Install EndeavourOS on Qemu/KVM [WIKI]

Unfortunately it is not showing the drive that i am actually installed onto and i cannot browse to it. I can only see the other drive or the file system of this drive. I don’t know why so i may have to wipe out my other drive to figure it out. So what i’m saying is i can create a virtual pool but it will be on the other drive that has plasma on it. Not what i want to do.

Screenshot_2020-05-05_16-08-03

Edit: If i browse to it i see only the other drives and not the one i’m installed on except for the file system. I already did that and as i said the drive is not showing.

At the bottom left there is the + button. Add the disc from there.

2 Likes

V-box works and i know exactly how to use it so I’ll just stick with that. It shows all the drives and it works.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Looks like sed line are not needed anymore. Just look at edk2 changelog:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk?h=packages/edk2

upgpkg: edk2 202002-9: Using only a single symlink for /usr/share/ovmf for ba…
upgpkg: edk2 202002-8: Switching to non-secure-boot symlinks.

I created a new VM and only bios and non-secure EFI option were available.

2 Likes

I did not see them anyway. So I had to intervene manually even if git mentions it.

1 Like

I admit it’s counterintuitive until you understand what each control is meant to do:
capture-200506-012329

The interface is confusing and non-intuitive, so it needs a bit of effort to understand how it’s supposed to work. I guess that’s what happens when programmers are in charge of a project end to end :slight_smile:

But after you get over the small hurdle it just works great.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is understanding what I’m saying. At the top of the screen on the right it shows your drive 88.38 Gib Free /109.12 Gib in Use. Mine say’s 12.06 Gib Free/10.88 in Use. Same with specailworld83 image it shows his drive which is large. I have a 500 GB m.2 drive. Actually two of them plus other drives. Mine is showing something else and i think it’s my root file system? But when i browse local it only shows my other m.2 drive and my other drives but not the one i’m working from.

I’m assuming you are creating the virtual pool on that drive that it is showing.

Edit: I couldn’t figure out why or how to fix it. I have no issue with v-box but i like to try other things to see if it’s better.

@nate
Do i need the this stuff sudo pacman -S spice spice-gtk spice-protocol spice-vdagent qemu-guest-agent?

i only have these installed:
capture-200506-022530
I guess the rest are for linux guest.

1 Like

not sure where you’re stuck
capture-200506-022911

In fact you don’t need all that, you can just do this:
capture-200506-023628

Where did this screen come from?

Edit: I wiped all my installations out and started with an Xfce install on one m.2 drive. So it was either the v-box installation or the two drives? Because now it sees the drive properly!

Screenshot_2020-05-05_19-59-40

So you’re good now?

Okay so for whatever reason the drive wasn’t showing up. They are 2 m.2 drives on PCi-e 4.0 so could be a software or hardware related issue. Frustrating to say the least when stuff doesn’t work right. :unamused:

So it tried it but in my opinion i like v-box better for me anyway. It goes full screen perfectly as if it’s an installed system. I got some Radeon issues with graphics also. It’s okay… it’s pretty good but I’m not sold on it. V-box is easier for me not that it also doesn’t have some quirks. Thanks for the help. I like to try other things once in a while. Sometimes i leave things for a while and come back and try it again. Well see!

You had to do this. Package was updated after you published your video.

@nate
I have Qemu working properly and i installed it on Plasma. Definitely something was messed up because i tried it a number of times and it just didn’t see the drive. Wiping everything out and reinstalling the OS now allows it to work properly. It is different than v-box because when you set the resolution to the monitor size it has scroll on the desktop until you go to full screen.

I used vmware workstation for years on Windows and i use v-box so it’s not like i don’t know how it’s supposed to work. But it is different. It’s starting to grow on me once i get used to getting around it’s settings. :partying_face:

1 Like

if you got a hybrid , with qemu is cool to use Gpu passthrough :slight_smile:

Great to hear you have had success.
I must confess it was a frustrating experience for me too until i got it working and understood how it works.
There is this you can play with:
Screenshot_2020-05-07_02-39-30
but i’m only using this in OSX.
Windows guest just needs this installed and you are good to go, resolution resizes to window size: https://www.spice-space.org/download.html

Auto resize VM with window is greyed out on mine on linux. I have Windows installed on another SSD. So I’m only using the vm for linux distro’s and i have it installed on EndeaourOS Plasma.

The frustrating part was the fact that it shouldn’t have been a problem because there was no issue with anything. When it installed, it just wouldn’t see the drive properly and i don’t know why because i did install it correctly.

You will have to install the spice agent on the guest if it’s linux guest:
spice-vdagent and qemu-guest-agent
It’s the equivalent of virtual box guest additions.

Have you tried boot direct from kernel? Not sure how…to set it on linux.

Screenshot_20200506_200014