Which DE are you using?

Plasma - must be an acquired taste. Anytime I’ve tried KDE anything I just find myself lost. First I think it was all the weird (to me) names of applications - and the way it wanted to run from the bottom panel, and the odd things that were part of other things…

I don’t know about sticking to 1 thing though. I started Linux with Motif (when I bothered with graphics), then Gnome 2 with Ubuntu, then Unity (the best) and then I tried Gnome 3. IT showed that XFCE was the way to go! (actually, I could probably use Cinnamon too). But, I’m not stuck on Motif - or even Gnome 2 (which would be MATE these days).

I think we just pick up certain ways of working - and anything that fights you (whether it is ‘better’ or not) bothers you out of all proportion - and anything ‘missing’ feels critical!

Freebird54 (where’s my F5 macro key for sigs?)

7 Likes

My primary desktop up until the last week or so has been Plasma, however I installed Deepin for the endeavouros pick. I had played with UbuntuDDE which is ubuntu 20.04 with deepin and REALLY was impressed with the desktop. Very Polished. Very aesthetically pleasing. The problem was the system was very flaky. The dock was not launching. The cursor (running in virtualbox) would randomly vanish…it was still there but the arrow would be gone so you could not see where it was pointing. All in all unusable. I had planned to play with endeavouros and the timing was right so I decided to try the deepin DE and it’s been rock solid. It takes some getting used to but I still use many of my fav KDE and QT apps (clementine, k3b, krusader) and the occasional gtk one (Pamac-aur-git, hexchat). The only frustration I’m having is trying to compile a kernel (linux-xanmod) because Pamac won’t let you edit PKGBUILD’s so I can tell it to compile for native architecture and using yay on the command line (yay -S --editmenu linux-xanmod) the prompt for superuser password times out because I’m not babysitting the thing when my older laptop takes hours to compile. Annoying.

I agree with everything you said…so why are all the distro’s DROPPING kde support? I was happily on opensuse with kde for a long time but found software such as gscan2pdf would be missing just about every other release or just flat out not work. This wasn’t unexpected since on most occasions it was a user who was compiling the app NOT opensuse. So I switched to Linux Mint KDE for a few releases but you have to do a total re-install or work around the system unofficially to do an upgrade then when Linux Mint 19 came out they decided no KDE version at all and they didn’t offer the option to update the non kde apps so I switched to KDE Neon which is still whats on my main desktop…my laptops are now all running manjaro with the expection of my oldest one which is running endeavouros with deepin. I started out with some of the early redhat releases but opensuse was where I first fully switched over to linux only. Id’ probably still be on their tumbleweed (rolling) distro if they could have gotten their software act together. AUR gives you access to just about everything…if all else fails you can compile the app from git. That’s hard to beat.

Plasma, for sure. Lightweight though with tons of build-in options, stable, snappy. I also prefer qt & qt-based apps. What worries me is its future after the QT Company`s decission to not opensourse new features before they let them…age for a whole, straight, mere year. :rage:

5 Likes

Is it already definite?

1 Like

All I know is that there are discussions still going on between the two parties, @Tasia.

1 Like

I have to renew my vote.
After installing one testing laptop with all DEs and login managers my daughters choice is:

deepin on sddm

:see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Xfce for me on my laptop it’s simple it works. I’ve switched just about everything around on it. I do use Kde all my other laptop which is running pop OS not too thrilled about it I’m a go back to the default gnome on it.

3 Likes

Don’t feel too disappointed at that. I cannot get any of my family interested in anything outside of Winzzzz and console gaming… and that includes my significant other (LOL). It is what it is, I guess. I’ll let you all know if ever one of mine get into the geeky stuff I’m into.

1 Like

Xfce was my first DE as well, and I’m still running it on an old x86 32bit storage PC (Lubuntu OS).

I’ve been using Cinnamon since around 2012 when I was using Linux Mint at the time. Before then I was using KDE with most of my distros - Mandrake and Corel Linux in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. When Ubuntu came around in 2004 I used Gnome and KDE (Kubuntu) for some time. Bounced around distributions and DE’s like it was popcorn in the 2010’s. When I used Cinnamon for the first time it was what I was looking for. Since then I’ve stuck with it on Arch, Manjaro and EOS since it worked with my workflow. I tried out Plasma, XFCE, Gnome and others to see what features they have, but always feel at home with Cinnamon.

6 Likes

I am not disappointed.
My family all uses EOS as their daily driver. And because I am the administrator of all PCs/laptops I do not change DEs nor login managers. :smiling_imp:
And so I did not change my vote for Gnome. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Xfce was my first DE, and honestly after hopping around a bit for years, in the end it’s just what works for me. :smiley:

4 Likes

Of course, I use XFCE the most, although lately I also prefer LXQt and even KDE.

4 Likes

I choose “Other,” but there was no way to specify what the other was in the poll. I use Enlightenment (installed as a DE, not just a window manager) with EndeavourOS, and also with my old Antergos install (still working!) and my Void install. I’m surprised all the GUI minimalists here don’t use it - it is super light weight for a DE, both in disc space and memory usage, and easy enough to install and configure - obviously it isn’t one of the Endeavour installer choices but it was relatively easy. I also keep Mate around for each system, just in case Enlightenment every gives me problems, I can fallback to Mate. It’s stable, has relatively low resource usage compared to the Cinnamon/Gnome/KDE generation of DE’s, and it just seems to me to be a little better put together and require less tweaking than other lightweight DE’s like XFCE/LxQt. I liked Deepin for a while but lost interest, and am going to try Budgie next. Looks like Budgie needs some attention!

7 Likes

I could almost have written this exact same post about Enlightenment. Used it on Void, Manjaro, and Endeavour. I love Enlightenment, and a big reason I even joined this forum was to poke around and see if an E option might be possible for an ISO in the near future.

Seems to be the one area that is lacking is anyone building an ISO with it.

6 Likes

XFCE on every machine.
Os-Catalina-Gtk-night theme and Korla icons. Plank at the bottom and who needs an iMac? :slight_smile:

Liked KDE when my gfx workstation had two monitors because the Wacom tablet was easy to configure. Thanks to ultrawide displays, that’s no longer an issue.

3 Likes

Welcome to EndeavourOS!

In fact you might help us make it! I guess you are an experienced Enlightenment user, so any help with useful settings and packages/extensions would be very much appreciated.

Though I’m not promising we’ll implement it soon… but let’s keep the discussion up. You could start another thread for it it you like.

7 Likes

Thank you @manuel

I’m guessing the DE subsection to be the place to start an Enlightenment thread of that nature?

I’m fairly experienced, but not an expert. But E is one of the few DEs / WMs that easily come in under 300 MB of RAM with a lot of polish and config options. And just a great way to get things done. I’d just love to spread the love. :wink:

To not stray too off topic, I’m also a huge fan of Mate. Very underrated IMO. Light and clean.

4 Likes

The last time I used enlightenment was with an arch linux install done via the Archfi script. It is one of the DE’s offered in the second Archdi script. I remember it working quite well TBH.

4 Likes