Switch from Plasma to Gnome

This is the point!
I’ll do a fresh install as soon as Gnome 43 lands in the repos

1 Like

As a matter of principle, usally new technologies are the future. Usually as well they have problems at the beginning.

I read somewhere some x11 apps don’t work well under wayland! It is just a matter of time to have wayland as the default.

This is why I reinstalled with BTRFS, despite what is said about it, but for me it is working flawlessly in my use case.

1 Like

So each user should decide for himself what is most user-friendly for him.

I think since Gnome is completely built on Wayland most applications are also compatible with Wayland.

There are certainly some hardship cases but you have to live with it. Most of what I need for myself and my daily work is running.

In the end everything will be ok :wink:

1 Like

Why?

Why not :crazy_face:
Seriously, i decided for me to go with wayland in future. And Gnome has best support for. Thats it

2 Likes

Maybe they were about wayland KDE

I second the question. Why wayland. Other than it is the future. What does it offer more?

I tried Gnome by the way. It was really attractive to me. But it froze quite often. Maybe because I tried it live session ventoy, Manjaro, or because I need more RAM (4GB only now).

For one thing, using Wayland is to be preferred according to ArchWiki’s own security advisory:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/security#Use_Wayland

1 Like

As I have already described i decided it for me.
It offer more security for sure.

Surely there are still some bugs or things that do not run perfectly. In the end, everyone must decide for themselves whether Xorg or wayland

1 Like

Not just ArchLinux also PrivacyGuides

1 Like

Sure. I was just curious to know more about wayland.!
As I said, out of curiosity I tried Gnome (prev. post) and I liked it really.

1 Like

Me too. So I will use wayland and make experiences with it. Apart from security

When I got under the hood on the x11 handbook, I was shocked at its lack of basic security protocols that we take for granted in modern computing environments. Just search “x11 security flaws” That’s how the Wayland project got started.

1 Like

I’m going to have to press X to doubt.

I’ve not heard or read a single good argument why Wayland is better than Xorg. I’ve heard plenty of times stupids arguments like: “it’s the future.” But really nothing to say what makes it better right now. People just repeat that like parrots. Sure, one day, maybe, we’ll all use Wayland on our GNU Hurd computers and it will be fine. Can’t wait! But in the meantime, in the current year, what makes Wayland better right now for me? I hear only cricket noises.

I swear, 99% of all Wayland users haven’t got the foggiest idea why they are using it. It’s just a fashionable thing to do. I guess some Tuber told them to do so.

Some people say: “Wayland is more secure.” But what is not secure about Xorg? All I hear is buzzwords like: “lack of basic security protocols that we take for granted in modern computing environments”, parroted around without any actual argument. And it sounds like a bunch of bloat to me, to be honest.

Seriously, what are the actual practical implications of all that “lack of security?” Sure if you run a bunch of proprietary spyware on your machine, Wayland makes it more difficult to for them get info from other windows. But that’s not a good argument, Wayland makes everything more difficult, so it’s not unexpected that it makes making spyware more difficult, too. Stuff not working is not a security argument! If it were, you should be turning off your computer, because that’s the most secure way, by far!

I do have plenty of reasons not to run Wayland. I’ll just mention two:

3 Likes

11 times!

honka_animated-128px-4

2 Likes

I didn’t say it is better. Did I?

Same applies to BTRFS. Just a new technology “assumed” to be better “in the future” not necessarily now!

By the way I do not agree with you that saying whatever X is the future is stupidity!

You don’t know how many people this might hurt.

You don’t have a crystal ball that you can use to see the future, and neither do I. Therefore, saying “it’s the future” is absolute nonsense.

You are right. Nobody has a crystal ball to see the future. But people have an alternative to crystal balls, it is called brains, that does something called thinking.

Oh please, do tell me your thinking process, how you figured out that Btrfs and Wayland are “the future”? I would enjoy some entertainment…

:frog::popcorn:

BTW, I’m going to be really disappointed if you say: “some Tuber told me so”.

Yesterday, driven by a quick idea, I installed KDE alongside Cinnamon on one of my laptops, but then quickly removed it, because although it is nice and Window-like, Cinnamon is of similar quality, but more stable. I didn’t like the fact that every time you open a Chrome-based browser on KDE, it asks for a password, and the browser’s own password manager is disabled. In addition, an old KDE bug appeared, the “dancing mouse cursor”, i.e. clicking on a desktop icon does not open the given application, you can only stare at the moving mouse cursor for long seconds.

This happened because:

Normally, the keyring would be unlocked automatically on login but that isn’t happening in your hybrid cinnamon-plasma install.

In general, installing one of the full DEs alongside another full DE is likely to cause all kinds of little oddities. They are all issues that can be resolved, but it isn’t a good way to test a DE.

2 Likes