Books, what are you reading right now?

Agreed, it’s far more than just a book about running.

2 Likes

I’m reading two at the moment, Foundation by Asimov and the first Dune book by Frank Herbert.

3 Likes

Those two series (Dune trilogy and the Foundation six or seven books) are on my top list of science fiction, and if I think of the books I love the most, those are there as well. From Asimov, I also read, and think about it often, the complete robot stories, a volume compiling his short stories on robots.

3 Likes

So far I have read, in this order IIRC:

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Norwegian Wood

A Wild Sheep Chase

Dance, Dance, Dance

South of the Border, West of the Sun

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle

After Dark

Kafka on the Shore

1Q84 (just Books 1&2)

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

My favorite is probably “Norwegian Wood”, although it’s not a " typical Murakami". It’s his only book I have read twice yet.
I liked “A Wild Sheep Chase” and “Dance, Dance, Dance”, both were fun in a strange, surreal way.
I also liked “Kafka on the Shore” and “The Wind Up Bird Chronicle” a lot. I plan on reread the latter one 'cause there’s a new German translation and everyone says it’s better than the old one.
“Hardboiled Wonderland”, “South of the Border, West of the Sun” and “1Q84” were good, but not among my faves.
“After Dark” I really don’t remember much. Maybe I will reread it some day, it’s a rather short book anyway.
“Colorless Tsukuru” was my least favorite. I had a hard time finishing it tbh.

I have also read “The Elephant Vanishes”, " Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" and “Men Without Women”.

Based on this all, do you think I should read one of the books I didn’t read yet?

1 Like

Didn’t read this one yet but it’s on my list. (Along with about 15-20 other books :crazy_face:)

1 Like

I only just started reading again, it’s been years since I used to read books, but I’ve always missed it. The new Dune movie reignited my passion for books so I created a list of top 50 sci Fi books to read and Foundation and Dune where the top two on that list.

@NX-01 I randomly read Norwegian Wood in the early 2000s and man was it super sad but also super good too, never forget that book that’s for sure!

1 Like

There’s no need, we’ve just begun to living it :clown_face: :earth_africa:
But if you want spoilers you might read still :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s been a few years since I read Sputnik Sweetheart, and I read it back-to-back with Norwegian Wood, so take this with a grain of salt, but both of them felt similar to me, so if you were fond of Norwegian Wood I’d take a chance with Sputnik Sweetheart, iirc it is quite short too so not a big investment of your time.

Seeing as you have read quite a lot of his works I’d assume you’re fond of his writing, so I’d pick up the rest. I did not like his latest work - Killing Commendatore - as much as the rest, but not because it was worse as a fictional work, so I’d still recommend reading it and even more so if you ever wished his characters were in their 40s rather than young adults.

He also has quite a few short story collections which are worth reading if you want more, but if you do not like the medium, then perhaps skip them. A few of the stories can also be found online if you want a taste, like this personal favorite of mine: On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning.

1 Like

Ben Aaronovitch - The Rivers of London series:

2 Likes

https://www.navalmanack.com

This is an great book about minimalism. Referencing quotes from Fight Club that are extremely relevant.

or just watch youtube

NKJV-Verse-by-Verse-Center-Column-Reference-Bible-Premier-Collection-39

4 Likes

1 Like

three-body-809x409

Remembrance of Earth’s Past (The Three-Body Problem / The Dark Forest / Death’s End) by Cixin Liu

Backcover description of the first book:

Set against the backdrop of China’s Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.

Wow, that’s the best SciFi I’ve read in a long time!

So what can I say about this serious without spoilering? This is clearly not typical SciFi. It’s original and unconventional in a refreshing way. It’s one of those books that leaves you exhausted and baffled and makes you rethink things. It has plot twists that surprise you (Book 1) it has some that will make you gasp for air, stumbling “Wait, what?” (Book 2) and it has concepts that will seriously mess with your mind and imagination (Book 3). You are even given the chance to figure things out by yourself, but you probably won’t.
This is a rather dark and depressing read and it’s epic, not just by the sheer number of pages (1568 in the english paperbacks) but also by plot, especially in Book Three.

If you like non-mainstream SciFi and prefer a good, deep, philosophical story over spacefights and action, look no further!

Disclaimer I have read the german versions of this books and therefore have no idea, how good the english translations are.

3 Likes

I like Robinson’s books. Didn’t know about this one, I just downloaded the audiobook, thanks for sharing it.
I absolutely love his Science in the Capital series and its follow-up “New York 2140”.

I know that the English ones are very good too.
I read them a few years back and they really live up to the contemporary sci-fi.
You can also check Peter Watts and Hannu Rajaniemi books

I’m reading Solo Levelling.

2 Likes

2 Likes