General Tips & Advice For New Users

@shuvashish76 Thank you for all the helpful tips. I heeded your advice and switched to an LTS-kernel as well, at least until I gain a little bit more experience.

1 Like

Welcome to the purple side!
I’ve recently returned to EOS and I have to say I’ll be around for good this time.

A few things I’ve learned the hard way about Arch and the likes:

• It really helps to read thoroughly before rushing into changes. Understand why you’re doing something before you do it and what the mechanisms are behind what you’re doing.
  • Take notes! There will come a time when you make a change and it doesn’t provide the desired outcome. If you keep going before reversing the changes, you’ll likely forget them. It’s a good way to end up borking your setup. I’m pretty guilty of not following this though, so your mileage may vary.
  • It’s all good fun, at the end of the day :smiley:

It’s great to have you on board!

3 Likes

Hello! Thank you!

Today is day 5 since I installed Endeavour OS, and I have to say I have learned more about Linux than the time I was using Manjaro and Ubuntu combined!

Configuring i3 does take some time. Tons of manuals and documentation to go over, but I’d like to believe that the effort is worth it.

2 Likes

I hope OP doesn’t mind if I hijack this thread but I have a question and I think it’s not worth opening a topic for this.

So, when you update your AUR packages with yay you are asked if you want to cleanbuild or not. I still don’t really know what that means. When you search the net you find a lot of “I think”, " I guess" and “I’ve heard”.

Can anyone explain pls?

Your habit is a maladaptaion, brought upon by the fact that the AUR is broken on Manjaro, due to their repo updates being delayed. So pretty much every package built and installed from the AUR on Manjaro is a partial update situation.

You will notice no such issues with EndeavourOS, so you may safely drop your habit.

3 Likes

Clean building a package means deleting everything in the cache, downloading everything needed to build the package, and then building the package – as it would be done the first time you installed the package.

Not doing so means reusing some of the old files from the cache, in order to save on download bandwidth. Normally, you don’t have to clean-build a package, but if errors arise, you should try that before doing any other troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Thx Kresimir!

I think the terminology is a bit confusing here 'cause it implies that there’s a difference in the build process itself, which (according to your explanation) doesn’t seem to be the case. I mean, they als could have made it to ask “Re-download build files?” or anything like that.
Anyway, I usually say “no” if it’s just a small version change and “yes” if it’s a bigger one and so far I didn’t have any problems.

Run linux-lts + your favourite kernel - this ensures your system will always boot if there is a kernel bug. I also always have a live USB - for cases like the recent grub bug.

I always keep /home as a separate ext4 partition (even though the rest of my system is btrfs / zfs) - it will always mount. For a stable desktop xfce is a good choice (I’ve run it for 15 years or so) - it lacks some bells & whistles but never crashes.

Use containers for running web services on your system (e.g lxd / podman)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.