are out of the house :wink:

If you use “We” instead “I” it was more clear, but my English is bad.

3 Likes

I actually understood everything you just said…and…why you became confused :joy:

1 Like

Man muss auch mal Glück haben im Leben. :slight_smile:

Could be wrong translation
You have to be lucky sometimes in life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Poor Budgie…

5 Likes

I tried switching to Budgie but I really like everything about Gnome. Well, at least after I enable the minimize button…

3 Likes

At the moment I have KDE and XFCE installed

Plasman is still my favorite but I’ve grown to like XFCE and find myself using them almost 50-50

I’ll be waiting for Deepin 20 to see if their new settings module has more options, apparently it does

Gnone would be good if someone can tell me how to remove the dead edges on a laptop touchpad. For all non wayland DE’s I just install the old synaptics xf86 xorg driver instead of using libinput

2 Likes

Not excited about deepin 20 anymore. I just tested the official beta release and wasn’t impressed

I’ll have to try Cinnamon or Gnome again on that partition

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what made me switch back to KDE on my laptop.

I’m not impressed.

1 Like

Xfce because the first Linux distro I installed was Xubuntu on an old Macbook pro, and it just stuck, I suppose. Later, I used Kubuntu on a desktop and Lubuntu on a very old netbook, neither of which I liked as much. Sometimes we just get stuck on what we’ve used first perhaps? With EndeavourOS, I just haven’t had any reason to deviate from what I know. And I could export my settings and such from Xubuntu to make the initial transition easier.

2 Likes

Very much so. The first Linux I installed was Mandrake back in the early 2000’s. It was a Red Hat 7.3 copycat. Back then the internet was AOL and phone line 56Kb so I bought Mandrake in a commercial box at either Wal Mart or Sams Club. Came on one single layer CD.
Being a Red Hat knock off, it used Gnome. Not Gnome 2 or Gnome 3, but Just Gnome.

I have never used anything but Gnome since, except for some 2 or 3 day trials of other DE’s here and there. At one point I really tried to like KDE, but it never stuck.

There are alot of similar stories about not liking any DE except the one that a person tried first.

Pudge

5 Likes

Riddle me this:

I run 3 of the top 4 (never GNOME), on only TWO computers. . . with no dualboot, and no VMs. . . .

I love all the options Linux has. Plasma and i3 are just incredible. Linux is truly amazing. I’m not at all surprised though that Plasma is the top dog. That IS what I would run if I were me and only had one choice. . . It’s just so good these days.