Books, what are you reading right now?

2 Likes

6 Likes

Back to a Malcolm Mackay. Glasgow Underworld Series Book 5.

2 Likes

'The Test of Courage The Michel Thomas Story" by Christopher Robbins

Michel Thomas was a Polyglot/Linguist, and decorated war veteran. A Nazi concentration camp survivor and French Resistance fighter, he also worked as a Nazi Hunter with the U.S. Army Counter Intelligence Corps. After the war, Thomas emigrated to the United States, where he developed a language-teaching system known as the “Michel Thomas method”.

A fascinating read!

Michel Thomas

3 Likes

“This is How They Tell Me the World Ends”
Nicole Perlroth
Absolutely phenomenal(to me) look into the world of 0 Day exploits and government involvement in the same.

Ready player Two by Ernest Cline

It is the events that follow the famous movie and novel Ready Player One. I decided to hop on the band wagon and give it a read. I got a paper copy, I don’t like digital books unless it’s related to school. I must say the cover design is interesting.

1 Like

Nnedi Okorafor’s books. Read Akata Witch, then Binti Trilogy and now reading Who Fears Death.
cover
Probably read all her books I can get my hands on.

2 Likes

Having recently finished both the TV show and the movie for watchmen, I’m now starting the graphic novel. Great story

2 Likes

An interesting video about story telling.

I got this for my birthday. A bit too difficult for me atm, but I’m not giving up :smiley:

978-0-27-108809-9md_294

5 Likes

Why the germans do it better-notes from a grown up country by John Kampfner.
My copy just arrived yesterday. I have to add the title is kind of misleading. Very thoughtful and authentic book.

3 Likes

Just started in on this series, which I somehow missed in my younger days…

promethea

2 Likes

I used to be a regular reader, today I don’t read any more, except for technical stuff like manuals and so on.

Got hold of that book. Started reading it. :slight_smile:

Lovely book! About 21% read.
Physics of the Impossible.

6 Likes

2 Likes

toilet grafitti:

nietzsche: gott ist tot!

gott: nietzsche ist tot :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s classics! :laughing:

However…Friedrich Nietzsche is very misunderstood, especially when it comes to “God is dead” statement :upside_down_face:

Also, for non German speakers it’s damn hard to get his work, because it’s very hard to translate his philosophy on most languages either without loosing musical / rhythmical quality or essence of his ideas…

Both are equally important :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

when i was younger, i read and loved his books with ardent zeal - also or just because it is no “easy listening”

perfect conformists for whom life is (supposedly) a walk in the park bore me to death. i guess i have a soft spot for people who break from reality like i do :slight_smile:

i agree with you, but the difficulty of porting over is very often given. just think of shakespeare, who also has a very specific rhythm and music. when translating into german, a lot of things fall by the wayside naturally.

3 Likes