Jonathon passed away

Hello all,
I am Jonathon’s brother, I would just like to say thank you all so much for the very kind messages, they have really helped me through this very difficult time.

Jonathon will be severely missed

60 Likes

Hi Thomas,

thank you for the effort to let us know our condolences have reached you.
As you may have read, Jonathon was a very beloved and respected member in the community and we wish you and your family all the strength and love through this difficult time.

29 Likes

Thank you @Bryanpwo.

As testament to how much he cared about this, and other, Linux communities, I can see he was still actively taking part even when he was nearing his end and suffering tremendously. It must have brought him so much joy to help and to guide.

26 Likes

I am very sorry to hear about his suffering and I’m sure helping out the Linux community brought him a somewhat good distraction during that period.

Take care.

19 Likes

Nice to hear from you, and indeed Jonathon was a beloved Member of the Family.
He was a true legacy and he will be missed!

We will all try to follow his dedication to Linux, Archlinux, and the community!

19 Likes

Sounds like Jonathon will be greatly missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

9 Likes

i am also so sorry to hear, that he had to suffer when the end was coming. I wish you and your family all the best to get through all of this. Hopefully you can give each other the strength you all need for this.
:cry:

10 Likes

Once again thank you all for the messages. I do not tire from reading them and I would love to see Jonathon’s face reading all these compliments, praise and knowing he has really touched and helped so many.

Jonathon was a very private man but I am sure he would not mind me giving a quick overview of his situation from my perspective.

He had been quietly battling cancer, the last 5 months of his life had seen a dramatic turn for the worse. Fortunately he managed to spend a few of hours at home for Christmas.

On the January 7th, he died at home surrounded by people who loved him.

I have had a request for some pictures as well, just for context this is at my daughters birthday.

jof

Yes that is Jake and Princess Bubblegum.

47 Likes

It’s funny, coz in Linux world he was truly a super-star! :star_struck:
Perhaps it’s the name of the game over here.

Cancer is such an awful illness…
But i’m glad that he was clearly taking it with dignity and put a damn good fight!

Jonathon had a great spirit, always willing to help.
It still feels surreal, he was always around, busy with so many things around Linux…

We will miss him.

18 Likes

@keybreak Well said sir. He will be missed.

9 Likes

My condolences, Thomas.

You brother was a great man in these circles, we are all indebted to him and we miss him.

14 Likes

R.I.P. @jonathon
My condolences to his family and friends.

https://archlinux.org/news/in-memory-of-jonathon-fernyhough/

15 Likes

This, to me, just shows how fucking outstanding of a human being he was. There are few more noble things than spending your life in pursuit of helping others.

10 Likes

I remember the day when he joined us from Manjaro, and he had a helping word for everyone, including me. I couldn’t know him personally. Then we could read his comments less and less. Rest in peace my friend @jonathon.

9 Likes

My sympathies to the family. He was greatly appreciated and will be dearly missed by all of us.

7 Likes

my condolences. rest in peace

4 Likes

Man, this is unexpected. I followed Jonathan from Manjaro to Endeavour OS. He was always helpful, patient and knowledgeable. One of those people that everyone in the wider Arch/Linux Universe just kind of knew. Very sad to hear of his passing. He definitely made a strong impact though, as it’s clear to see from the outpourings here and the other community spaces he frequented. Much empathy and best wishes to his family.

14 Likes

This is shocking. I’ll forever be grateful to him for answering my elementary questions, while also teaching me to be more pragmatic. Rest in peace.

8 Likes

So sad to see great men have to go too.
He personally helped and affected so many people here and elsewhere.
His contribution to the Linux world was and is spectacular.
Condolences to his family and all friends.

13 Likes

@Thomasf I am coming late to this sad news. My condolences. Your brother was always there to offer help, and of course to share his knowledge of tea. I first ran into him on Manjaro in 2013, and he has been a fixture in my interactions with the Arch world ever since. He will be, he is sorely missed.

5 Likes