The big release is coming

wallpaper_eos_11

The time is nearing… On Saturday 19 September at 19:00 CET, we are going to release a big ISO release and of course EndeavourOS ARM.

We are so excited!!!

28 Likes

We are waiting!!!

4 Likes

Excited for the ARM version!!!

3 Likes

Great news was waiting for the announcement. What’s this going to mean for those of us already running EOS, a sizable update?

1 Like

My pi is ready.

1 Like

If you are up to date on updates, some new things have been added. It shouldn’t be too large an update. It is an ISO installer release and EndeavourOS is a rolling distribution. I guess we will have to wait and see. :yum:

3 Likes

I don’t really care about size. it’s just under Manjaro more than once if you wanted certain features you need to clean install the latest ISO. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a rolling release.

This is for EndeavourOS ARM. I don’t think anything will change on EndeavourOS x86_64.

A new update will not install new packages for existing users, unless those new packages are new dependencies for packages already installed. This is how it should be (and it has always been).

This does not mean you ever had to do a clean install of Manjaro (or Arch) to get stuff from the newest ISO, you just needed to manually install the packages you wanted.

2 Likes

I did just update kernel to 5.8.10 & a new EndeavourOS “splash” screen?

3 Likes

Running systems are already up-to-date, however this update has a little surprise for running systems also. The major changes are in the live environment and big bugfixes in the installation process.

5 Likes

Very cool! :partying_face:

I only worry about Nvidia :money_mouth_face: ARM, hopefully for us it will be at least like last party before end of the World! :rofl:

2 Likes

The exact time I start work tonight. Bad, bad planning! :persevere:

On all other behalves… Woho! :dizzy: :boom: :clinking_glasses: :rainbow: :fireworks: :tada:

I got my PBP ready …

1 Like

Nope, definitely not what i mean if you read it carefully (what i mean is that Nvidia could easily destroy ARM or make it worse :expressionless:) + a lot of wishful thinking :laughing:

1 Like

My Pi awaits… :smiley:

I asked for the post to be edited. I did not get a reply. I was going to edit out the offending bit since the rest of the post was sound. It was flagged before I could get to it. :upside_down_face:

I would also like to ask that people take it easy with the poop emoji please :+1:

4 Likes

According to the first post this is for both ARM and the desktop OS.

“we are going to release a big ISO release and of course EndeavourOS ARM.”

Second if there are new features added Manjaro should of been pushing those via updates for it, as should any rolling release. That said I am looking forward to the release.

COOL thanks, good to know.

1 Like

That’s simply not how Arch Linux package management works. Repo maintainers cannot decide for the user which packages to install, this is 100% user’s choice. An update cannot install new packages for you, if these packages are not dependencies of already installed packages (thankfully, as that would be really annoying).

The most they can do is say in an announcement somewhere: “here is a list of new packages added to the default installation on our latest ISO, if you want them, install them.”

2 Likes

Let me rephrase. When we go to do updates after a major release we should see any additions to the new ISO along with any other updates to the system, and be able to chose if we want any of them, or do as you suggested.

The most they can do is say in an announcement somewhere: “here is a list of new packages added to the default installation on our latest ISO, if you want them, install them.

There is no major release on a rolling release distro. It’s something Manjaro devs came up with artificially, but such a thing does not exist. There are only ISO releases.

But the OS itself does not have a version number.

BTW, you can easily look up what packages a new ISO contains for any distro.

1 Like