Books, what are you reading right now?

The order of time is a very good read! Wise choice

I loved it - could just about keep up, enough to be amazed
Not sure how much he writes and where is accepted as true by most of science community tho.
eye opening
Must be great to read in Italian original, you can feel the language in the English translation tho - its a good one.

Well Rovelli is one of the most prominent scientist in is field right now, but well, particols physics always was and always will be a debated field. At least until they unify gravity and relativity I think. But don’t mind me, I’m probably talking up on my a**. I’m not at all an expert, just a very curious enthusiast.

I really liked ‘Seven Brief Lessons on Physics’ as well (amazing that that was originally published in a newspaper supplement - kudos to the Italian readers), and next it will be ‘Reality is not what it seems’.
I also liked ‘How to teach Quantum physics to your Dog’ by Chad Orzel (which I started on and I think is a great entry point) and ‘Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed’ by Jim Al-Khalili

The thing is, I never knew it wasn’t all just about particles really, and had no idea how old the science is and that computers and electronics (as we know them) wouldn’t be here without it, etc etc - the shame of it :smiley:
And finally I think I have found an explanation for what entropy actually is that I can get my head around rather just ‘disorderedness that always increases’ - I think I got it anyway, I felt like the small kid trying to keep up with the bigger kids on a cycle ride for most of those books except for the dog one.

Amazing stuff, anyway

2 Likes

I should suggest to you also QED from Richard Feynman. Very very well written and clear explaining very vast and otherwise difficult topics.

proxy-image

4 Likes

I loved his The Enchantress of Florence, but couldn’t read this one, it didn’t grab me. But that happened at a different age, maybe I’ll give it another try someday.

For some reason I had an urge to reread the Foundation series, so for I just read the first volume the first time. It is just smart dialogue, but it is fascinating.

Now I brought two from a local library: Electric Dreams, by Philip K Dick, and Paterson, by Williams Carlos Williams, after having watched and loved the film Paterson (2016).

38650847.UX75

17978623.UX75

2 Likes
  1. Solaris by Stanslaw Lem

2. Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Both of these books were a similar experience : The main story was fascinating, but the endings were - to me - highly unsatisfying. Instead of a neatly wrapped up ending, or hints dropped to allow the reader to imagine how things ended/continued they just sort of petered out.

2 Likes

I’m reading for 11th time (or so) The Eleventh Commandment, description extracted from official page:

Connor Fitzgerald is the professional’s professional. Holder of the Medal of Honor. Devoted family man. Servant of his country. The CIA’s most deadly weapon.

Great book if you like action and suspense.

Revising the basics :

20220711_100819

1 Like

1151865715-0

Just finished this in audiobook form. It’s clever and hilarious. I enjoyed it so much, I went ahead and got all the other books of Andy Weir and they’re all a lot of fun, but this one is the best. Weir’s recipe includes 30% humour, 60% science and 10% fiction. He varies the percentages with each book.
I even listened to The Martian, even though I’ve seen the movie when it came out.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Looks interesting!

I’m reading for third time this old one:

Did you ever read “The Chancellor Manuscript” by Robert Ludlum.

When first released in 1977 it was fiction.
Today, it could well be a documentary.

Pudge

1 Like

From Robert Ludlum I’ve only read “The Cry of The Halidon” (1974) and I want to get the 3 Bourne books (Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum), I really liked the movies. Also, “The Chancellor Manuscript” seems a good one… let’s try to find all of these.

1 Like

3 Likes

read the german edition
in_africa_screen

Autobiography of a Yogi

Audible - Hindi Edition

2 Likes