Switch from Plasma to Gnome

Thanks @zoli62 for your feedback.
Yes Cinnamon is a good desktop. I used it as well.
Though I am on KDE Plasma, but I haven’t experienced these bugs.
Can it be something related to how you installed or what you installed? I do not think having more than just one desktop on the same machine is a good thing to have. Even for a different user. Just my opinion.
Thankfully it seems I am lucky finally.

That’s not a problem with KDE.

Please don’t call another member’s view “absolute nonsense”. We all have a right to our opinion.

I leave the x11/Wayland debate for the future when we have some data.

1 Like

What kind of argument is that?

The Linux kernel was conceived in 1990.
The C programming language was conceived 1973.
The von Neumann architecture was conceived in 1945.

Why does the year matter?

Just for the sake of completeness, Wayland was conceived in 2013.

Not all views are valid or correct. I’m not attacking a person, but an argument (actually, lack thereof).

A terrifying one…

3 Likes

Well spotted!

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

I mean, sure, there are people who are fully comfortable with windoze and use it on a daily basis. There are all sorts of strange people out there. That’s not an argument in favour of windoze.

My user experience is good enough of an argument for me. Personally.

2 Likes

Yeah, but you don’t need convincing, you’ve already made up your mind (whether that thought process had any substance to it or not, I have seen no evidence either way).

I on the other hand, have open-mindedly asked people to persuade me to use Wayland, or at least give me some valid reasons in favour of it. So far, I’ve got nothing back but twaddle and poppycock (“it’s the future!”), and this experiment has been going on for years and years.

I think this is the way it should be.

For a few moments, I have a feeling I am on “the other” forum you all know, not on EndeavourOS forum where people are really decent and helpful.

The forums here are really interesting, really interesting members, moderators, developers…

I really enjoy being here.

Thank you @HMS_Endeavour and thanks to all of you for really interesting discussions that teaches me a lot.

Use GNOME “open-mindedly” for some time and check it for your self!
:wink:

1 Like

Well, I did, when 'Buntu switched from Unity to GNOME in 2017, I had no say in the matter. Until I installed Kubuntu a few months later, that is :rofl:

Again, that’s really no argument in favour of anything. At best it’s just: Check it out, it’s cool! – Why? – Trust me, it’s cool! Nice for you, even though it appears you have a really hard time telling me what’s so cool about it. Sure, if switching DEs and getting used to a different workflow had absolutely no time and effort costs assigned with them, I might listen to you and give it a try, but since that is not the case, I’m going to need a bit more meat on the bone, so to speak.

**Wayland can handle fractional scaling on multiple monitors with high DPI and different resolution, and no tearing with it

Something I posted 2 years ago, and seems to be working rather well now on Wayland

For me it is the most important practical aspect why I use Wayland and why it beats xorg

3 Likes

That’s a somewhat decent argument. I haven’t had any experience with that, because I’ve yet had no need for fractional scaling.

But thinking about it, can you apply fractional scaling per window? E.g. have one window at 150% of its normal size? That would solve one of my problems, and actually make me consider using Wayland:

However, my multi-monitor experience with Wayland on Plasma has been a bit different. I have two identical monitors, 1440p. No need for any scaling, just tweak the font size. However, since my two monitors are configured to have a 50 pixel gap between them (because they are approximately 1 cm apart, due to screen edge), I couldn’t move my mouse from one screen into the other. :rofl:

This is a good point.
Though I never tried, but who knows.
Thank you @Zircon34

My experience with Wayland is that there are some things that are better on Wayland and some things that are better with X11.

I don’t imagine that changing anytime soon.

Wayland may be the future though. Not because it is “better”, but because software will likely stop supporting X11 at some point.

2 Likes

Could you be slightly more specific?

On what do you base the likelihood of that happening?

My current experience is that it just scales it automatically, so that when I drag content from my laptop to the external monitor it will appear about the same size than on my laptop screen. It seems to work for both qt and gtk apps. Previously I had to fix things for these separately.

Here for example I am on a laptop with resolution 1920x1200

connected to a monitor with 3440x1440

Now I rescale the external monitor to 200% while laptop stays the same 100 %

I am not sure how to do the 150%. The option was there in the past but I can’t find it on this new version of gnome.