Linux gaming [Guide]

GloriousEggroll Proton-5.9-GE-6-ST got updated!

Summary

This is more of a “catch up” release. Since we’re still waiting on esync/fsync to be rebased and it’s been about 5 releases since any major backports, I decided to go ahead and backport the remaining important stuff so that if need be we can continue to backport stuff from 5.17+ until esync/fsync are rebased without me needing to go through another 7 wine releases worth of patches.

Nothing too crazy here except Path of Exile fixed as of the 3.12.2 update and Horizon Zero Dawn works now. Last I checked there were some nvidia driver issues with HZD that may have since been fixed but otherwise it works.

Nothing has really changed in terms of media foundation. Persona 4 is also still broken (again) I was hoping backporting the quartz stuff would help here but no luck unfortunately.

There were quite a bit of audio patches so hopefully audio improves a bit, specifically a lof of xactengine work and wavebank work in both wine and FAudio. FAudio also introduced WMA decoding with gstreamer and is now built with gstreamer support instead of ffmpeg.

1 Like

I suppose you mean the FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE extension for Proton?

Most probably not going to happen, see for example this: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/2/28/965

The dev is working on “futex2”: https://gitlab.collabora.com/tonyk/linux/-/commits/futex2-alt/ but that needs changes to glibc.

EDIT: by the way, the “old” patch cannot be applied anymore to kernel 5.9.

1 Like

Yeah i think FUTEX…
Well damn, that’s deeper than i thought, as always :laughing:

I remembered that there was a lot of demands for that (also Manjaro have integrated Fsync not long ago in their Kernel)

That’s just great :rofl:

I don’t understand the technical background at all either :slight_smile:
But given the comments from the senior kernel devs on the LKML, it doesn’t look like they want to integrate it.

Another dev (I think the original author of that patch) has proposed something else though: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/7/8/96 and https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/4/1122

1 Like

Hmm… I wonder who did that… :thinking: :grin:

These patches might not reach mainline, but they are already in linux-zen. :partying_face:

3 Likes

Yes to linux-zen!! A gamer’s blessing. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Changes:

If you click on post right top corner - you can see edits / changes:
Post 1, edit 13
Post 2, edit 6

P.S. For now i couldn’t find it for some reason, but remember there was a way to use Virtual desktop with Steam client easily per-game, not per-engine, anyone knows that perhaps?

2 Likes

The question is, will they be kept post 5.8?
The current patch cannot be applied to 5.9 without some changes.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that there are some updated patches, so I’m going to say “yes”. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Stellar news! :partying_face:

Big update for vkd3d v1.2

Summary

The Wine team is proud to announce that release 1.2 of vkd3d, the Direct3D to Vulkan translation library, is now available.

This release contains improvements that are listed in the release notes. The main highlights are:

• Availability of libvkd3d-shader as a public library.
  • Support for tessellation shaders.
  • Version 1.1 root signatures.
  • Stream output support.

The source is available here.

2 Likes
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
/usr/bin/vkd3d-compiler exists in both 'lib32-vkd3d' and 'vkd3d'
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

:thinking:

Don’t use system one, use Lutris for that (just check DXVK / vkd3d) or just use / build one from repo

What does Lutris have to do with anything?

Why would I want to build it instead of just waiting to be fixed?

1. You certainly can wait, but thing is - there is no need to use system package at all (and usually it’s less stable, because of such errors could occur anyway). It makes sense to use only if you use system Wine / system wineprefix, which i’d personally not recommend, as stated in this guide :wink:

2. You can manage versions of such libs through Lutris (just because it’s easier than manually manage / build them), i’m not sure they’ve updated to vkd3d v1.2 (doesn’t have any dx12 title at hand to check) right now, but surely if not yet - it will happen very soon.

Yeah, I’m going to wait. It makes zero sense for me to manually build anything wine-related as I care little to follow the development. Hell, I can barely use it anyway.

Lutris to me is just a place for shortcuts where I can flip a switch or two just in case, maybe use an installer occasionally if I feel like playing something from GOG. Between half the technical things I don’t understand and the awful UI, that’s as much as I can get out of it.

Wine 5.18 Released

What’s new in this release (see below for details):

• Vulkan shader compilation using the new vkd3d-shader library.
  • USER32 library converted to PE.
  • Console no longer requires the curses library.
  • Support for display modes with various orientations.
  • A number of syntax fixes in the WIDL compiler.
  • Non-recursive makefiles.
  • Various bug fixes.

Summary

Bugs fixed in 5.18 (total 42):
10603 IDirectSoundBufferImpl_SetFX needed for sound effects in several games
18670 QIP Infium 2.0 build 9030 crashes on exit (needs a proper implementation of WSACleanup)
21232 Multiple games and applications (Chromium-based browser engines, Blizzard games, League of Legends) crash due to hooking/anticheat validation (needs syscall thunks in ntdll.dll)
22749 Hard link creation from a Finddupe-generated batch file fails (‘fsutil.exe’ needs to support ‘hardlink create’ command)
35467 Multiple games crash on unimplemented function msvcirt.dll.??0fstream@@QAE@PBDHH@Z (Lock On: Modern Air Combat, TRON 2.0)
36960 Avencast: Rise of the Mage fails to start (D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA failed)
37254 wineconsole/curses.c fails to build on NetBSD 6.1.4
37491 wineconsole requires/uses TERM environment variable
37644 .NET console applications using System.Console.Clear() crash when directly started in terminal
38964 widl: inconsistent null pointer checks in typelib writer
39469 PreSonus Studio One 3 says it requires Windows 7 SP1 (d3d11 ‘{bb2c6faa-b5fb-4082-8e6b-388b8cfa90e1}’, ‘ID3D11DeviceContext1’ not implemented)
43107 The Witcher 3 fails to detect dx11 - registry dx11>opengl applied
44422 Vectric Aspire 9 : it does not load 3d images
45433 dark souls 3: cannot change resolution in fullscreen mode
45573 League of Legends 8.12+ fails to start a game (anticheat engine, hooking of syscall return instructions)
45797 NVIDIA GeForce Experience 3.x installer fails due to ‘mshtml.OleObject_{Get,Set}Extent’ stubs
47251 add support for ConPTY API (pseudo console)
47491 dinput event queue is overflowing and stalling the whole game/wineserver
48396 ‘cmd.exe /c move file1 file2’ doesn’t respect non-interactive mode, causing prompt for overwrite if destination file exists
48397 ‘cmd.exe /c move file1 file2’ doesn’t overwrite existing destination file in non-interactive mode
48952 NVDA hangs on start
49038 O.E.D. v 4.0 (Oxford English Dictionary) No longer starts.
49206 ITHVNR: hooked processes segfault
49309 vbscript:run test fails in Japanese locale
49335 Dolphin EasyReader for Windows 6.04 (TTS app) crashes after completing startup wizard (needs IMarkupServices::CreateMarkupPointer method implementation)
49343 Neverwinter Online: Launcher crash on Startup
49532 .NET 4.0 and higher fail to install via winetricks
49591 Multiple GOG installers display the error message “Out of Global Vars range”
49624 Protocol error: process 0020: recvmsg: Message too long on mac OS
49643 Calling ClipCursor too frequently can cause stack overflow in foreground window thread.
49647 wine 5.14 build fails in winegstreamer on Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9
49738 “warning: implicit declaration of function ‘strtoumax’” when compiling PuTTY with Winelib
49765 SlingPlayer Desktop crashes on unimplemented function msvcrt._snprintf_c
49770 Firestorm viewer crashes
49774 macDriver no longer functions within macOS VM
49806 WIDL doesn’t tolerate attribute [hidden] within enums.
49811 cmd /c “cd “directory”&&“somecommand.exe”” tries to cd to “directory”&&“somecommand.exe”
49820 VBScript fails to parse decimal literals between -1 and 1 without 0 in front
49834 45a63e5b3ce0e5d7fcc55ce57f315086b87f8ad7 breaks binary compatibility with 5.0 on passing main() argc
49847 Logos Bible 8: wineserver always using 100% CPU core
49850 No One Lives Forever crashes due to GetMotif stub in dmstyle
49889 wineserver shows failed assertion on shutdown

Looks like it’s important release for fans of many on-line games with dreaded anti-cheats :space_invader:

2 Likes

That’s a massive plus for fans of those kind of games - I’m not one of them. But still can see benefits of it.

2 Likes

Same here, but there are a lot of people who afraid of Linux coz there are problems with some specific on-line games, so it’s very good news for platform overall! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aaaand TKG is on it again! :frog:

wine-tkg and proton-tkg 5.18.r3.g9acfa3b8

Shipped with latest vkd3d btw :slight_smile:

is this something like Glorious Egg Roll?