Ryzen Process

I am about to get myself a new laptop. (the other one is not even worth recycling)
As always -as part of this community- I prefer to ask the experts, before I make a serious decision.

I am almost settled on

Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ADA6 15.6 Inch FHD Display AMD RYZEN 5 3500U 8GB RAM 512GB SSD AMD Radeon

OR

HP ProBook 640 G2 Laptop With 14-Inch Display, Core i5 Processor/8GB RAM/256GB SDD/Intel HD Graphics 520

My humble knowledge that Intel stuff is like the default and most compatible, but long time ago things went fine with AMD. But I am not sure about the new to me Ryzen.

My use case:

• The above new laptop will be my daily use.
  • Just simple home day to day use (browsing, reading PDF, maybe listening some music, sometimes LibreOffice, some note taking… watch a video)
  • I will be installing Resilio Sync (to have my personal cloud storage and data backup - this old laptop and the new one)
  • This 10 years old laptop will be somewhere as part of my personal cloud, has Resilio Sync.

My main concerns and priorities for the new laptop in order:
0- I prefer to run LTS Kerenel (don’t mind current Kernel) and KDE Plasma.
1- Compatibility with EndeavourOS (preferably out of the box)
2- Reliability and long life expected for the machine.
3- Performance (I expect performance will be of course much better than this 10 years old laptop anyway)

What you think? which one I better order?

Thank you very much for your inputs.

In this case and this has got nothing to do with the CPU, I would go for the HP one. The build quality difference between the two of them is huge.

I am a big Lenovo fan, but Lenovo tends to use inferior quality chassis and screens on their IdeaPad 3 line. To be fair, it is the low-entry line. Also, the screens they use on the 15" models are a bit lacklustre i.c.w. what they use on their 14" or 16" laptops.
If you considered an IdeaPad 5 series, then the comparison would hold better.

Linux will run without a hitch on both models.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @Bryanpwo
So, I will consider HP, but hopefully I find a bit larger screen.

1 Like

BTW, I have an IdeaPad 5 14" with Ryzen 5 running over here and when I installed EndeavourOS on it, every single feature ran out of the box without tweaking. (Quickstart, keyboard backlight etc.)

1 Like

OK. So both seem OK.
Well, I will search deeper and decide, (though I tend now to prefer HP). I will research more and see which one for my use case. Maybe a little trip to the mall and see both physically first.

1 Like

I agree with @Bryanpwo here, the HP ProBook should have better build quality and support.
The downside is the smaller SSD but it’s usually cheap and easy to upgrade.
But in general both machines should be more than capable for your usecase.
But if you plan on holding on to the laptop for a longer period of time it’s maybe also worth to check if the RAM can be upgraded/replaced. Yes, 8 Gigs are sufficient for your usecase but still, having the option to upgrade is always nice!

I guess it has a CD/DVD drive. The question is, do you need the CD/DVD drive?

That’s easy decision, how big memory do you want to choose?

That’s easily and affordably replaceable with an HDD/SSD caddy, I did that on my older ThinkPads and they are now running with two SATA SSDs.

2 Likes

I’d really like a new laptop, but my demands for it make it almost impossible to get one.

What I absolutely need in a laptop is the following:

• easily removable battery (and being able to use the computer when the battery is physically removed)
  • easily removable main HDD/SSD, from the back of the case (i.e. without needing to remove the keyboard, risking breaking those flimsy connectors – talking from experience here :sweat_smile:)
  • case being closed by screws (none of those clips that can easily break, again :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:)
  • no NoVidea graphics
  • at least 17" screen, full European keyboard (with fat enter key) and numeric keypad
  • full Linux compatibility, of course (ideally, open source drivers for everything)

Without that, I’m not even considering a laptop. About a decade ago, that was the norm (apart from the last point). Nowadays, it doesn’t seem to exist… :frowning:

But I’d rather be without a laptop than compromise on these essential features.

If you’re a wealthy gentleman

honka_memes-128px-24

i’d advice you to look at top-tier DELL Precision models, depending on configuration they can cover all of your needs.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look, thanks for the suggestion… I’m not wealthy, but I don’t mind paying a bit more for computers if they are going to last me a long time.

Yes, I knew, but it would lose 2 years warranty after bought new. That depends on markt in your country if it accepts repairing or exchange

1 Like

Well… I think for my use case even 128/256 GB SSD would be enough.
Most of my data are PDFs, Books, research, medical reports. Invoices/warranties… not really movies and music as such (+60 years young man here)

Both are fine for me. (please see my above reply)
What I care about is compatibility and reliability.
Well, I like to squeeze my machines to the maximum possible.
More on this in my next reply!

Then you’ll definitely want a removable battery. Any battery is guaranteed to fail, the more you use it. It’s what you’ll need to be able to replace in a couple of years.

1 Like

Have you heard about Framework Laptop?
It’s possible upgraded or repairable, but it does not offer 17 inch screen.

There is discussion about new design for 17 inch. (I did not read all)

You know what… I “feel” very wealthy and richer and happier than even Bill Gates, he simply can’t use a 10 years old laptop but I can, he needs to install when a new windoze comes out, he is always worried of viruses and such,… he does not have such a community! (at least I am on Linux and EOS in particular… unless he is using Linux himself to be sure things will be going fine :rofl:)

As a matter of principle I don’t like waste! I might be able to get a 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, Convertible, touch screen… etc.

If I am not going to use this fully I would not be happy to spend 10 Dollars for something worth 1000 Dollars if it will not be used. I prefer to give this 10 to charity better than paying for something I won’t use.

For the time being 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM are more than enough I think for 10 years to come or more.

This laptop is 10 years old, I just upgraded RAM from 4GB to 8GB, and added a small 128GB SSD.

It was working even before that, but I thought better upgrade to make life easier.

1 Like

Good point here from @Kresimir !

But looks like they are replacable on both machines.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d love to get a Framework eventually, but no European keyboard with full numpad as far as I can tell and I need that 17" display.

Also, their “thin & light” selling point is the exact opposite of what I find attractive in a laptop. I like 'em thicc & heavy! :wink:

I looked at the link… but… 17" why!

You know what, it just came to my mind, what if I get a high end Raspberry PI, attach “some” of the external USB disks and keep using this laptop for daily use. (I am OK with it for my daily use)

I am just not experienced with Raspberry PI. It would require me some reading and I am sure… some time till I know my way… where to buy, where to get accessories and extra hardware. (maybe find some other use for the Raspberry PI)

1 Like