Show your battlestations

Yeah, I’ll be watching for tips also. I’m afraid to show my Battle Station.

Of course!!!

better yet, show us a before / after comparison :smiley:

2 Likes

Cable management is a myth. I swear gremlins come out at night and mess up all your hard work. :rofl:

6 Likes

Good Idea. I’ll leave all the paper lying around from my wife. It’s a shared office, err, she’s taken it over actually. :rofl:

1 Like

I think it’s like those food advertisement pictures…
It all looks delicious on the photo on packaging, but deep down we all know what disappointment is waiting for us inside the box.

Same with the cable management… it all looks neat, until you have a close look under the desk :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Some of us can’t even hide it under the desk anymore… because if I get down there to ‘fix’ something, there does not appear to be any guarantee I can get back up again! I’ll try to get a pic together - but I haven’t figured out a way of framing it all in (3 sides of a room, not counting the one by the TV)

I suspect a subset is all you’ll get :grin:

2 Likes

You mean before as in dust bunnies, holiday lights for tech lighting, and using a black oven mitt as a mouse pad? :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I think in most cases the packaging would honestly taste better.

2 Likes

Well - apparently I can’t take a picture well - or my phone isn’t much good at it. I wish it was the phone’s fault…

Note the purity of purpose and the excellence of the cable management - and the avoidance of the furry helper!
20200922_152645

12 Likes

They don’t make desks like that anymore! :grinning:

That’s legit battlestation!
With all the meters :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It is a combo desk - the base is from perhaps the 1920s (owned by a famous(?) geography professor) - and the top section is built (by me) from an international shipping crate of some strange Indonesian-sourced plywood, with pine facing strips. Quite a beast when put together with two Commodore(!) 2-drawer file cabinets!

hardware visible: (L to R)
Amiga A2500/030
cheap Amp … under
28" monitor
1200x1600 monitor (didn’t measure)
Corsair K68 keyboard
UPS under desk
RGB fan system, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Plain system, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (w External drive atop)
Brother laser, scanner, copier etc

Unseen in same room:
PC mid-tower circa 1998 (white)
PC Full tower circa 2000 (white)
PC full tower circa 2003 (white)
PC mid-tower Intel build circa 2007 (black)
PC mid-tower AMD build circa 2012 (black) w TV
C128D (separate keyboard, drive built in)
Amiga A1000 (looks like above)

Good things it’s a rec room to hold all that!

5 Likes

What is that beautiful old hardware to the left with the two internal floppy drives and the external floppy drive sitting on top of it?

That is the Amiga A2500/030 (68030 powered/ 7 Meg (!) RAM, 200 meg harddrive) with a transfer drive that can read/write PC hi capacity floppies sitting on top. I only wish I had gone for a LAN card at the time - I was using serial technology for net access in those days…:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Battle station. Itchy dog included. IMG_20200922_175531

And a close up of the “rig.” Please note the stellar wire management. There’s zero.

IMG_20200922_175429

12 Likes

Thank you kindly, Lady Janinah. Photos don’t do it justice, it’s actually a weird mix of Orange, Mustard and Yellow, a bit of everybody without being any of it. :no_mouth:

1 Like

They are great, aren’t they? I wouldn’t need anything different if it wasn’t for playing in Second Life.

1 Like

station

My side of the desk. A bit messy, but not nearly as bad as wifey’s. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

So this happened today:
Too bad only 1 of my 2 ram stick got delivered, apparently they made a mistake, and the other one is coming tomorrow

20200924_092902

20200924_103647

20200924_105616

12 Likes