It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware (Phoronix Article)

TTY for the win! :partying_face:
Who needs all that server bloat anyway :rofl:

4 Likes

From what I understand, the Xorg technology has some weaknesses built in itself, nothing can be done about it as of now and Wayland can surpass this only if its 100 % Xorg free as ringo mentioned in the previous post.

I agree with you about the Wayland push thatā€™s happening with IoT :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe like Openbox, XOrg has reached perfection and needs no further development. :laughing:

Xorg is just more or less on maintainance mode. wil Wayland come? yesā€¦ when nobody knowā€¦ probably when gtk5 is there :slight_smile: there is enough wayland material out there but software dont want to move or cnā€™t it wil decapriate piece by pieceā€¦ nobody dont want there stuf broken down in a sudden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thereā€™s probably a lot we all need to understand more, as Iā€™ve read conflicting things in various places e.g. that thereā€™ll be elements of xorg, i.e. a compatability layer, to ensure any devices/apps that would have issues with transitioning to wayland (which could be the majority), can run. One post I read said thereā€™ll always be that layer, not just during transition. A lot seems up in the air or unclearly communicated, as is the linux way.

Many things have some weaknesses, e.g. I saw on reddit recently about a bug from 2012, in something major (not xorg), that hadnā€™t been fixed ā€¦ fuzzy on the details now, lol, but a lot of people were surprised and fed up re that. I donā€™t see that about xorg, and I personally have no complaints about xorg ā€¦ itā€™s always run graphics tablets perfectly, never had problems with graphics, very stable. And itā€™s a shame about this big changeover, as it seems the xorg team themselves have been working on wayland since 2008, instead of fixing the supposed security holes in xorg, which, again, I donā€™t think are the real issue, or they would have been fixed.

Yes, definitely about IoT, unfortunately. :slight_smile: Iā€™m firmly in the camp of if something is very integrated and needed by many many devices/softwares etc, improve that, rather than this unnecessary shift. Increasingly decisions arenā€™t considering the desktop as much, so it really winds me up that this transition is being forced onto desktop, when it isnā€™t really about desktop, but more for the corporate/business/servers/IoT stuff, parallel to the increase in surveillance.

1 Like

@anon96036739

Check this link out. One of the previous server release manager of Xorg has reacted on his blog to the phoronixā€™s article. Its a nice take on the current situation.

1 Like

Hmm, donā€™t know, he seems to be saying he just prefers not to continue? Back to preference, not need.

The comments reminded me ā€¦ screen record, screen shot, screen mapping and therefore invariably graphics tablets, etc, are some of the things not looking good about wayland. KDE and nvidia have endless issues with it (I use neither, thankfully). And Iā€™ve seen comment that screen record and screen shot are possibly viewed as (business/IoT) security issues, so I donā€™t know if that points to development for that being put bottom of the list or not considered or people forced to work via something else. Going down this dark rabbit hole of trying to piece together stuff and plan can just distract and depress, so my plan is, at some point fairly soon, to do a laptop install (not main pc) that I never update or go online in, to ensure thereā€™s backup for running graphics tablet.

EDIT: just to add this link, which illustrates how some devs may well decide to abandon softwares rather than adapt them ā€¦ he states ā€œā€¦ the work of maintaining and updating this program takes too much of my time, which I was giving for free, and I am no longer interested in working with things like ffmpeg/wayland/GNOMEā€™s screencaster or solving the issues related to them or why they donā€™t work.ā€

https://github.com/mhsabbagh/green-recorder

1 Like

here is the thing i didnt understand until recently and many dont about wayland, i use to say many of the things people do about wayland till i understood the project (sort of) and its intent.

Wayland is not meant to fully replace X, never has and never will and that is exactly its point. Wayland is a display protocol and it does that well. X is everything in one and it doesnt do a good job at any of it but its what weā€™ve had for a long time.

The issue with X is that it is the entire kitchen sink, its bloated and an absolute nightmare in regards to maintenance, security is not good (other applications can easily grab your screen i.e), and it tries to take on too much being a jack of all trades but good at none of it and theyve been gimping it along for years. Wayland on the other hand has been built from the ground up as just a display protocol with the rest of the features X has meant to be replaced through 3rd party extension and not handled through wayland for better maintenance and easily improving it over years to come without having a huge maintenance burden like X is.

Wayland is easier to maintain, its more secure, its faster, and people keep saying that Wayland isnt stable but Wayland is perfectly fine the issue is how compositors implement wayland NOT the wayland protocol. Theres also the little bit of Nvidia deciding they dont want to play nice with anyone else when pretty much every single gpu vendor besides them uses GBM while they try to push their own agenda with EGLStreams. Again not a fault of the wayland protocol but Nvidia having their head crammed firmly in their behind.

Thing is that All of what you mentioned isnt meant to be implemented by wayland, that is not its purpose. Those are meant to be implemented separately from the Wayland protocol and while the Wayland devs view it as a security issue its not that it isnt possible but not in the scope of the projects intent.

As for screen recording I have OBS patched with the beta Wayland support here OBS for Wayland with HEVC and Mutter DMA-BUF patched

Also, while Wayland seems to be the future, what is the benefit of running it if you use a single X application? Then you get X + XWayland + Wayland instead of just X?

No you dont get X + XWayland + Wayland you just get XWayland + Wayland when running X applications as XWayland IS X as a compatibility layer for X applications. The advantage is improved security, things like Zero Copy OOTB, and essentially all of the other Wayland benefits in regards to improved compositing,etc.

currently wayland runs on xorg as a layer aboveā€¦ and another layer xwayland over that for xorg based programmes

@ringo What do you mean Wayland run on Xorg? I just need to understand what youre referring to because no it doesnt. If youre running a Wayland environment its running wayland and if you launch an X application it uses Xwayland. Wayland running on Xorg doesnt make any sense.

Personal, current wayland has no different security issueā€¦but thats a opinion, unless wayland goes 100,% xorg free

When you run Xwayland it doesnt magically make it not Wayland, you still get the security benefits of Wayland (isolating clients so they cant pull your entire screen, inputs, etc.) when using Xwayland and thats the point.

1 Like

mayby imwrong :slight_smile: im not convinced if you remove xorg and keep wayland things works properly :wink:

any application supporting wayland will work. Wayland doesnt need X, X applications need X.

You can remove X and wayland works as do native wayland applications Im not sure what made you think wayland runs on X. You can do it yourself if you want, and how would wayland have worked before Xwayland was a thing otherwise? XWayland didnt happen until 2014 and wayland has been in development since 2008

1 Like

mayby of unknown :slight_smile: but i think xorg wil stay atleast for 5 years :slight_smile:

Xorg isnt going anywhere till applications people use no longer need it no doubt. Xorg being maintained/actively developed is is in question as ATM nobody wants to touch it

Xorg isnt going anywhere, its just dieing a slow death