Recommendations for SD cards

2021-09-10_03-09
1TB 170 MB/s readspeed :star_struck:
sadly not cheap ;(

3 Likes

Here is a picture of the fan I have mounted on my device.

5 posts down has a side view of the fan. The fan is crooked because I bumped it while setting up for the pic.

Here is the specific fan I used.

Works great, very quiet.

Yes, the only throttling it does is by CPU temp, which is not desirable.

Pudge

1 Like

I have tried running the RPi 4b 8GB from a USB SSD. I cannot get it to work. They have changed things and the old work around doesn’t work anymore.

I cannot figure out how they are now determining which device to boot from. The present method now has a file /boot/boot.txt and the old u-boot method is not used. I haven’t figured out how to tell the device to boot from USB instead of uSD. More research.

Pudge

1 Like

Thanks for the links! Your cooling system looks effective indeed. I see in the screenshots that the temp. is around 28 C. Not even at idle I am getting temps like that. It’s around 35-38 for me at idle.

Also good to know that the CPU runs normally at max frequency. I thought perhaps it was a question of some configuration for it to scale up and down “on demand”.

1 Like

@Pudge

what wm install you want 1st?

I no mind

2 Likes

Try i3wm first if you don’t mind.

Pudge

1 Like

@Pudge

pi4-64bit-EOS-i3-new_install_3440x1440_scrot

install perfect :+1: :thinking: htop make me think ! I message you asap after i dig little

3 Likes

Hi @Pudge,

One less DE to test. Gnome installed just fine following the install instructions as before.
But the system is a bit laggy in general. I had it on KDE also.
Are there any tweaks specific to Arch/EnOS ARM which can smooth things up a bit?

rpi-enos-gnome

1 Like

install

↪ pacman -Ss cpupower
community/cpupower 5.14-1 (linux-tools) [installed]
    Linux kernel tool to examine and tune power saving related features of your processor

then in terminal

sudo cpupower -c all frequency-set -g schedutil

to check staus/info

sudo cpupower -c all frequency-info

fresh install run on performance …

3 Likes

Ahh…so that was the “issue”!

Thanks so much @Shjim for the instructions! I followed them and it worked a charm. The cores now boost up to 1500 MHz just when needed.

2 Likes

:pray: think you compare to x86 . no wish offence ( pls forgive if you are ) it mistake most make if new to arm/pi4 … even distrotube last video compare ( my opinion )

2 Likes

also wm is much faster … in my xp of pi4

2 Likes

No offense at all! You are right!

Rpi is new to me so I didn’t really know what to expect. So I am just getting acquainted with it a little bit.
Overall I am happy with it. I just need to learn it’s capabilities and limitations to be able to make good use of it.

Perhaps my next step will be to learn how to handle a wm.
I appreciate your knowledge and opinion. Thank you!

2 Likes

if install eos i3 on Pi4 ( no pressure ) pls message me , i have thing i like to test + confirm

1 Like

Alright, I will!
I need to get a couple more of SD cards. Pity that the SSD boot doesn’t function.

I tried Raspberry OS earlier today. It boots both from SD card and USB. Quite snappy system with RAM usage on fresh boot around 250-270 MB.

Btw, I overclocked my Rpi. It feels a bit snappier. Now I have to get a cooling fan as soon as possible.

2 Likes

5.10 kernel or lower? + it no Arch/EndeavourOs :rofl: 555555555

3 Likes

Yes, 5.10 something. And no Arch, it’s not. So no daily driver :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

i find thing for you … :wink:

picom7

Edit … you should try 32 bit

1 Like

Looks really nice with only 165 MB memory usage :open_mouth:

Sure, perhaps my next install I would try that.

1 Like

I think I need to clarify something.

32 BIT OS - RPi 4b 8GB boots from USB SSD just fine. I just checked it.
64 BIT OS -RPi 4b 8GB no longer works from USB SSD.

So, probably the best thing would be 32 Bit OS on USB SSD.

@pebcak
Installing a 32 Bit OS on the RPi 4b 8GB is even easier than the 64 bit work around you have been using.

Just go to the following:
https://github.com/endeavouros-arm/image-install
and follow the instructions in the readme.MB
Do a git clone, start the script, answer the questions. when choosing the device type, choose the bottom choice

Then at the end, it will ask if the device is a uSD card or USB SSD. Choose appropriately.

Then connect the USB SSD to your RPi 4b 8GB and boot up.
Now follow the same instructions as before
https://arm.endeavouros.com/endeavouros-arm-install/

Sorry for the confusion.

Pudge

2 Likes