Show your latest purchase! (With pictures)

I assume the latest thing to arrive was the shoe. Is it just some product placement? For sure, it adds some optical value. :wink:

Scnr

Just ordered a Lenvovo Thinkbook!
Ryzen 5 5500 8GB 3200 Mhz Memory Pci-e SSD 512 Ethernet and WiFi Backlit Keyboard and FingerPrint reader on power button + Bluetooth. FHD display. 14" screen Windows 10 Pro

lenovo-laptops-thinkbook-series-thinkbook-14-gen2-amd-gallery-3

9 Likes

:cold_face:

1 Like

This looks great, how does it compare to the Thinkpad lineup? EOS runs great on it I assume :relieved:

Maybe the fingerprint reader is the only bad thing? I donā€™t know but i like the fact that it has Ethernet as well as Wifi and Bluetooth and the USB ports are set up for usb to display port with power. Itā€™s coming with Windows 10 Pro so i guess it can upgraded to Windows 11 pro if you are keeping Windows on it?

I only have a Lenovo Chrome book but a lot of people swear by these lenovos so i give it a try.

Edit: Obviously itā€™s not the Thinkpad line. But they seem to be pretty nice.

Well i hope it can be upgraded to LFS or something :rofl:

And on fingerprint reader on power buttonā€¦thatā€™s so sneaky :male_detective:
Iā€™d at least wonā€™t touch it with my finger until Linux is installed :laughing:

1 Like

Do fingerprint readers not work well in EOS?

I think they can be set up. Never tried it but there is info on the Arch wiki.

I just wear gloves! :wink:

Edit: Besides the price was right! :wink:

2 Likes

For an inkognito mode use a pinkie finger. :grin: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

Iā€™m not even sure you need to use the fingerprint reader on Linux?

They work ā€“ mostly. As usual, it depends on whether there is firmware available. When there is, they work pretty well, but arenā€™t always easy to set up.

I had an old Lenovo T61 that had one and it worked great. My current Dell Inspiron 15 5001 has one of those power button ones that requires proprietary firmware, but the manufacturer hasnā€™t supplied any for Linux and no oneā€™s successfully reverse-engineered it yet.

So how does it work without it? Any issues?

Works great. I bought it new about a year ago. I kept Windows on it long enough to register it with Dell and ā€“ made Windows go bye-bye!

Is it the one with fingerprint reader? So it works okay on Linux without any fingerprint reader set up?

Yeah. It doesnā€™t know to use it if it canā€™t see it.

1 Like

I wonder if the state of fingerprint reader drivers in Linux is as it is because a lot of Linux users donā€™t really care for that feature at all. I know I didnā€™t even try to make my fingerprint reader work. Not even a quick search, and I see a lot of reluctance regarding this topic in this forum too (I might be generalizing this too broad to encompass the Linux world. Maybe itā€™s just my bubble.)

It seems to have some information on the Arch wiki for both gdm and sddm.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fprint

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Using_a_fingerprint_reader

Itā€™s both, I think, technical problems and low demand from users.
Recently one of our devs got interviewed on this topic and gave some background information: https://linuxnews.de/2021/10/warum-funktionieren-nicht-alle-fingerabdrucksensoren-unter-linux/

(Itā€™s in German so one might want to shove the text into some translation tool.)