Reinstall fails to boot

after various attempts trying to boot up endevourOS not suceeding, i reinstalled the OS using the “erase and install” selection on the installer. however the system does not boot up. i get the following message
‘’’
starting versionxxx
error: resume hibernation device ‘UUID XXXX" not found
error: device UUID xxxx" not found
mount: /new root cannot find VOID=xxx
you are now being dropped to an emergencey shell
sh: cannnot access tty, job control turned off
(root fs #1
‘’’’
the install logs are here
‘’‘’
http://ix.io/2OI0
“”"
somehow inxi does not run
‘’‘’
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ inxi -Fxxc0z --no-host | curl -F ‘f:1=<-’ ix.io
bash: inxi: command not found
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ ^C
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$
‘’‘’
this is from a previous attempt:
‘’’
http://ix.io/2OnD
‘’’
lsbk -fm
http://ix.io/2OI7

grub config does not show up either
‘’’
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
cat: /boot/grub/grub.cfg: No such file or directory
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$
‘’’
what should i do next please

A quick scan of your EndeavourOS install log shows no problems; you should have a perfectly bootable system. (?)

I would guess an old config in /boot/grub/grub.cfg is the culprit; trying to load an image from an old UUID that is not present.
You probably had another linux system on that device before and calamares (the EndeavourOS installer) sometimes doesn’t correctly get rid of old residue (e. g. has problems setting up or deleting old partitions) in “automatic mode”.

I would recommend deleting all partitions and recreating the partition table manually before attempting to install with calamares. In your case just fire up gparted and get rid of everything on that device.

I agree with 2000’s assesment. This error typically occurs when grub provides a boot instruction telling the kernel that you have a resume image stored somewhere. You can work around this to boot your machine. Once the grub menu comes up, choose which grub menu item you want to boot and hit the ‘e’ key to drop into an editor. You should see a line where grub passes parameters to the kernel at boot including a parameter that reads ‘resume=UUID…’. You can delete the entire parameter and follow the onscreen prompt to boot using the edited entry.

This should get you past that issue to boot, but will not address the root cause. Your installation is looking for a partition that no longer exists. Do you have this machine set up to multi-boot with other OS’s and/o do you have multiple drives? Either of these scenarios can add to the confusion.

1 Like

This is a double post. See:

@moderators perhaps this one should be locked since OP is having assistance on he same issue in another thread? Or lock the other?

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:
Well, it seems @pebcak’s suggestion, although pretty straightforward, wasn’t followed!

@nals
Just do what pebcak suggested in that other thread and I suggested here, independently of each other :wink: . It’s a really simple fix, will only take about 30 seconds and most probably solve your boot issues.

Duplicate topic: Cannot boot up after installation