Share Your Desktop

It’s kinda like “Emacs is not editor, but OS” in a way, much more than just menu :laughing:

1 Like

Well to clarify… I don’t really get the appeal of using XFCE, with I3 as a WM as someone showed screenshots of above…
Never seen it done before, since most people either use XFCE, or I3, not a blend of the two

Only thing I can think of is access to the wisker menu for launching applications, and a task bar…

so hence my question: Are there any benefits of running that kind of setup (Being a blend of XFCE and I3) against running plain i3 with rofi to launch your apps…

That screenshot really piqued my interest, and I would like to now te reasoning behind it

Of course there’s also a bit of a language barrier, English isn’t my native language… if I where to ask it in Dutch, it would be more coherent (for me at least :grin: )

or is there another reason all together to make that kind of setup?

The thing is, i3 is just a window manager, while Xfce is a fully featured desktop environment, one component of which is a window manager, called Xfwm.

If you don’t like Xfwm for some reason, you can replace it with another window manager, and i3 seems to be particularly suitable for the task (no idea why, I haven’t done it personally).

So it’s not really a blend of Xfce and i3, but Xfce with one of its components replaced by i3.

You can use Rofi with vanilla Xfce, too (BTW, I use Rofi on KDE Plasma), so it’s not an either-or proposition.

Here you are practically rephrasing what i meant with my initial question…

I want to know why someone would do that, instead of running just I3

Because i3 is not a desktop environment and Xfce is. People often want more features than just running a bare window manager.

5 Likes

So it’s just a matter of practicality then?
Because in my experience, when you’ve finished configuring your i3 (or other WM) config and added your different modules, you essentially turned it into your own tailored DE

1 Like

Pretty much, in a nutshell:
DE = WM + your own config and set of programs for lazy people :rofl:

Although to get visually and in terms of UX as good & consistent as Deepin or as full featured as KDE you’d have to spend a loooooooot of time with configs and rarely get some better results, but why not try :slight_smile:

Also to some minimalism is the key, like suckless.org

oh and also make sure to visit their SUCKS pages:

Priceless :rofl:
And sometimes kinda true…

1 Like

Oh yeah I’ve seen the Luke Smith videos about suckless…
Too bad his videos seem to have degraded from ‘really informative’ to ‘madman ranting in the woods’

3 Likes

More like mememan :laughing:

2 Likes

We are living in mad times, and it is characteristic of such mad times that it is often impossible to tell the difference between an utterly mad man and a truly wise man.

I’m not suggesting that Luke is either of the two, but I personally find his ramblings worth my time.

1 Like

The line between genius and insanity is a fine one :wink:
That being said, there have been times that, even I, had to agree with some of his ramblings

2 Likes

A little bit of practicality. It’s easier than modifying a config file for every little detail. I still loved the tiles. Buy things like key bindings for instance, could cause issues. Is nice to have something to help when I plug in my TV instead of writing lined to scale it for instance. Is just easier in some regards.

1 Like

Aha! The answer I was waiting for :grinning:
Thanks for explaining. I can see where you’re coming from now.

"Not the slimmest ,but the most beautiful " :smile: The kind i like.Pity i can’t post the pic of the desktop,because it gets in the erotic category for sure ,she fits that description perfectly though. Needless to say i like my linux “slim and fast” like Arch,but the women ,that’s another thing. :grin:

1 Like

I tried xfce+i3 for a while on my main desktop (manjaro). It was cool, but I was already used to straight i3 from another install and found myself craving it, so I ditched the xfce part.

same as me, there are replacements for all tools xfce offers…

I also did straight i3 for a while. I started with Manjaro as well. I couldn’t get a proper plank/latte dock experience where it would hide like I wanted it to. Xfce was a logical next choice because it was all gtk still. So that’s where I tried xfce+i3 for a while. I may go back and try again when I get bored eventually. I had someone tell me to try zentile I think was the package (@manyroads?) But I had already moved onto plasma. In all honesty I like cinnamon so much, and the quick tiling I can do with two applications at a time works perfectly and it’s got so many options for hot keys, if I only had one computer and could only have one DE it’s absolutely what I would run.

If anyone could give zentile in xfce a go and see how it works for tiles, I’ll give it a go maybe? Feedback would be great.

For my tastes, planks etc. are just visual clutter. More importantly, the list of applications I use on any kind of regular basis is pretty short, so Super+Fx bindings and dmenu are all I need.

Never understood the reason for having a dock together with a taskbar. It makes zero sense to me.

4 Likes

In my case I have advanced display settings, terminal, ksysguard, disk, gparted, qalculate.,angrysearch, and dolphin pinned to my plasma panel with icon only task manager, the clock with date, systray, pager, show desktop, and lock/logout. Dock on the right side of the screen with only browsers and email. Both the panel and dock are set to auto hide.

1 Like