Books, what are you reading right now?

and

2 Likes

I read it in French (easier for me), digital edition. I quite recommend it

5 Likes

i still have the english original here, but the tiny font frightens my eyes a lot :confused:

interesting title

why not, which ones is it, for instance?

the movie “arsenic and old lace” with c.g. i remember gladly. the good old “melbourne method”, it passes quickly, as peter lorre hastily noted :slight_smile:

he seems to be keen on “interesting” titles. for example his Glasgow trilogy is :arrow_heading_down:

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter
How a Gunman Says Goodbye
The Sudden Arrival of Violence

1 Like

all good, as long as expectations don’t get disappointed - but you are right, names mean nothing.

shadow-of-the-wind

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’m reading the Fellowship of the Ring for the first time in 20 years or so. I read the Silmarillion last year and loved it.

3 Likes

@darkhorse Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like

@darkhorse
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Just Kids by Patti Smith:

Patti Smith Just Kids 2010 2011 paperback

3 Likes

proxy-image

Re-reding my favourite book.

1 Like

Neil Gaiman: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Ocean_at_the_End_of_the_Lane_US_Cover

3 Likes

This is a very good book. I read it last summer.
If I’m remembering it right, there are three parts to this.

I picked it up from the library because I had earlier read 1984 by George Orwell, and I thought 1Q84 by Murakami is related somewhat. Turned out that wasn’t the case, but liked the book still.

2 Likes

I don’t usually go in for short stories, but this collection has one of my favourite authors in Adrian Tchaikovsky. So far it’s been a very enjoyable read. :+1:t3:

elder things

I have learned over the years that it usually worth it to follow the enjoyable (or at least readable!) authors - regardless of the format. Your odds are so much better! :grin:

1 Like

The Fellowship of the Ring.

2 Likes

IMG_20201216_220322

Enjoying myself tremendously! Absolutely a recommendation to anyone who likes noir crime books. I just realized “Payback”, the movie, is based on this book.

1 Like

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology

1 Like

Taking a break from fiction. Decided to read some non-fiction.

Lars Brownworth’s Lost to the West - The Forgotten Byzantine Empire That Rescued Western Civilization

516TELvXBjL.SX327_BO1,204,203,200

It is a very good primer on the history of the Eastern Roman Empire, also known as the Byzantine Empire by historians, which fell in 1458. Nearly 1,000 years after the “fall” of the Roman Empire.

4 Likes