Buying new laptop, need help

Hi all,

I am buying new laptop. There are lot of them, but I dont want to buy a wrong one :slight_smile:

Mostly I am using Linux and sometimes Windows.
I will use them as my private laptop, for small gaming (only Football manager 2022) and I am soon starting my education for front end developer so I need some good, fast laptop.

My criteria:

• not so heavy, bulky
  • 13 inch to 15 inch
  • 16 GB ram
  • great keyboard and touchpad
  • decent display

I found few of them :
Lenovo Yoga Slim 7
Asus Vivobook pro 15
Asus Vivobook S14

Any other suggestions ?
Is AMD cpu better than Intel ?
Also anyone bought laptop from Amazon ? I dont have experience with that. But I found that that is cheaper around 200-300 EUR than in my local laptop stores :slight_smile:

They all have great specs and all of them meet your use case, although the Yoga Slim 7 and the Vivobook S14 stand out more because of the Ryzen 7 APU.

All three have upgradable Nvme but the RAM is soldered, although I think we have to accept that for any laptop in that price range these days, so I guess you have to decide for yourself if that is an important feature.

I would suggest dropping the Vivobook pro, because of the Nvidia card and the CPU. I’m not sure if the issue with AMD/Nvidia combo is solved at the moment, but other than that, it has the “weakest CPU” of the three, although Ryzen 5 is still very powerful.

As for the two remaining models, it depends on what you think is more important for you. If storage has priority, go for the Yoga, if the screen aspect ratio is more important, go for the Vivobook S14. A 16:10 screen is more efficient if you don’t have an external monitor.

Both models have received good reviews and to answer your other two questions:
AMD is great in power and more energy efficient than Intel, although the latest Intel gen comes close.
As for Amazon, I have very good experience ordering electronics from them, but you might check the Lenovo site first if you go for the Yoga, they have very often attractive deals going on.

5 Likes

wow thanks :slight_smile:

So best way is to go with AMD cpu/gpu combo ?
Before I had 6 GB of RAM, so I think that 16 GB would be enough :wink:

Storage is not so important for me, I have external disk just in case. Mostly all of my stuff are online xD

1 Like

The other two models have integrated graphics, AMD or Intel, those work out of the box on Linux with good performances if you’re not an avid gamer or video editor.
The Ryzen 7 has a very good and solid Graphics performance, though.

2 Likes

Welcome back.
Well, @Bryanpwo helped me a lot as I was having the same question 2 days ago.
You may have a look at Ryzen Process

Have a look at the 2 links in my last post I hope they might be useful.

Good luck.

1 Like

I checked it.

And now I am even more confused. I also want “replaceable” battery, option to upgrade RAM etc …
After all, I want my custom made laptop :slight_smile:

I have an LG GRAM 16, and I like it a lot. Especially, it weights 1.2 kg and it’s 16 laptop. You can find the specs online. Mine is an i7, 16gb, 512nvme.

1 Like

Here is a caveat for the Yoga slim but Intel version, probably the same for amd.

Edit: you can set it up with hibernate though.

1 Like

Great specs and looks nice. But hard to get it here, also it is a bit pricey :slight_smile:

Your budget?

Hm…1100-1200 EUR, if less than that better :slight_smile:

If looking at Lenovo, here in the USA they have an outlet/refurbished store. I got my Thinkpad for like half off new. And just a few weeks ago got a legion 5 with Ryzen 7 and AMD GPU for about $1000

They must have a euro site too.

2 Likes

Yes, I found some outlet stores in my country.

Still searching for best options

We came ftom different backgrounds and have diferrentt views.
When one commits to spend that amount of money, usually it is about getting the best bang for the buck.

Now, for the repairing/upgrading point of view, neither models are a good choice. Soldered RAM for that price should be (and it still is) unacceptable.

There are second hand Thinkpads (T,W,X) who can easily fit in your criteria.
Have you considered a Framework laptop?

Perhaps:

3 Likes

One of the 2 links in my latest post there https://www.ifixit.com/laptop-repairability?sort=score
they give ranks to laptops on how upgradable and easy maintenance (The higher the better).
But I am sure that’s not all. They list what they tested only!

I am sure other friends here can add more about this point.

(I have been bit -as in the other thread- with a wonderful HP X360, but I needed just to replace the camera and attend to no sound in 3.5mm ear phones, ended up both will cost me the price of the same laptop brand new as the camera is part of the screen - so need a new screen- and 3.5 mm is part of the mother board so need a new mother board!)

1 Like

If it is something good and worthy to spend more, I will pay more.
Like you said, all of those laptops have soldered RAM, and yes it is unacceptable.

I just put those 3 type of laptops as a example, if anyone have something else to consider , I will look :slight_smile:

Framework laptops- not available in my country :frowning:

Thanks…
I heard about Tuxedo, but never saw it :slight_smile:

Is it good ?

2 Likes

I configured this from Tuxedo :

• Full-HD (1920 x 1080) IPS-Panel non-glare
  • 32 GB (2x 16GB) 3200MHz CL22 Samsung ( +129,20 EUR)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700U (max. 4.3GHz Octa-Core, 16 Threads, 12 MB Cache, 15 W TDP)
  • 500 GB Samsung 980 PRO (NVMe PCIe 4.0) ( +68,28 EUR)
  • ENGLISH US ISO (EN-US international) with backlit with TUX super-key
  • without UMTS / LTE module
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 & Bluetooth 5.2 (up to 2400Mbps)
  • TUXEDO OS 22.04 LTS (recommended)
  • without Windows
  • 2 years warranty (Incl. parts, labour & shipping)

I am only worried about build quality, and those IPS screen . Compared to Yoga slim : 2.8K (2880x1800) 16:10 OLED display with 100% DCI-P3 color space coverage, 90Hz, HDR500 TureBlack and Dolby Vision

1 Like