Favourite Lesser Known Programs

I used to use it and did love it. Until TWICE the sync feature literally destroyed my notes.

What alternative app you’re using now?

Many thanks

Not exactly apples to apples, but I’m just using org-roam in Emacs. And loving it.

Difftastic

cli side-by-side file visual diff.

GitHub

honka_animated-128px-35

5 Likes

a nice simple printout to the screen with difftastic, thanks.

This may be a no brainer for everyone but I am not sure how much it is used: have your tried meld?

2 Likes

Meld - using it daily, it’s my goto diff :clown_face:

3 Likes

We prefer it in the config of the eos-pacdiff app. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use meld everyday. Not only in the welcome window, but also to check if I need to update the github aarch64 repository. I have a script that reads the contents of the github x86_64 repo, and reads the contents of the github aarch64 repo then use meld to compare the two and see if @manuel updated any of the EndeavourOS apps. If so, I update the aarch64 repo to match.

Pudge

2 Likes

LOL got into creating VST2 instruments again with Synthedit. It’s because I have this idea for a largely-useless wavetable oscillator that could play rhythms if the keys played were low enough. Before this program, the only good alternative with the user’s own samples was Viena but it was buggy and difficult to get into. Note that was “Viena” with one “n” and not the E-MU program that required their hardware IINM.

SoundFont creation could be tedious but this Polyphone makes it ridiculously easy. If I moved up to the later releases of Synthedit (for 64-bit VST3 but buggier and more resource-hungry) I could have opted for SFZ playback which is better, only samples joined by a text-file description instead of a monolithic soundware format.

I created a 32-bit installation only to run my registered copy of Synthedit from over 12 years back. Not this distribution LOL.

EDIT: despite the somewhat misleading description in the box just above, an SFZ file is only a text file which has to be a specific format, it does not have “binary blobs” or anything like that. The description always references usually WAV samples on disk which are kept separate. This format was “founded” by a plug-in called SFZ created by RGC Audio. That was the freeware version, and another called SFZ+ used to be sold by Cakewalk company from New England (before it was taken over).

2 Likes

That is not a program. Anyways, tilda is a very good drop down terminal.

I was using tilda during my DE-hopping days, until I settled with XFCE and realised xfce terminal has a dropdown functionality built-in. I’ve been using it for years now, it works great.

3 Likes

xfce terminal has a dropdown functionality built-in.

WHAT?! I wish I knew this back when I used XFCE, couldn’t stand the default taskbar & Docklike Plugin’s bugginess, and DockBarX stopped working. I now use Cinnamon.

Zeal - offline documentation for developers. Mainly use it as backup cheat-sheet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Should have flagged the post right after the previous one I made. Keep that in “Jokes” topic please, that’s where many people (including myself) expect the NSFW stuff. Going OT also but only for this warning.

EDIT: I’ve also posted in the wrong topic. Was supposed to be this one:
(What application have you recently discovered?)

1 Like

Haha yes, I had two tabs open and dragged it in the wrong one… Sorry guys :wink:

Fastfetch as opposed to Neofetch.

It’s noticably faster and has fewer dependencies. Not the most “crucial” app, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Saber, a cross platform note taking program (written in Flutter) that supports sync.

An appimage is available at https://github.com/adil192/saber. Flatpak and snaps are available too.

It would be great if someone makes an AUR package for it.

2 Likes

LibreSprite

A very nice, free (GPLv2) drawing program, designed specifically with pixel art in mind. Supports animation (with onion skinning), custom palettes and a very intuitive interface. Reminds me very much of old drawing applications on Amiga like Deluxe Paint. Simple, but powerful.

Source code:

AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libresprite

8 Likes

Carbonyl is a Chromium based browser built to run in a terminal.

Github & AUR

1 Like