Switch from Plasma to Gnome

That’s what “fractional” in “fractional scaling” means :rofl:

GNOME removing options? I’m shocked!

:rofl: just found there is an option that can be enabled, would have to try, more about this in the arch wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI

Wayland

Enable the experimental fractional scaling feature:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features “[‘scale-monitor-framebuffer’]”

then open Settings > Devices > Displays (the new options may only appear after a restart).

edit: per screen scaling works very well in wayland, will be interesting to try scaling 150%

gnome keeps it KISS :kissing_heart: :innocent:

Just out of curiosity, are there any compelling arguments when it comes to the use of Wayland as such and not lack of compatibility with some apps which might be detrimental to someone’s personal workflow, for not using it?

I use GNOME as my preferred DE. It defaults to Wayland and I am not finding my self being restricted in any way in my workflow. The fact that it is a more secure protocol is a bonus.

I could start a session on Xorg. But why would I do that? Or why should I?

The software incompatibility is the biggest problem. Wayland is simply too restrictive. This is justified with “security”, but it’s actually a big inconvenience for everyday usage. The difficulties of recording screen, catching input outside the application window, clipboard management, etc… just make it pain to write and use software that benefits from this. Also, the loopholes one has to jump through to achieve these simple tasks create additional problems.

Wayland takes away control from the user over how he is using his own computer.

I didn’t make a detailed list. I wasn’t doing a professional comparison.

My memory was the things that were advantages in Wayland were things that didn’t matter much to me.

On the other hand, I do remember the disadvantages, probably because they did matter to me.

• There were some issues with plasma specifically. I think at least one of these has been fixed(Failure to unlock the keyring)
  • Some applications are not fully compatible with wayland(even using xwayland) for various reasons
    • In some cases they do things which violates waylands security model
    • In some cases there are just bugs in the applications that are only apparent in wayland
    • In some cases there are bugs in wayland

While it was a relatively small number of applications which displayed these issues, they were applications which mattered to me for my usage.

1 Like

That’s my point. Saying “there are some things that are better and some things that are worse” makes it seem that it’s somehow 50-50. No, it most definitely isn’t. People tend to remember things that are relevant to them. And most people I’ve interacted with remember issues with Wayland, not that many benefits.

As said before, for my personal use case, I don’t find myself being restricted in my everyday usage.

If it is true that is a more secure protocol, why should i personally not be using it?

I have zero issues with wayland, as long as I don’t use the proprietary Nvidia card. Although perhaps that has been fixed by now. Same with zoom, screen sharing was a problem, but it is also proprietary. So any open source software I use with wayland I did not have any issues, tearing, or crash. Everything works :man_shrugging: for me.

that being said, some apps work on Xwayland, and confuses me what’s the difference. It’s like running x11 window in wayland I think.

1 Like

I don’t know, I have talked to plenty of people that feel the opposite, the benefits outweigh the problems. Or even that there are no problems at all for them.

I think it just depends on use case. In my case, it was a problem. But if someone else doesn’t use those applications or those features of the applications, not a problem for them.

That is probably why opinions seem to vary so greatly.

That’s an awful argument, which I’ve already addressed. Let me rephrase it like this:

If it is true that turning off your computer is safer than turning it on, why would you personally ever turn it on? I don’t find it restrictive that my computer is off, it sits nicely under my desk, the monitors are pretty. It’s all fine.

What benefits? I’ve been asking this for ages.

The best I got, at least in this thread, was “fractional scaling works better on Wayland with multiple monitors” and it turned out not to be fractional at all, and GNOME removed the option for it. :rofl:

There seems to be nobody who can make an effective sales pitch for Wayland in a short forum post.

Btrfs is not new? It’s been around almost as long as Arch.

But I want to have my computer turned on.

And if everything I do with it is just working fine, I ask again why shouldn’t i prefer a more secure protocol over something less so?

If it is true that Wayland is a more secure protocol than Xorg?

So far I haven’t seen any compelling argument beside lack of compatibility with some pieces of software that might be relevant to some users but not to all.

Out of curiosity, in what ways does that security help with your personal risk model. Said differently, in what way was your security compromised by using X11?

1 Like

wayland works better on multiple monitors… especially scaling with separate settings. Try cinnamon on xorg, good luck with the tearing.

Wayland sucks! :rofl:

1 Like

Does cinnamon support wayland?

I don’t think so. Two years ago it was the only DE that could handle per screen scaling. It was so lala. There was some tearing though. That was on xorg/X11

I think this whole discussion warrants a real world testing. Perhaps it’s already available on the internet who know. But I am very curious. some weekend project. I don’t know if KDE has implemented per screen scaling yet or if it can do it on xorg, I don’t think so btw. (not talking only about fonts, but all apps consistently including gtk/kde)

You prefer to have your computer on, because having it off is too restrictive. So you are happy with all the security implications of having your computer turned on.

Same thing for Wayland with me, even though it might be more secure (though I haven’t yet heard anyone make an argument how that would matter), the restrictions that come with this added security are not worth it, in my use case.

As opposed to Cinnamon on Wayland? :rofl: