It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware (Phoronix Article)

@anon96036739

I found something relevant to xfce but seems to be a separate project.

my thinking also :wink:

3 Likes

That’ll have eased your concerns, I imagine. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Haha yeah, it was my anxiety that made me dig up this article
:smiley:

1 Like

Seeing that there’s custom-licensed dependencies I’m seeing for 1 of the 3 wayland packages so far, that’s a concern. Is wayland involving more of the custom licensing? If so, will there be any distro to use that won’t be affected by wayland? yet is still usable with a graphics tablet?

1 Like

@anon96036739
hmm, am lost as you are… not sure how licensing would be affected here.

Richard Stallman won’t be happy :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes, I prefer to stick to the GPL to the max. This custom stuff makes me very uneasy, especially wrapped up in very IoT/web-friendly wayland. Plus, it’s no wonder the big applications etc don’t get ported to Linux, when the sand shifts as it does, and more fracturing means more work for devs.

3 Likes

Is wayland involving more of the custom licensing?
If so, will there be any distro to use that won’t be affected by wayland?

1 Like

Try xrandr. If you get an output containing Xwayland you are on wayland.

1 Like
Screen 0: minimum 16 x 16, current 2560 x 1440, maximum 32767 x 32767
XWAYLAND0 connected 2560x1440+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 550mm x 310mm
   2560x1440     59.91*+

:grinning:

Well, if you just want to know, if you’re running on Wayland or X, just check the appropriate environment variable:
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Being on gnome, you could also just check (gnome) settings -> info. Look for the line that reads “window manager”

1 Like

All good - Thanks! :+1:
If there are no serious problems with GNOME, I will sit back and enjoy the further development :wink:

1 Like

i find it big they say zero development to Wayland… :slight_smile: for that they have to transform to GTK3 , and a part of the xfce users are mayby also not happy to the transformation to csd…thats a step towarts wayland basicly… and they do it now with smaller steps and hopefully they can atract more developers on the way =-)

sure they say Xorg is abonnen ware but a jump to wayland will abon also lot of software…; dont think average linux happy with it if had linux software ecology is death :wink:

major distro’s are pushing wayland for development they working on it but stil need time. edge and stability is not the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

currently wayland runs on xorg as a layer above… and another layer xwayland over that for xorg based programmes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

These articles showed up four years ago also, saying Xorg is outdated and a mess, somehow four years later, the main DEs and distros didn’t switch entirely to Wayland, so to call Xorg abandonware is still a personal point of view and not entirely based on solid facts.

Wayland has come a long way, but it still has a long way in front of it to be called the golden standard in Linux. (My point of view, ofcourse… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

9 Likes

I heard of security issues in the Xorg display servers compared to Wayland. I found this article that explains it.

2 Likes

Personal, current wayland has no different security issue…but thats a opinion, unless wayland goes 100,% xorg free

4 Likes

But that article is from 2018, and kernel/browser security fixes happen, so if xorg was that bad, it would have received fixes too. Wayland is more IoT-focussed, which could be a reason why it’s being pushed more.

3 Likes

If this is about IoT then i’d rather use pen & paper instead :laughing:

No thx, Skynet :robot:

3 Likes