This one amazing piece of photo!

I could simply not imagine if anyone who has ever set eyes upon this photo has been left untouched by it.

933px-Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper

This just came through my feeds. I thought to share it here:

18 Likes

It looks like its lunch time. :smiley:

3 Likes

This brings back memories, back in the early nineties these pictures were “the thing to have”. This particular picture was my very first professionally framed poster I bought for my first studio appartment and it almost covered the space on the wall behind my couch.
It was a lot of money for me back then but I felt so “grown up” when I first hung it up, replacing two IKEA framed posters.
After all those years, I still am captured by the image.

14 Likes

Given my AMAZING ability to maintain my balance, I would be the stain on the ground several hundred feet below…

6 Likes

Those Sky Scrapers didn’t build themselves, and back then almost all of them came at the cost of lives. Didn’t have OSHA back then.
Here is more on early 1900’s skyscraper construction

Pudge

6 Likes

Wow, what a great story! I

It almost reminds me of the first book I bought for myself when I still was in primary school. I had to save some of my pocket money for quite some time to buy that book. I felt so immensely satisfied and proud that afternoon on the way back home from school, after having stopped by the bookshop, with that book in my bag.

Perhaps it was around the same time that I was shown this picture by my brother who studied photography back then. It made a deep impression on me which lasts to this day.

3 Likes

By the way, the complete documentary about this photo and the circumstance surrounding its becoming can be seen on YT. I haven’t seen it yet but I am going to a bit later this evening.

4 Likes

Different century, different dangerous job. Even sitting in a nice comfortable chair at ground level while watching this on a computer, I had to stop the video because I was starting to get a slight case of veritgo.

Pudge

6 Likes

Yea true also in Germany…

4 Likes

My palms are getting VERY sweaty just watching that.

:laughing:

1 Like

Is this real?
The light around those guys looks a bit weird…

Absolutely real. The light around them is from lightening those areas of the photo to more clearly show the men’s facial & body details. Looks like it was done with a pretty big brush though :joy:

Does anyone happen to have this picture in 1920x1080? :grinning: Link in the OP isn’t working.

How about 8192 x 6322?

You can scale it to whatever dimensions you like; you’ll have to crop to get it to 1920 x 1080, though.

Or here’s an image that has already been cropped and sized.

7 Likes

Think one of those people on that beam maybe @c00ter. :shushing_face:

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure @c00ter is not on that photo. nobody on that photo has an epic Unix beard.

7 Likes

3rd guy from the left:
“I use Arch, btw”

2 Likes

Thank you!

Anyone see whats in the gentleman’s hand on the far right? :cocktail: :rofl:

4 Likes

WOW, at this time, the last post I found the curiosity I was already thinking… and I was wondering the same thing, BUT I didn’t see it until you said something, but for the year this photo was taken, you know that was going on. LOL

Without reading any links, I’m pretty sure that’s just after or before prohibition era
Puts a new perspective on holding yer own …as the saying goes and throw in being that high up :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Actually - the photograph was taken on September 20, 1932.

Prohibition didn’t end until Dec 5, 1933.

Make of that what you will. It might have been a non-alcoholic drink of some sort (although that style of bottle certainly does suggest booze), or maybe it was some bootleg gin. :grin:

5 Likes