Jonathon passed away

On Saturday 07 January 2023, Jonathon Fernyhough, or Jonathon as we in the Linux community knew him, unfortunately passed away.

He played a very large role in the Linux community, especially for Arch, Manjaro and for most Arch distros including ours.
Describing his contribution to the Linux community in a single word would be impossible, since he maintained almost 200 AUR packages and also helped out any Arch based distro out there, including helping numerous users out on forums.

I will never forget his help from the very first day this forum went online to the infamous breaking of it last Summer. His packages also brought EndeavourOS miles and miles forward.
I think I can speak for a lot in the Arch community that Jonathon left an impressive legacy behind and hopefully will carry on in the future.

Our thoughts are with his family.
We shall miss you, our beloved and passionate friend.

(Thanks to @moson for bringing this sad news to our attention).

72 Likes

Rest in peace, Jonathon. We did never met, but you have been the very first guy who replied to my first question in here: that’s the way I used to recognize you.
For what it’s worth now: thank you, Mistah.
Piero

18 Likes

My condolences and prayers lifted up for him and his family. Rest In Peace Sir!
I would like to share this poem.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

by Mary Elizabeth Frye

23 Likes

I am very sad about this. I only had great interactions with him in this forum. Don’t know what to say but it’s shoking.

16 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about this. He will be missed but never forgotten. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

:pray: :cry:

14 Likes

Rest In Peace. My condolences to the family and friends.

13 Likes

:cry: I was wondering why he had been not-so-active recently.

My condolences to his family, may he rest in peace. A great loss to the linux community, he was a humble man who was dedicated to open-source, creating great things, and helping people, and had a great personality.

13 Likes

I checked my own topics and most of them had his msgs helping. What a terrible loss to the community. My sincere condolences to his family and friends and may he rest in peace! We all will miss him for sure. :sob: :pray:t3:

12 Likes

This is a big loss for the Linux and Arch communities.

I know he had turned over his Arch packages to other maintainers. A check I did for AUR showed just shy of 200 packages still owned by him. They will need new maintainers. :frowning:

12 Likes

Very sad news. He had such generosity of time and spirit, and was always determined to get to the root of a problem. A big loss for us all. At least we were able to show him in a small way how much he was appreciated before he left us.

Rest in peace.

11 Likes

You’ll be remembered, Jonathon. I discovered EOS following you here from Manjaro, and never stopped to thank you for this ! Be in peace.

13 Likes

sad news. i did not know him. from what i have heard he must have been a great person. my condolences go out to his family and friends.

11 Likes

I really liked the guy.

You could always count on his sharp wit - and immense experience.

I am looking forward to the day I will get to met him in resurrection.

John 5:28-29 28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

16 Likes

I cannot even express in words how deeply this loss saddens me. I considered Jon my friend and he will be sorely missed.

Goodbye Jon.

18 Likes

never seen that comming… but jonathon you where great there wil be always a star for you in endeavour space.

15 Likes

Very sad news, rest in peace Jonathon

11 Likes

This really makes me very sad. Jonathan was an institution in the Linux world. He was for me the Linux admin with the biggest footprint in the EndeavourOS / Arch world. This is very, very sad. :sob:

My condolences go out to his loved ones. May he rest in peace.

15 Likes

Deine Wege enden hier
Unsere führen noch weiter
Wir werden deinen Pfaden folgen
zu Hunderten, zu Tausenden
Ein Denkmal in unseren Köpfen
Wir werden dich nicht vergessen.

Your paths end here
Ours lead even further
We will follow your paths
by hundreds, by thousands
A monument in our minds
We will not forget you.

18 Likes

just read this .
A Hero on Linux and special to Archlinux is gone .

A sad day .

Rest in peace Jonathon Fernyhough . All the Power needed to his family and loved ones .

22 Likes