Favourite Lesser Known Programs

If only there was a similar tool to replace EA Origin launcher :confused: … Unless there is and I too am living under a rock

2 Likes

I wish! Hopefully one day… :roll_eyes:

Steam, EGS, Origin, Uplay and I’m probably forgetting more big ones that offer exclusives, there’s way too many. Only breath of fresh air is GOG, but even that is uncertain – hoping they’ll stick to their word and keep the current system no matter what.

xsensors

X11 interface to lm_sensors

XSENNSORSSS

9 Likes

Well to be honest I’m okay with Steam (though others on this forum are not) and Uplay doesn’t bother me either. EA/Origin on the other hand :triumph:

5 Likes

Steam is just as awful as any of the others when it comes to privacy or everything else. On top of that, the client feels like it’s on life support. Though the value in Steam is that Valve contributes a lot to the FOSS gaming community. – None of the other clients have any real value, besides handing out games to get their grubby little hands on more people.

Agree with them or not, they’re here and unfortunately the standard of distributing games for now.

@keybreak not when it comes to multiplayer or mods sometimes though :rofl:

3 Likes

Downloaded…but this will need an alias, how on earth can someone remember this name?

1 Like

It’s easy for me. It’s BashTop with PYthon. So it’s bpytop.

3 Likes

I have KDE Connect for that :hugs:

2 Likes

For music lovers who want to have their own local library: Deemix-pyweb.
It’s the continuation of Deezloader-Remix, no more maintained. It’s open-source, used mainly to locally download songs from the Deezer streaming catalogue - (And there are options to use Spotify in the setting tab but I didn’t check those).
I use it to locally download music in FLAC format. (you can select your bitrate).
It’s in the AUR.
Webpage is here: https://deemix.app/. From there select the “pyweb” option.

4 Likes

Flameshot is what I use for screen captures. It’s the best one out there IMO. and it’s in the official repos.
https://flameshot.js.org/#/

4 Likes
deepin-screenshot

Is miles ahead better implementation of same idea (comes with all usual Deepin caveats though…)

1 Like

Yeah, flameshot is fantastic. I have never seen a screenshot tool for any platform that is better for my needs.

2 Likes

Same here, I discovered it by @FLVAL

Fully agree! Best snapshoter I have seen so far. And it looks like development is being picked up again after the original developer abandoned it.

1 Like

WPS Warning !
Just thought I’d give a heads-up to ALL ! Years ago , I came accross WPS when Distro hoppin . One of the Distro’s had it installed by default . Anyway at that time I researched more about WPS . At the time it was popular as it handled most Win files . There’s a free and paid version . The Free Version collects data !
Not sure about paid version . Free Version still the same , as it’s still in there Privacy Policy . LINK is below , so you can read for yourselves …
( https://www.wps.com/privacy-policy ) .

9 Likes

Love Flameshot, ever since I found it it’s the 1st thing I install post OS entry.

1 Like

WPS Warning !
Just thought I’d give a heads-up to ALL ! Years ago , I came accross WPS when Distro hoppin . One of the Distro’s had it installed by default . Anyway at that time I researched more about WPS . At the time it was popular as it handled most Win files . There’s a free and paid version . The Free Version collects data !
Not sure about paid version . Free Version still the same , as it’s still in there Privacy Policy . LINK is below , so you can read for yourselves …
( https://www.wps.com/privacy-policy ) .

Well crap…

• Your devices or software data, such as your Internet Protocol (“ IP ”) address, device identifier, region and language settings, Network provider, network settings and status, operating system, device storage, Android ID, Mobile advertising identifiers, such as iOS IDFAs and Android Advertising IDs (collectively, “Mobile IDs”), User Agent and HDID, browser or Apps that you have installed, mobile websites that you have interacted with, and how you interact with them, including whether and how you interact with ads (including time-stamp information);

• Your operation data, such as the aggregate number of time, frequency and activity of your use of our Services, and when you use contact management functions or interact with other persons or institutions through our Services, we may collect data relating to your contacts and your relationship with such contacts, we may also collect Information about ads served, viewed, or clicked on, such as the type of ad, where the ad was served, whether you clicked on it, and whether you visited the advertiser’s website or downloaded the advertiser’s app;

• The metadata shared by you, such as shooting, uploaded sharing photos or videos, as well as exact date, time, place, and other data stored when using our Services.

6 Likes

Hi keybreak,

Do you know if it supports calculated fields for pivot tables and has slicer support (pivot tables again)?

Brighness controller . Package name brightness-controller-git

here it goes : brightness-controller-git

brightness-controller-git

https://github.com/LordAmit/Brightness
2 Likes

Yep

Not sure what exactly you mean, better check for yourself :slight_smile:

At least for “complex” docs that i have with calculations etc - it seems to work as intended, but if you’ll test yours (which you know how they should work) would be cool, and if it not - you can just remove it and report here :yum:

1 Like