Share Your Desktop

Depends how the dock is used and if it auto hides + were it is placed, Docks at the bottom of the screens are just waste space as all screens now are wide screen. So a retracting dock on the left does not take up screen space on my widescreen i can place 2 apps side by side very comfortably.

Iā€™ve got gnome on my touchscreen tablet-pc, and I like the retracting left-side dock thereā€“my left thumb does all the app picking in tablet mode. But on desktops I avoid the mouse as much as possible, so itā€™s keybindings all the way.

Exactly. And besides, if I didnā€™t spend so much time tinkering with my i3config then I might have to do some actual work, God forbid.

I actually agree with this completely. If I were to use a tablet computer, I think gnome would be my first choice.

Yup. Exactly. As soon as one application comes up, it immediately hides until I go for it again. Otherwise itā€™s a great application switcher and launcher for the 8apps I used regularly.

AFAIK, gnome is the only *nix system that works well with tablets. Iā€™ve got a Lenovo Miix 710 and Iā€™m still amazed how well it works out of the box, stylus and all (everything but the camera, which seems not to be supported generally, not that Iā€™ve looked very hard).

I use a desktop canā€™t do with laptops as i have greasy skin and touch-pads do not work well for me, Gnome is keyboard concentric and that suits me fine but i forget the keyboard strokes most days so its mouse actions mostly.

I have 8 apps and menu on my dock, and the top bar also retracts its really not that gnomish i build for my own preferences not for a distro Devs vision

Just a passing thought - the Unity DE is also pretty adept on tablets etc (even, briefly, phones).

Yes - it still exists (one of my distros has it).

I last posted my desktop on August 7:

Today not much has changed, but something is different, and I have a (boring) story to tell.

My desktop wallpaper, then and now, is this 1925 painting by Kandinsky:

https://www.wassily-kandinsky.org/Yellow-Red-Blue.jsp

I have a print of this painting in my home, so I thought I knew the painting well. However, walking by the print in my home yesterday, I suddenly realized that something is wrong: My EndeavourOS desktop is the mirror image (reflected in a vertical axis) of the actual painting. An Internet search quickly confirmed that the print in my home is correct, but my wallpaper is wrong. I had downloaded a flawed version of a favorite painting and used it as my wallpaper. Most embarrassingly, I should have known better than to accept for my wallpaper the mirror image of a painting I loved.

My next thought was to search online for a high-resolution version of the painting with the correct orientation. I was successful in my search, but then I had a better thought: There must surely be a way to correct the image of the painting I had already downloaded. It didnā€™t take long to discover that ImageMagick, which is included with the offline installation of EndeavourOS, has exactly the functionality I needed to correct my wallpaper:

convert -flop kandinsky.jpg kandinsky2.jpg

(Reading man convert, I discoverred that -flip reflects the image on a horizontal axis, but -flop reflects the image on a vertical axis, which is what I needed.)

So, after very little work, thanks to EndeavourOS, here is my current, corrected desktop:

26 Likes

I enjoyed the explanation even more than the desktop! :grin:

6 Likes

next change then converting colors fitting the season!

1 Like

Screenshot_2020-09-17_17-52-26

Screenshot_2020-09-17_17-43-57

Screenshot_2020-09-17_17-48-36

Death Stranding

Screenshot_2020-09-17_18-34-10

Screenshot_2020-09-17_18-34-45

19 Likes

grafik

7 Likes

So beautiful. Thank you for the detailed explanations.

1 Like

1920x1080-px-command-lines-dark-GNU-Linux-1271587-wallhere.com

1920x1080-px-GNU-Linux-1208592-wallhere.com

15 Likes

Nice GNU :laughing:

3 Likes

1680x1050-px-Linux-quote-654335-wallhere.com

23 Likes

nature-1563305-wallhere.com

20 Likes

Thatā€™s 100% true for me. That, and the fact that I passionately hate every other OS1, so that limits my choices a bit. :wink:

1Except GNU/Hurd, but that one is not yet ready, any century nowā€¦
And TempleOS, but Iā€™m not worthy to use it.

2 Likes

3500x1920-px-air-balloon-field-fields-flowers-1745395-wallhere.com

15 Likes

1920x1200-px-amusement-architecture-beaches-build-colors-1780379-wallhere.com

16 Likes