Books, what are you reading right now?

If you want somewhere to get lost for a while - this is a good read!
crypto

4 Likes

Another of my all time favourite authors. Loving this new series.

queen of storms

I love Neal Stephenson. I just started this night before last…
fall

1 Like

The story line is a little dodgy…(sorry). but if you get in the right mindset…

I’ve like a lot of his stuff over the years, fromIn the Beginning was the Command Line through Zodiac and The Diamond Age to Anathem. You just don’t know here he’s going next! But the journey will be fun…

1 Like

Agreed. Anathem is probably my favorite thus far, but probably mainly because I work in academia and it’s such a wonderful send-up of academic culture. I’ve never read In the Beginning. I’ll add it to the list.

1 Like

It is not a typical novel - more of a rant! You might like a look at the “The Big U” if academia floats the boat :grin: "Command line is fun, though…

Does this count? :sweat_smile:

images

6 Likes

Not normally - you have to think of ++ :grin:

It’s for little raspberry pi projects…
Most of the stuff on there is either Python or C…

might expand to C++ or something else later though…

You only need C and shell, rest is…heretic & bloat :joy:

4 Likes

Well I’ve been told C is a good starter language, because it mainly teaches you ‘how NOT to program’ the hard way, because there are no safety measures in it :grin:

meaning, you have to learn to program defensive

edit:
@keybreak, here’s the foreword of another book about C I have, Learn C the hard way, by Zed A. Shaw:
(this might clarify what I meant above :slight_smile:)

C

6 Likes

But I already know how to *&%^$ up! Actually, I wouldn’t mind going through this - but the price here is a bit high for how much I would use the results anymore :frowning_face: Comments above VERY true though!

3 Likes

IMG_20210106_102705

6 Likes

I love Lem. His Master’s Voice is one of my favorite scifi novels.

2 Likes

51aZccsCITL.SX326_BO1,204,203,200

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Probably found one my favorite thriller authors now.

Lucy Foley’s The Hunting Party and The Guest List, just finished the latter and enjoying the other!

for the like 3rd time? apparently not enough yet. :joy:
index

6 Likes

Have you read the ‘Conclusion’ novels he added to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series? The quality of the writing returned to that of the first 6 or so entries…

1 Like

Absolutely! I did enjoy how he finished the series and got it back to the original flare of the early books. Also have read all the Stormlight Archive. Love his writing.