Linux gaming [Guide]

What rig do you have? I have the msi gs72 6qe with the same 960m. I’ve noticed with some games the fan really kicks in and is quite loud but others the fan is really quiet. I don’t think its particularly related to graphic intensive games as i only really play Just Cause 3, Left for dead 2 and doom. They all play really well

It’s an Asus ROG 752. It may not be the fact that it is Linux. It may just be the fact that the GPU odesn’t perform as well as I would like. I think I have always expected more out of it. If I could get a little more that would be great.

I just tested with Witcher 3 and that seems to spin the fan up a little more, so maybe your right about the individual games.

1 Like

@shockwave @sawdoctor
Discuss hardware / driver problems in dedicated threads please :wink:

1 Like

If you’ve been eying the Forza games with envy Project Cars 3 is well worth a look.

It’s running really smoothly with the GE version of proton.

Really enjoying it and I’m quite fussy when it comes to driving games, though I admit to having a softspot for the tail happy driving model.

1 Like

Was pretty busy lately, but still…

For those who already have read guide

Changes:

• Removed part on disabling network for WINEPREFIX via disabling wininet, as this is not universal and will prevent a lot of games to start. So for now only block by Firewall

• Updated 2. Requirements 2.2 Make sure your GPU supports Vulkan section with better instructions for older GPUs which doesn’t support Vulkan

However i’ll need to think on how to globally disable DXVK/D3DVK for Steam, it’s easy to do per-game or per-engine though, but still i’d like to use some ultimate universal way - please suggest, if you already know it…

• Added PlayOnLinux links to 7. Resources section

WHY ONLY WINEBUILDS LINKS ?

PlayOnLinux had extremely important role for Wine years ago, some brilliant ideas was tested by time - including importance of separate WINEPREFIX with non-system Engines, easy prefix management, scripts…

However it’s very heavy program with a lot of unnecessary dependencies, scripts are too complicated for average users, very complex wiki, a lot of overhead and obscure UI…

So mostly it’s pointless now, i can’t recommend program - it’s far easier and reliable to use Wine directly, when you know how, especially for gamers.

PlayOnLinux successor is Phoenicis which is in beta and even worse, coz it depends on java…

However, with all that criticism - PlayOnLinux has best system for winebuilds and most complete library of engines, easily available for download via site or JSON db.

Plus very humble and honorable main dev, who close donates when he’s too busy and doesn’t feel real need for more…
So if you have ideas on how else to help or contribute to those super-heroes - please do that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Frog mafia released new TKG :frog:
wine-tkg and proton-tkg 5.16.r2.gf6495b29

2 Likes

Great guide. :+1:t2: I’ve been amazed watching how Wine’s progressed in the 3 years since coming to Linux. Didn’t know gaming was possible when crossing over, and, without discovering Playonlinux, the guides at Gamersonlinux, and GoG back then, would never have managed. I find Wine very complex and have never managed to configure it manually. Amazing that, due to Wine’s work, and mesa, it’s shifted to just being able to double click most things and they install and run so well. Thank goodness, lol. :rofl:

2 Likes

:interrobang: If someone have any idea how to do it - please help!

1 Like

Wine 5.17 Released

Summary

Bugs fixed in 5.17 (total 17):
22616 Multiple applications need msvcirt.dll.??0ifstream@@QAE@PBDHH@Z (Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Power Tab Editor, gmax 1.2, GradeBook for Windows, Microsoft Reader)
24182 Multiple games need IDirectDrawMediaStream::Get/SetFormat implementation (Need for Russia, Motocross Madness 2, The Sims Complete Collection)
30014 Multiple programs require msvcirt.dll.??0ifstream@@QAE@XZ (Wouxun KG-UV2D, Charon, Cricket 2002, Mastercook 15, GraphCalc)
35782 Tic Tac Toe Game (vbscript) cannot be played (colon used in for loop for placing multiple statements on the same line)
41005 Deadlight: Director’s Cut (UE3, 64-bit) loads to a black screen
43999 GetVersion incorrectly fails to lie about the OS version when masquerading as Windows 8.1 or 10
45642 Chrome/Chromium sandbox needs x86-64 syscall thunks to match Windows
46278 Cisco Jabber 12.5 sends only first letter due to missing richedit:ITextRange functions
47048 Logitech webcam does not show picture, only grey
47642 Support conversion from GST_VIDEO_FORMAT_RGB to DirectShow-supported formats (needed by Risk II + native amstream)
48130 Launching World of Tanks from the shortcut doesn’t work
48407 OllyDbg 2.x segfaults the process after attaching to it
49125 Logos Bible Software Indexing fails 64bit only 32bit works
49242 provide some way to get reported windows version via command line
49749 Visual Studio 2019 installer crashes after unpacking content
49762 Emulated virtual desktop ignores size set in winecfg
49805 Pyxel Edit crashes when clicking the “File” dropdown option.

4 Likes

New TKG Engine update :frog:

wine-tkg and proton-tkg 5.17.r0.gc44db537

3 Likes

Left4Dead2 The Last Stand, first major update in 10 years releasing September 24

The update is called The Last Stand, and refers to a lighthouse-themed level previously only available in the original Left 4 Dead . As the YouTube Channel Valve News Network (VNN) indicated, it really does seem to be a collaborative effort between Valve and its community to refresh the game for the first time in nearly a decade.

4 Likes

Beamdog just gave Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition a big graphical boost

These can really change and improve the RPG experience found here. Beamdog are absolutely comitted to making it the best it can be, with this update being the biggest since the Enhanced Edition release back in 2018.

What’s inside? For starters, a whole new lighting engine with:

Physically based rendering (PBR), with emulation of specular reflection, surface “roughness”, Fresnel-effects and gamma correction. All in all, this gives a more realistic and “natural” look.

Tone mapping that prevents color distortion of bright lights and enables overbright.

Per-pixel lighting rather than per-vertex of the old setup, yielding much more precise light illumination levels relative to distance.

Full dynamic lighting, supporting up to 32 dynamic lights (previously NWN effectively only supported 6).

You can pick up Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition from GOG and Steam.

1 Like

Looks intetesting. Shame there’s only 1 graphical comparison image though… Hopefully we’ll see some more images and videos soon displaying the update :slight_smile:

Yeah true that. Honestly though, that one image was impressive enough for me. I fired up Neverwinter Nights about a month ago just to see the graphics (been many years since I have played it,) and it is pretty dated, respectively, so any improvement would be a welcome. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve never played Neverwinter Nights. But if The
graphics are as good as that 1x comparison screenshot. I’m in!: I I Iove RPGs

1 Like

Oh it is a good RPG, lots of fun, decent underlying story and lots of action. RPGs are mostly all I play, whenever I find time. :grin:

1 Like

I got a few suggestions for you. In the lutris section, add that that one can search a game on lutris.net and add it to their library. It can easily be installed by the script and will inforem the user whether or not they need to download an installer. Also maybe mention that non-provided games in the library can be added, actually any windows app can.

It is possible to install dotnet in a specific wine prefix with a command like winetricks dotnet48 inside the pfx. Adding to that how to run/install other applications in the pfx with commands within the pfx such as wine ~/Dopwnloads/Setup.exe. Also could always add how to build dxvk from github to have the most up to date version if a fix for a certain game is not in the latest release yet. You did touch on some of those things, but I think you could explain more and develop it a little more.

The linux-zen kernel provides fsync patches improving the experience with proton or others that have fsync enabled.

Maybe touch up on itch.io as they have their own linux launcher and gamehub which is kind of like lutris, but let’s you use a controller to browse your games such as steam big picture.

Great work! It’s amazing to have everything in one spot. If you ever need help, feel free to hit me up. I’ve been gaming a lot and playing around that kind of stuff.

2 Likes

@zangoku
Hey thank you, very much appreciated! :slight_smile:
Sorry that i kinda stuck, i have a lot on mind - but also a lot of work right now :laughing:

You practically read my mind i already started writing on couple of weeks or more ago:

• Installation with Lutris as this is easiest for newcomers (btw you can even search / install in program itself without going out on site)
  • Fixing resolution with virtual desktop, if it’s messed up on initial start
  • Fixing sound crackles / cut offs in some games

I think i covered that pretty much without explicitly saying phrase in Wine 4.4 Install game and Lutris 5.3 Add game :upside_down_face:

Although, maybe you’re right - worth mentioning directly somewhere…

That i covered for now with tricks.sh and other scripts, it’s medium easy, but for a while i’d have to do it like that until i’ll have more free time to release my wine tool, which makes such task just 2 clicks away without any commands / scripts. :partying_face:

Initial goal was to release at least something, because demand was very high, so i’ve decided to break it on simple scripts for people to understand not the most straightforward process of managing Wine, it’s far from finished yet :wink:

So for now i’ll leave it as is and rewrite guide in a much more straight-forward way than now, after releasing my wine script hopefully!

I’ve mentioned it briefly in places with Fsync:

Not sure if i’m comfortable enough to mention it as recommendation, because:

1. Zen doesn’t look like most stable thing in a world to me, just yet
  2. I’m pretty sure soon Fsync will become mainline
  3. Weirdly enough, Fsync is not panacea for all games, in my testing it made some worse (at least with my setup)
  4. Custom Kernels probably can be considered advanced thing for most users for now

Still, maybe i’ll think on how to mention it without getting way too deep :wink:

I was about to research that question as well, what i’m sure is that i probably won’t write whole section on it, since Lutris looks kinda…easier and more advanced in it’s features

However that controller like big picture mode is pretty worth to investigate, a lot of people this days love it!

@RodneyCK
I was very impressed by L4D2 update out of nowhere! :laughing:
It’s actually a good idea to post some Gaming news / updates - it will surely be a very hot topic!

However, this hub i thought as:

So it’s more about Why? / How?, than What? we play, i suggest to separate subjects to not get super-mega-thread :space_invader:

Let’s do another thread for that:

4 Likes

@anon31687413
Since you’re very much on top of Kernel game, what’s the current state of Fsync integration to mainline Kernel?