EndeavourOS community, you are incredibly awesome!

Originally published at: https://endeavouros.com/news/endeavouros-community-you-are-incredibly-awesome/

love

At this moment we live in a shaken up world and its effects are brutally visible, whether it is in front of your doorstep, in your own home, at work or on the news. Don’t worry, I’m not going to bring you our view on the state of the world, that isn’t our intention. After all, we’re a Linux distro where everybody is welcome from several walks of life.

No, the reason for my somewhat doom and gloom intro has all to do with something we as devs of this distro already knew, but it has reached far beyond the Endeavour realms. I’m talking about our booster rockets and fuel tank that keeps Endeavour orbiting in the Linux universe: Our incredible community…

Only a year ago, Joe, Fernando, Manuel and I were figuring out how to develop the platform Endeavour was going to use. With that all sorts of questions and doubts surrounding it.

Will we achieve our goals? Or will the community stick with us? Or how are we going to achieve the community to donate?

Those questions and fears turned out to be irrational, in fact, you’ve exceeded our expectations. Not in our wildest dreams, we didn’t expect the community to be this loyal and day-in and day-out effortlessly helping newbies and each other with every single issue in a matter that only can be described as a warm ball of endless energy and love, especially in times like these.

We’ve welcomed quite a number of new members and lately our donations are increasing. The latter has ensured our infrastructure future for at least a year and it gives us the possibilities to look into offering fun things like stickers, mugs and other of those kind of things.

We possibly cannot express our gratitude and love for the effort and energy, you all provide us on a daily bases, simply because no word in any language in the world covers our feelings for you, so…

Thank you, Dank je wel, Danke, Takk, Obrigado, Gracias, Merci, Grazie, Спасибо, Dziękuję, Kiitos, σε ευχαριστώ and Mulţumesc.

You are incredibly awesome and we have the utmost respect for you all, only for being that.

24 Likes

Hi, from India!
I was sorta confused seeing all those words in the picture, which I didn’t understand. Then I read ‘piyar’, which would be ‘love’ in hindi language. And that was the ‘aha’ moment!
Hoping that EOS goes on to become very popular. Thanks for this cool distro :smile:

9 Likes

You guys set a really good example

I’ve see some forums with hostile devs and the community seems to follow suit

10 Likes

In my opinion, as I have stated repeatedly elsewhere on this forum, the members here make this the very best Linux forum I have ever experienced in over twelve years of using GNU/Linux distributions.

I have never received a “snarky” answer to any question I have ever asked here. I have received only genuinely helpful responses from people who genuinely want to help and for that I can only express my sincere gratitude.

I installed EndeavourOS on all of our computers (with only one exception) in August 2019 and neither my wife nor I have any plans to replace it or to even try any other distro.

THANK YOU to the developers and to the forum members (all of you).

Lawrence

10 Likes

Thanks for all the devs. I was little hesitant when I decided to install EndeavourOS this week, replacing my Manjaro install.

I have gotten few good tips in the Telegram group and now I am learning i3, which I thought I would never ever want to use. It’s still a rocky road ahead and lot of learning by making config mistakes :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes
2 Likes

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/communaute-endeavouros-vous-etes-incroyablement-geniale/5271

:smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you devs! You planted the seed, to make us grow.

I didn’t find the Swedish word at first, but then I realised that “Alska” probably was the Swedish word “Älska” as in “Att älska” = “To love”. It should have been “Kärlek” = “Love”, but hey, I get the drift. :wink: :grin:

5 Likes

The Finnish word “Rakkaus” was exactly correct. :smile:

3 Likes

Yesterday I replaced a years-old functioning vanilla Arch + Plasma, with an online install of Endeavour + the same, and I compared it and the Calamares installer against the old Antergos online routine and found it much more effective. Other than a few installed SystemD presets, I found it a very good replacement for Antergos and a competent replacement for the “vanilla” Arch installs I’ve done in the past.

I’m getting on in age and was looking for a future something-something more OOTB than Arch, but not as hand-holding as Manjaro. I think I’ll keep this for a while. :wink:

Thank you to the Endeavour developers, maintainers, community members and all the behind-the-scenes minions for making it so. :smiley:

Best Regards

14 Likes

I think the reason why this forum does so well in treating each other with respect, is because we who are here, have all been on other OS forums where you are not felt welcomed at all. And I suspect that boils down to the ‘set atmosphere’ that was created either from the beginning or from some major incident(s) on the forums. And once that ‘poison’ gets into a forum, and begins to make its way through - it is very hard to get rid of entirely.

To all of you who set up this forum and/or OS - my unending gratitude is given to you. Yeah I’ve made a few blunders along the way on the forums here. But I’m willing to learn from my mistakes from everyone here. Because I know that the advise given will not be hostile nor will it belittle my character.

From a grateful Canadian user.

10 Likes

The Thai word for love: รัก

I’ve been very grateful to the patience of the users and the how engaged the devs are with supporting people asking what must seem like stupid questions to them.

3 Likes

That’s just because you Canadians are so damn nice. :smiley:

~ from your former Alaskan neighbor

5 Likes

:rofl: Yeah you nailed us! :+1:

3 Likes

It can be briefly and concisely described in two words: friendly and helpful.

Köszönöm. A Hungarian user.

5 Likes

There really are a couple of nice Canadian users here, as well as many other countries.

4 Likes

I just installed Endeavour coming from Manjaro. I just love something more close then Arch. I have installed Arch already a year ago, but I did not like go through the wiki everytime installing Arch, because I have multiple systems. With Endeavour I have something closer to arch.

Installed pamac with flatpak and snap (dont use snap, unless there is a package I just need and only is on snap) and everything works.

9 Likes

Welcome :hugs:

3 Likes

Hello nigelwarning! :grinning:

1 Like

How did you do that?

1 Like