EOS KDE is superb

I had bad experience with Manjaro KDE since Plasma 5.20, so I stopped using KDE for many months. Today I tried EOS KDE on my new laptop and everything went smoothly. It’s just superb!

Screenshot_20210716_232421

20 Likes

See…i told you it would be awesome. You have good specs on a nice machine. I like it!

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s not bad…

1 Like

At least the scaling works perfectly with Plasma. I tried GNOME today because I’m basically open to new things. But the scaling is a horror. Some programs move with it, others don’t give a shit what I set. Plasma ftw …

Gobble gobble!

1 Like

What would you think of an option for PLASMA minimal?
I am currently thinking about an install option with a minimum of packages fro a basic plasma Desktop:

- plasma-desktop
    - kinfocenter
    - konsole
    - dolphin
    - plasma-nm
    - kscreen
    - powerdevil
    - sddm
    - sddm-kcm
    - python-dbus
    - kio-fuse
    - kio-gdrive
    - audiocd-kio
    - ark
    - spectacle
    - kdiff3
    - kate
    - plasma-pa
6 Likes

When I installed Arch KDE, I started with

xorg
plasma
kde-applications
packagekit-qt5

https://archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/plasma/ —> 46 packages
https://archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/kde-applications/ —> 343 packages

My list is looking longer but does not have groups :wink:

3 Likes

I also suggest:

plasma-disks

This is a very small addition for kinfocenter, but could actually save some lifes :slight_smile:
It’s notification (S.M.A.R.T. based) for disks that are having their last days on this planet :sleeping:

P.S. Also that’s personal opinion, but kdiff3 really sucks compared to meld, which is a shame really :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

It’s actually more than that. After I got into Arch KDE UI, I installed a lot more with Discover which uses packagekit-qt5. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyway, I never go that slim with Linux desktop installation. Isn’t XFCE better for the purpose?

I’m just wondering… What issues did you encounter with Manjaro KDE Plasma 5.20? How is EOS KDE Plasma different?

No. There was a time when XFCE used less resources than KDE Plasma, but those days are over. Nowadays, KDE is optimised and much leaner than it used to be.

In my opinion, KDE is the best candidate for making a fairly minimalist desktop (not counting only WMs without desktop environments, of course).

sddm is a dependency of sddm-kcm, it does not need to be on the list.

1 Like

I’d suggest spectacle

we need this for pacdiff tool …

it is in the list :wink:

good addition yes!

1 Like

good point…

Huh, it’s hard dependency?

Wonderful interface, I like it. That dock looks really good at the bottom.

another idea is to simply only have minimal plasma at installer… as netinstall is causing issues with bad connections and this even get more if we want to speed up install process with pacman parallel downloads. So following a more minimal approach on the amount of packages would help a lot.

And with a community keep on tracking changes that could need adding removing packages from the list is something we see already here, and makes it easy to maintaining such a setup. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks. The dock is the latest Latte.

1 Like