General Tips & Advice For New Users

Hello there. I’m a new user, having switched to EndeavourOS from Manjaro XFCE less than 24 hours ago. I’m currently running the i3 version of EndeavourOS and loving it so far.

My Linux journey is a bit unconventional. I started out with Ubuntu but switched to Manjaro only after days of using Ubuntu. My experience with Manjaro isn’t bad in particular (I’ve never broken the system or anything during the one year I’ve used it), but after finding about the Manjaro team forgetting to renew their security certificates, I decided it was time to give another distro a go. After a bit of research, EndeavourOS seemed like the most logical choice. I even decided to give tiling window managers a go.

So. It’d be really nice if y’all experienced users out there could share some of your Linux experience as well as some general tips and advice that would benefit beginners.

How do we avoid breaking our system? What’s the thing about EndeavourOS that you enjoy the most? What Linux distro did you use before switching to EOS?

Cheers.

2 Likes

I’m no Manjaro fan by any stretch, but their most recent certificate issue, while foolish and 100% avoidable, got blown out of proportion by many in the Linux community that latch onto any negativity whenever they can and run with it. There’s plenty of other discussions here about Manjaro, so I’ll just leave it at that.

One of the most important things to remember is that it’s your system, so use it however you like and don’t worry so much about what others might think. I use Gnome, some prefer KDE or a WM, but we all use it how we like and that is all okay. Also, respectful and friendly behavior goes a long way here.

I’ve been all over the place from Ubuntu, Fedora, PopOS, Solus, Manjaro, openSUSE, and EndeavourOS. there’s nothing wrong with staying on one or trying new ones out, just do whatever works best for you. I’ve never tried window managers much, but plenty of other users here could help you with that. It helps to have specific questions in mind when you need support, otherwise it’s a lot harder for people to help when they have to guess around things.

One thing I really must stress, EndeavourOS is not beginner friendly. While the devs make the install user friendly that anyone could install it, to update, maintain, and use your system requires a lot of reading (EndeavourOS wiki, Arch wiki, etc). It also requires that you have a desire and a willingness to learn how your system works. The EndeavourOS community is friendly to all, beginner or expert, so feel free to ask when you run into problems. Just remember to search your problem first before posting so that eliminates duplicate threads.

Never run partial updates. Always stay up to date, daily, weekly, or bi-weekly updating is fine. Read the Arch Linux News page. Also check this forum too before updating if you’re at all uncomfortable. Try to stick with the linux-lts kernel as it’s the least likely to cause issues. Only use linux kernel if you have newer hardware.

Most users, including myself will say they like that EndeavourOS is very close to Arch, it’s easy installation, and most importantly it’s awesome and supportive community that really sets it apart from other distros.

And lastly, I was dual booting PopOS and Solus for a while before I wanted to go to the bleeding edge which brought me to EndeavourOS. If you have any issues here, feel free to open a new thread, always provide as much information and logs if you can and always be patient with others since we all come here to help out on our free time to volunteer and help out in whatever ways we can. I’ll try to add some helpful links, but I bet a dozen other users here will soon offer even better tips than I ever could. And welcome to the purple side! :enos:

6 Likes

Update consistently since it’s a rolling release distro, once a week should do it.

sudo pacman -Syu

You can also use

yay

But note yay will also update your AUR packages.

If you can, install software from the arch repo. If necessary, additional software can be found in the AUR. Don’t download and install software from random site or from git. Flatpak work but most packages can be found on the AUR anyways.

I would learn essential package management on pacman first. Like updating system, searching packages, etc.

If you can avoid Nvidia, avoid it. It’s just a pain especially hybrid cards.

Check the forum. Most problems can actually be fixed and you get help. If seeking help, make sure to post hardware infos, systems logs etc. You can click the top right help button and select log tool for more infos.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

Couple of useful links:

Welcome to this community and forum! :grin:

Edit: i3wm is the best for sure :innocent:

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Indeed, I’m aware of this tendency for people to latch onto negativity. There has also been a good amount of distro-bashing all over the linux community as well. But I suppose that’s just human nature.

Thank you for the reminder. I chose endeavour because I want to learn, and from your description, it seems like I have made the right choice :grinning:.

[quote=“Scotty_Trees, post:2, topic:31545”]

That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

These should get you started on how this forum generally conducts itself and how help can be found almost anywhere. Enjoy reading and if you like certain threads, you can always bookmark them for later use.

6 Likes

Welcome @anthony93, pretty much follow whats being advised above

2 Likes

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

Indeed. I generally try to avoid AUR packages - a habit I have built from my one-year experience with Manjaro.

Noted. Though I do install one or two software from git - mainly plugins for Neovim. I don’t use snaps or flatpaks also.

Definitely. When I was using Manjaro, I only use pacman as my package manager. In fact, I uninstalled pamac right after I ditched VSCode in favor of Neovim (I only use pamac because visual-studio-code-bin was only available in the aur, since I no longer use vscode, I no longer have a reason to use pamac)

I’m typing this from a Thinkpad with an NVIDIA card, though I’m grateful I had the foresight to only use open-source drivers :rofl:

Noted. Thanks for the tip!

These links are helpful indeed.

I’m still trying to familiarize myself with it. Currently going through the user manual and trying to customize my config.

3 Likes

Hi. Wow. This forum certainly knows a thing or two about making people feel welcomed. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope to learn more about linux here.

This helped getting started with my config file, starting from scratch. The eos themed config is so nice, I would probably not start from scratch but could be done in a VM.

1 Like

Welcome @anthony93

Don’t try to over configure things. Just use it. Learn about packages before you want to install something. The i3 set up on EndeavourOS is very good. I don’t know why some people want to mess with that. Just keep your system updated within a reasonable time frame.

Follow the forum and peruse the wiki. Use the tools that are available on EndeavourOS to help you learn. Ask for help when needed.

I came from Antergos, Manjaro, and Arch. Been here from the beginning. I only know that EndeavourOS just works.

Edit: I use KDE btw! :wink:

8 Likes

@Zircon34 I will check out this video right after I finish going through the user manual. Thank you for posting.

Hahaha. This advice is so relevant, at least in my case. I’m a tinkerer, but it helps to be reminded of the old adage - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I agree. When I installed i3, I thought I had my work cut out for me, but that wasn’t the case at all. The endeavour os theme looked very nice and modern.

That is certainly nice to know!

In this case then I would suggest running a VM as well to test out different things before applying them to your system.

5 Likes

Welcome to :enos:

Personally, I switched to EOS because

But still I think Manjaro is a great distro for new to linux users.

From my ~10 days EOS experience I’d say these 2 things are very important.

• After installing or removing kernels manually, always remember to update grub:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• Always keep your live USB so that if something goes wrong you can chroot to your system & fix it.

(The opinion varies on this but, personally I think for most users it’s better to use LTS-Kernel.)

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @anthony93 :enos: :enos_flag: :partying_face:

1 Like

Hi @anthony93,

Welcome to the purple universe :enos_flag: :enos: :penguin_face: :rocketa_purple:

1 Like

Hello @anthony93,

Welcome to Endeavour and have fun
:vulcan_salute:

2 Likes