How is wayland, are gnome or kde usable on multiple screens?

To focus the thread, here are my 3 questions:

1. what is your experience EOS using wayland and gnome on high dpi screens and multiple monitors with different resolution out of the box?

2. Is there an option to scale the screens differently in the display setting (I know its not available under xorg…).

3. I prefer kde… is there a wayland option, and if yes can you scale on different monitors? I tried kde with xorg, it doesnt have that option.

Here some background info, why I am asking that…

Summary

I was running into trouble for a while with one of my rigs that has a hybrid card intel/nvidia. The laptop has a high dpi screen 3280x2160 and external monitor 1920x1080. I had EOS installed, but since its a lenovo I was curious how fedora does since these ship knows days with fedora…

My hardware http://ix.io/2HTM

I wrote a separate thread about high dpi screens and the conclusion was cinnamon has the best support for this situation. However, it is still not ideal, dragging windows shows tearing and glitches. I came to the conclusion, perhaps gnome wayland?

Trying fedora and nouveau driver, I can set both screens with different scales avoiding enormous icons and text or the external screen or tiny icons/text on the laptop. No screen tearing, no glitches. Arch or eos are not easy for fixing that problem, it doesnt work out of the box in my situation. However, in the long run I prefer eos/arch. I read all the arch wikis about high dpi and also about nvidia drivers, so that does not seem to be the problem unless I am missing something.

The thread is not about which distro is better or how to fix my graphics card driver, but rather your experience with EOS out of the box with wayland. I only tried xfce, cinnamon and i3wm, they work great on my other non high dpi laptop.

Improved compatibility with multi-monitor setups using different scale factors for each monitor in the Plasma Wayland Session (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 5.21)

(c) https://pointieststick.com/2020/12/18/this-week-in-kde-all-the-things/

I haven’t tested it, so there is that…I guess that’s what they mean here

2 Likes

As @keybreak wrote it is possible to run Plasma using wayland.

yay -Qs wayland  
local/egl-wayland 1.1.6-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/kwayland 5.77.0-1 (kf5)
    Qt-style Client and Server library wrapper for the Wayland libraries
local/kwayland-integration 5.20.4-1 (plasma)
    Provides integration plugins for various KDE frameworks for the wayland windowing system
local/kwayland-server 5.20.4-1 (plasma)
    Wayland server components built on KDE Frameworks
local/lib32-wayland 1.18.0-2
    A computer display server protocol
local/libva 2.10.0-1
    Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux
local/plasma-wayland-session 5.20.4-1
    Plasma Wayland session
local/qt5-wayland 5.15.2-1 (qt qt5)
    Provides APIs for Wayland
local/sddm 0.19.0-3
    QML based X11 and Wayland display manager
local/wayland 1.18.0-2
    A computer display server protocol
local/wayland-protocols 1.20-1
    Specifications of extended Wayland protocols
local/wl-clipboard 1:2.0.0-2
    Command-line copy/paste utilities for Wayland
local/xorg-xwayland 1.20.0.r800.ge4a9f0bb4-1 (xorg)
    run X clients under wayland

As you can see in the output, there are some packages required to do that. But although I installed them on my computer I don’t have any experience with that. I always wanted to try but either I had no time or did not feel like.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! Off topic but just saw that okular will support digital signatures, finally!

Seems that wayland kde is possible. What about question 2) does an option pop up in wayland to support different scaling on different monitors?

1 Like

Weeeell…They actively working on it, but it’s questionable, best out of the box Wayland for now is Gnome, but i’m not sure about per-display scaling

1 Like

I highly doubt that. You will have to, at least that’s my guess, set it up in systemsettings (display and monitor).

Don’t forget to switch your session type in your login screen (upper left corner when using SDDM). You can decide if you want to use Plasma (which is Xorg) or Plasma Wayland.

Sorry, thats what I meant… was wondering whether a new option would appear in system settings/displays not available in xorg mode. Something one can click and select resolution and scaling for dummies :joy:

Ok thats what I thought. Perhaps for now gnome may be the best solution. Would be good to know whether EOS has the option in settings/display to set fractional scaling for multiple monitors… before I wipe fedora and try reinstalling eos.

I used to have two monitors connected some time ago. It has always been possible to configure different monitors seperately. The only issue at that time was that the monitors were sometimes overlapping each other, so there was only one visible. Clicking on one and dragging it made it possible to see both. I don’t know, if this still happens today.

Ok for screen resolution, but what if I don’t want to downscale my high dpi screen to 1080, did you have an option for screen scaling?

Meaning the system would scale the high dpi screen at 200% and the normal screen at 100% to avoid having hige icons/text. Thanks for feedback!

According to this link display scaling works excellent with Plasma 5.20. Even with a multi-monitor setup. Have a closer look at Display configuration, I guess that’s the route you want to go.

1 Like

Awesome thanks! I tried manjaro kde on live usb but couldnt find the option,
it only had global scaling for the whole system. Thats why I suspected perhaps its only available in kde with wayland…

AFAIK Cinnamon is still the only one with per-display scaling - and you have to turn off desktop effects for the glitching to go away… The other choices will be superior eventually, I guess - just a matter of when and what you decide to put up with.

actually on gnome in fedora I can do the per-display scaling, so was wondering whether this is implemented in gnome wayland in EOS. I can’t really test it on a live iso because gnome can only be installed via online installer. That’s why would be good to know if anyone uses gnome with this feature on EOS and if its there out of the box…

Thanks for the tip! :+1:

If it is anywhere, I would expect it to be on EnOS as well (arch is pretty up-to-date). Can’t personally stand Gnome though (came from Unity and XFCE after I stopped fighting Gnome to do what I wanted) so I can’t help you there! Maybe later - I could put a temporary one on - I have a space to replace… :grin:

Besides that annoyance, gnome keeps constantly crashing my programs, just tested it for 2 days. Dont know if its me but gnome doesnt like me or my qt programs…

Reading more about it, nvidia and wayland are problematic apparently… :disappointed_relieved: